• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS2 problem: windows disappear or are always on top / overlap other programs

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2016 Apr 18, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This mistake happens totally randomly and usually after using the program after several minutes.

When I save or use any option, the toolbar or the (floating) window disappears and then re-appears when I click around a little. When I use for example the liquify option, the toolbar of the normal program will still be visible and overflow the liquify window. When I try to click on any other tab in my windows taskbar, it doesn't work at all without minimizing photoshop first. Or the toolbar will still overlap with other folders and programs.

I'm using Windows 7 and haven't changed anything. Anyone knows the problem or how I can fix it?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Apr 20, 2016 Apr 20, 2016

Hi Anshie,

I had the same problem with a perfectly fine working CS2 on Windows 7 64-bit. The problem started about 6 days ago. I ended up uninstalling all Microsoft updates since 4/14/2016 and it looks like I have isolated the problem to KB3145739 (Microsoft Security Bulletin MS16-039, Security update for Windows Graphics Component). I have reinstalled all other updates and have not seen the problem anymore. I will update this post in case the problem shows again.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 109 Replies 109
Explorer ,
Jul 29, 2016 Jul 29, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE - CS2 gets erratic under Windows 10 too. It works normally for a while, but then starts the same behavior of staying on top of other applications, or blanking out the window when certain filters are applied. It's seems a bit more tolerable though, in that closing and restarting the program sets it back to normal for a while. I also got a memory error from Windows once while using PS CS2. I had about 4 programs open (including Lightroom and Imatch), but I have 32GB of ram, so that should not have been an issue. That's only happened once so far, but that and the way restarting seems to fix things for a while makes me feel it's a Windows memory issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 09, 2016 Aug 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We've got new Microsoft Updates

Can anybody confirm if any of the new ones disrupt things or not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot, but I am having terrible issues with CS2 and Windows 10, so I will revert to Windows 7 and would also be interested in the answer to your question, anyone. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do not use CS2 on Windows 10 much to be able to answer the question.  When I do use it on Windows 10.  The only problems I seem to have is some of my scripts have been updated to use features not in CS2.  CS2 otherwise seem to be OK and is open  bellow the Chrome append I'm making now. I had to comment out a line in my script to build this collage.Capture.jpg.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 10, 2016 Aug 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem with Windows 7 Updates and Photoshop CS2

9.8.2016 MS updates

dont install or deinstall

KB3177725

KB3178034

I hope this helps anyone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 11, 2016 Aug 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for everyone who keeps this list updated!

My main problem still is that all these monthly updates get installed automatically every month and I have to deinstall them manually. No chance to deactivate the auto-installation no matter what I do.

I have another question:

Does anyone have CS3? I'm wondering if this version shows the same problem or if it's already "new enough" to deal with those updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check this site to configurate your Windows Updates.

How To Change Windows Update Settings (Windows 10, 8, 7+)

CS3 is the first Version which Support Windows 7. So it is possible, that this is the first Version without this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much!

By the way:

I only uninstalled KB3177725 this time. I still have KB3178034 installed right now and everything works fine. (Just in case others want to compare.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously? You are disabling Microsoft security updates so you can run 12 year old software?

This is a TERRIBLE idea. There will be side-effects all right, sooner or later your computer will be pwned and either part of a botnet, have a cryptolocker on it, or just have data stolen.

This situation is a message from God that its time to move on from CS2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2016 Aug 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found a decent solution!

BUT SEE NOTE AT THE BOTTOM

I found a solution that works on my machine.

This is what worked for me: PLEASE BE CAREFUL AND DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. I'm not responsible if you mess something up.

I suspected it was a memory issue, which seemed crazy, since I have 32gb of RAM in my machine.

First, I reinstalled Windows 10 (but this solution should also work with Windows 7 WITH the security patches installed).

I set the 3 GB switch in Windows as in this post (never even knew this existed):

Fixing memory issues with the 3GB switch for Vista and Windows7 (32-bit) - Software/Hardware Require...

Next I opened MSCONFIG.EXE, clicked the ADVANCED button and noticed that the number of processors in my system was listed as 1 (it's an 8-core AMD). I changed that number to 8 (set yours to however many cores you have in your processor (check device manager to see that info.).

Next to the number of processors box is a box to set the Maximum Memory. I checked that and I thought I changed it to 32000, though in this screen it shows 0, which I think tells the system to use all the memory available. It would not let me enter a 0 though.

Please read this post first, to understand the hows and whys:

Fix the Maximum Amount of Memory Usable by Windows 7 64-bit

Here is a screen grab of my MSCONFIG screen:

msconfig-processors.JPG

Reboot your system.

I have Photoshop, Lightroom, Imatch5, Chrome and MS Mail open and just edited a huge 350mb file with 0 issues - no flashing screen, no disappearing image, no stubborn stay-on-top window. Widows also seems much more responsive than it did before I changed these settings.

NOTE: OK, everything was perfect. I have PS set to use a 1.6 GB Ramdisk for its primary swap space. With the large file above, that was going over that space and into the 2nd swap disk. No problem with that. But when I went to EDIT/PURGE/HISTORIES thinking that would free up the primary swap space, it did, but then the Photoshop window had to be minimized to bring other program windows to the foreground. Except for this behavior which showed only after 45+ minutes spent editing a huge file, it ran flawlessly. I think the bad behavior we've experienced has been related to memory issues. I'm going to increase the RAMDISK (or just not use it for Photoshop) to see if that eliminates that behavior completely, though I rarely edit files this large anyway.

Sorry this was such a long post.

Again, please proceed cautiously. If you don't understand what you're doing, please ask a computer nerd friend.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 14, 2016 Aug 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One followup:

I had a few of those old issues after editing that huge file, and then ran into Windows memory errors. A little research on that pointed to virtual memory / swap file issues.

I have Windows 10 on a system with only a 128gb SSD drive with swap file set for that drive. I have three additional drives in my system, one of which had a swap file on it. I created a 1GB swap file on drive C: (the SSD drive) and then an additional SYSTEM MANAGED swap file on Drive D (also an SSD), and an additional SYSTEM MANAGED swap file on Drive G (a HDD). I also have increased the size of the RAMDISK that holds the Photoshop swap file to 2GB.

I just spent about two hours editing a 47mb tiff file and had no issues at all with flashing screens, disappearing windows or any issues where the Photoshop window insisted on staying on top of other windows. I'm really happy with this.

Some techies might argue that the 2gb ram disk is a waste of memory, but it works well for me to have that for my Photoshop swap file. Your mileage may vary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 19, 2016 Aug 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a feeling that due to Microsoft's upcoming "updates are now cumulative untoggable patches only" policy that soon we won't be able to do anything about this anymore.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The steps I took above helped a lot. It will still get erratic when I have a lot of programs open, but when it does, I close and restart Photoshop and it goes back to behaving normally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is, I keep seeing that "3gb switch" thing coming up for 32-bit versions of Windows 7, and I have the 64-bit version. I tried looking it up and what I found said that turning it on in the 64-bit version of Windows 7 causes problems.

Can anybody verify?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the 64-bit version, but have not seen any new problems since turning it on about two weeks ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Then you can confirm that, after turning on the 3gb switch and installing the microsoft security patches that are causing Photoshop CS2 to operate improperly, in a Windows 7 64-bit system, that photoshop behaves normally?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry - that's Windows 10. I can't confirm on Windows 7 - I don't remember if I turned it on before reinstalling Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 22, 2016 Aug 22, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Windows 7 64-bit on my personal PC and my work-related Macbook, I decided to try it on the bootcamped Macbook first since I could always reinstall that without losing much since I back everything up.

After changing it to the 3GB switch, the first two days, it seemed to work, but on the third day, the problems resumed, so that didn't fix it. I don't know if the fact it was bootcamp was relevant, but still, it didn't fix things.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2016 Sep 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am extremely happy with the findings so far although they may not be perfect. I have been struggling for months with this problem and only found the discussion on this forum an hour or so ago, just before I decided to reinstall CS2. Clearly, that wouldn't have served any purpose. Thank you all for your contributions, if I find something useful to add I will surely do so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 11, 2016 Sep 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not perfect, but better than it was. Just remember that it may start acting up at some point. When it does, just close and restart the program. Sometimes it will be well behaved with other programs for half an hour or more of heavy use before it starts acting up. Restarting seems to take care of that for another long time. I've noticed that opening and applying filters often pushes it over the edge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 13, 2016 Sep 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, it's update time again

hope for anwers if something breaks with this one

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The latest update is causing the usual problems

The following security updates were installed

I've uninstalled all of these for now but if there are any that I can reinstall please let me know. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 15, 2016 Sep 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you have to deinstall

KB3175024

KB3185911

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 07, 2016 Oct 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm running Windows 7 64 bit and Photoshop CS2 and I used the solution posted by Dan2000 (post #53 on Aug 13).   It seems to be working perfectly.   I did not do the 3G thingy since I'm not running 32 bit.   Seems this is a much better alternative than constantly removing security updates that might prove to be a disaster down the road.   Big thanks to Dan2000.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 08, 2016 Oct 08, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't remember what I found in my research, but I'm not sure the 3gb switch is necessary.

You may still see some quirkiness after having PS open a while with other programs.

Here are some other things that seem to work well for me, after setting the options mentioned in my older post:

I set the Photoshop memory use to maximum, then make that the first program I open. Then I open Imatch (my image database - and an amazing program), then I open Lightroom. Seems the order is important. I can also open email and Chrome.

Since CS2 is a 32-bit program, I'm not sure it uses an inordinate amount of RAM. (But, I'm no expert.)

These are my latest tweaks to my process and so far, they seem to work well. If Photoshop ever starts to get quirky, I just close and repoen it.

Dan

p.s. It is helpful to monitor memory usage in Task Manager.  I also use a program called Memory Cleaner, but I'm not sure it's necessary either. I can only spend so much time on tweaking.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines