• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS2 problem: windows disappear or are always on top / overlap other programs

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This mistake happens totally randomly and usually after using the program after several minutes.

When I save or use any option, the toolbar or the (floating) window disappears and then re-appears when I click around a little. When I use for example the liquify option, the toolbar of the normal program will still be visible and overflow the liquify window. When I try to click on any other tab in my windows taskbar, it doesn't work at all without minimizing photoshop first. Or the toolbar will still overlap with other folders and programs.

I'm using Windows 7 and haven't changed anything. Anyone knows the problem or how I can fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Hi Anshie,

I had the same problem with a perfectly fine working CS2 on Windows 7 64-bit. The problem started about 6 days ago. I ended up uninstalling all Microsoft updates since 4/14/2016 and it looks like I have isolated the problem to KB3145739 (Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-039, Security update for Windows Graphics Component). I have reinstalled all other updates and have not seen the problem anymore. I will update this post in case the problem shows again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 109 Replies 109
Explorer ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Should be either kb3153731 or kb3153199. At least so far I didn't have the error when those two were uninstalled.

By the way I'd say CS2 is not the only program having trouble with this. I had a problem with twitter recently. Only on this website, I suddenly had tons of "No reaction" and "Script stopped working" errors. I'm not sure if and how this can be related to a Windows update but after uninstalling the above mentioned two, twitter seems to work fine again. What the hell is wrong with these updates recently? D:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Anshie. I was just looking at the long list of new updates. I will leave those two out.

Actually, that's good news about other programs being affected as well. At least that makes it more likely that a fix might be devised.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It hit me too.

I have these new updates (all about an update of the microsoft graphics components).

kb3156016 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3156016

kb3156013 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3156013

kb3156019 - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3156019

I don't have time to figure out which one causes the problme again right now. Does somebody have a clue?

Thanks

--

UPDATE:

Hi Anshie. Yes, it's KB3153199. The microsoft description was a bit the same as in KB3145739. The deinstallation took an hour. That's not good a signal for the stability of windows. Patchday is every month. I don't think there will be any solution ever for CS2. CS2 needs an update, but there won't be any.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's such a pain in the ass. I wonder how other people do it because it seems like not everyone using CS2 is having these problems. Isn't there any other forum or official to write to? I really don't wanna go through this every months now and switching to another photoshop isn't really an option.

What are you going to do?

@Dan: Sadly I must ruin the hope here. Seems like the problem with twitter remains and it was probably not connected to a Windows update but rather to Firefox. It doesn't happen in Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 13, 2016 May 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Chris,

I'll leave that one out when I update (been holding off).

Not seeing this erratic behavior on Windows 10 (64-bit). Another "push" by MS to get people to update?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 16, 2016 May 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you look at the files that were changed in KB3145739 and KB3153199, the file shared between them is win32k.sys. What this most likely means is that any future Windows Update that includes that file will make the problem come back.

We basically have to rely on Microsoft for a fix (since Photoshop CS2 obviously won't get fixed), but probably safe to say that Microsoft won't fix anything, unless other (still supported) programs are also breaking. If it's just affecting Photoshop CS2, I'd guess we're stuck. It's possible that Adobe used some obscure or unsupported code path or functionality in CS2 that has now been "fixed" by Microsoft that results in the window layering problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2016 Jun 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where can I check which file was changed in which update? Would be helpful to see which future update changes this win32k.sys thing, so we could get rid of it right away. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 06, 2016 Jun 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can get a list for this year's updates here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/894199

It's not the easiest to use (you have to open each update and look at the file modification list), but it's a start.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just want to say ...... I LOVE YOU GUYS ........ this has been driving me nutts!!!! never thought it would have a solution....FANTASTIC you have made me so happy as most of my work is on Photoshop CS2

I followed your advice and tracked down the Windows Update KB3145739 and KB3153199 uninstalled the little blighters and this seems to have done the trick after weeks of stress!!!! So happy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 17, 2016 May 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Likewise. Thanks everyone! It makes a huge difference not having to chase around the screen looking for the Photoshop window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2016 Jun 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another possible solution that I found -

https://www.reddit.com/r/photoshop/comments/35lmtu/photoshop_keeps_putting_itself_in_front_of_my/

Increasing the memory usage in Photoshop appears to have fixed the issue. [Edit > Preferences > Memory & Image Cache]

(Tested it for 30 min, which usually should not last that long).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jun 11, 2016 Jun 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think if I remember correctly, I tried that do but it didn't help. Right now I can't try again because photoshop is running just fine. (Thanks god!) Lets wait for the next horrible windows update that will ruin it. 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 17, 2016 Jun 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with 15.06.2016 there come new MS Updates u have to uninstall.

KB3164033

KB3164035

KB3161664

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like this is going to be an ongoing thing with Photoshop and Windows Updates.

I admit I'm a little concerned that not having these updates might potentially be de-stabilizing my computer... I already skipped on a few updates to avoid Windows 10, and now the thing doesn't seem to be working quite right as a whole

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 01, 2016 Jul 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it's only KB3161664. The main problem is win32k.sys as jpasher-dmv already found out. I agree, this is not only annoying, but removing the MS security fixes might also have some side-effects which are hard to figure out. But upgrading to CS6 from CS2 was simply too expensive for me and is no longer a real option. And, I am not a fan of any cloud offering, including Adobe CC. So, I guess anyone who still wants to use the formerly perfectly fine working CS2 has to deal with the removal of MS patches every Patch Tuesday

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And it's broken again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2016 Jul 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with 13.07.2016 there come new MS Updates u have to uninstall.

KB3168965

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I am another one having problems with CS2 (on Windows 7) and getting worse for about 4 months. Like many of us I use it daily and it started when suddenly there appeared an introductory panel on the work area (after it was turned on).

Anyway, I am no techie and I have yet to see if I am capable of disabling those updates.

One thing I do think though, among the rest of us, it isn't good enough for Adobe to shrug their shoulders when we have all paid a hell of a lot of money for their software, and often depend on it. I have wasted hours trying to work out why images are disappearing and then restoring themselves ...panels disappearing  ...the whole thing freezing...Heaven help you if you forgot to save.

I feel better for that...at least my misery has company! Now lets see if I can find out how to delete the updates!

I wonder if it also has anything to do with the Wacom tablet losing its software every couple of months! And that silly puddle effect also down to Microsoft (which I have found how to eliminate). .I have avoided Windows 10 precisely because of fear of software messing things up...and it sounds just as bad from what people have said here!

Thanks for giving me hope!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 25, 2017 Feb 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(Windows 7)

Well, I found C>Users>username(me)> Adobe>Photoshop....but could find no way of finding the Windows downloads???

I would be grateful if anyone can help. I tried to take a screenshot of the last bit but must have messed up! Like I say, I have a white stick when it comes to that part of IT.

Please and thank you. Julia

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 26, 2017 Feb 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Windows 7 after a point I cannot progress

Computer>local disk C>tools>folder options> view....but after that I can't see what I should be doing to find the wretched downloads.

I will be grateful for any help. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 05, 2017 Mar 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the record...touch wood since I have increased the memory of CS 2 (as some kind soul advised here)  it is working normally...that is after the computer had been re-booted. I can hardly believe it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too have CS2 installed but on Windows 10 Preview CS2 is not working as well as it does on older Windows versions.

CS3 I have not had installed for many years.  I do remember I found CS3 the be one of the best Photoshop version out of the gate.  New scripting support in CS3 made writing Photoshop plug-in script  possible. You can pass parameters to scripts recorded by the script into action steps. I did not encounter any new bugs added in CS3 with what I do in Photoshop.   I can not state that about any newer versions of Photoshop.  I do remember there is a bug in CS2 Scripting I had to code around that was fixed in CS3. There are bugs in every version of Photoshop. CS6 was the buggiest version ever released.  CS3 was also back in Windows XP timeframe. I have no idea how CS3 would perform and behave on my Windows 10 machines. What version of windows do you use.  Your windows version may effect the way a photoshop version behaves.,

When newer version of Photoshop start up they will repeatedly steal focus from other application you trying to was while Photoshop is starting up.  

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 21, 2017 Jul 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am getting exactly the same issues as everyone else posting on this thread, windows 7 (and others 10) MS updates to the way the windows core "window" driver win32k.sys works to plug a security broke the CS2 window functionality apparently last year.

However I had not noticed a problem until very recently because I had turned auto updates off last year. Then in May I applied a cumulative security patch which included this graphics one and found that my CS2 was now broken.

It obviously has conflicts in the way it does window priorities in win 7 as my usual PS CS5 has no such issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 14, 2016 Jul 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for keeping this updated. What a pain it is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 19, 2016 Jul 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated to Windows 10 and that was the first thing I checked. I thought it was fine, and then I was editing a 43mb file to which I added an a new full layer, then applied the dust and scratches filter and the image flashed away. I alt-tabbed to a browser, and then an email window, but the Photoshop window remained in the foreground. Had a few programs open, including Lightroom. Photoshop memory was set at 51% (32GB total ram in my system). I upped that to 64% and restarted. So far, I have not seen the issue, but I'm wondering if it shows up when Photoshop reaches a memory limit and has to start swapping to disk? At least it works OK now, so there is a direction for SOME solution for Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines