• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS3 Public Beta - MacTel - Plug-Ins

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 02, 2007 Mar 02, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How many developers have downloaded the CS3 public beta?
How many developers have downloaded the CS3 public beta SDK?
How many developers have their plug-ins running natively on MacTel? UniversalBinary?

I would like to hear your pain points and what I can do in the SDK to make life easier for future developers trying to move from CodeWarrior to XCode.

One big pain point I know of is debugging. Trying to debug a plug-in in XCode is very difficult. Does anyone have any tricks they can share? I know of two: 1) become a gdb expert (not an easy task), 2) use DebugStr(foo); and that will stop XCode if you have Break on DebugStr turned on.
TOPICS
SDK

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2007 Mar 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Debugging works for me using the following:

- ALL binaries involved are for a single platform, including XCode, the debugger, and the host. I only get it working for intel binaries on intel machines involving all intel apps. Trying to debug PS in PPC mode for PPC plugin binary on intel fails. The debugger then reports that it can not determine the binary type of the executable (PS).

- Photoshop points to the build directory to look for the plugin binary. I have my build directory set to a custom repository folder, so it does not necessarily have to be the project folder as far as I can tell.

- Obviously, a plugin project requires an added executable = Photoshop. I have no additional settings, vars or scripts.

- In the XCode project settings, make sure that ALL optimization options are OFF. These are not OFF by default, even though the projects come with a default "debug" setting.

TIP: You can select the project file and make settings, and you can select the target file and make settings. The latter overwrites the former. I have the target settings set to have NO custom settings whatsoever. This ensures that there is only one place where I make settings which are dense enough as it is...

- Breaking works on the first invocation of the plugin only. With subsequent invocations the link is lost, which I presume has something to do with PS unloading the binary. I recall a similar problem back in the old days of components where a glue component was suggested to do your own loading and unloading of code.

As for pains:

My biggest issue currently is obsolescence of the host technology for Filter plugins.
- When processing events in the plugin GUI, I frequently receive the same event during host callbacks while I'm still processing the initial event.
- In addition the host still requires a Quickdraw environment which isn't really available anymore.
- If display pixels would support some additional bit depths, it would significantly reduce the complexity of plugin GUIs and the number of internal plugin buffers. It would also overcome the problem of displaying 32bit linear data...!

On the Apple OS side:
- I have implemented a GUI in Cocoa which works fine (don't tell Chris 😉 ). However, there is a problem with inter window communication.

In general I also believe that the FilterRecord struct is getting a bit aged and overcrowded. A newly designed and more robust interface might be welcome. Splitting up certain functions between new types of filter plugins perhaps...

Oh, and did I mention re-entrancy yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2007 Mar 08, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am developing a file format plugin and have downloaded the CS3 beta and the CS3 beta SDK. My biggest problem so far is the lack of XCode documentation in the SDK. Almost all of the documentation refers to CodeWarrior development, which is no longer relevant. The only XCode documentation I can find is in the HTML documentation in the section "Making Xcode Projects for Mac OS." I would like to see updated documentation which discusses the use of Xcode instead of CodeWarrior. I also find that there is a lack of documentation on developing plugin User Interfaces, such as dialogs, for Mac OS plugins.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 09, 2007 Mar 09, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: Xcode docs, I just use a Makefile anyway. :)

Re: UI, you can use Carbon API as usual.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 14, 2007 Mar 14, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For the UI, can the Adobe Dialog Manager be used? The plugin is for Windows and Mac, so isn't the Adobe Dialog Manager the platform independent method of implementing the UI?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 24, 2007 Jul 24, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am a new member in implementing PS plug-in on Mac OS
Please share me some hints to implement a PS plug-in by using C Carbon on Macintosh.
Because my knowledge in plug-in on Mac OS is very poor, so that it's the best way if you show me the step by step to create a PS plug-in project by using C Carbon framework on Mac OS

Please contact me via email ID: thuongdn@fsoft.com.vn

Thanks for your help
ThuongDN

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jul 25, 2007 Jul 25, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As replied by email, one "step by step" might be to examine the complete source code to Carbon plugins on my site. Actually, all of those plugins are Win32/Carbon/Classic portable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 29, 2007 Aug 29, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way to make a plugin that works on both CS2 and CS3?

Only being able to debug the plugin on the first load is a *real* pain.. Cause my plugin has some state and it only kicks in when you run the plugin twice.

There are a bazilion XCode settings, and I feel like I'm just swimming around in a sea of them without really knowing what they mean. The Acrobat SDK has all the settings in config files, which may be better (although I *just* got all my XCode photoshop settings under control).

I wish I could find out more about how to display images in an ADM dialog. I can't find a good example of just showing a logo on your dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 31, 2007 Aug 31, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi William,

maybe this will help you a bit:
http://support.adobe.com/devsup/devsup.nsf/docs/51868.htm

My main problem with the whole icon/bitmap issue is that I can't get my hands on ResEdit/Resorcerer or a decent rez language documentation, so I'm practically stuck on how to add icons/bitmaps to a mac .r file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 03, 2007 Sep 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> Is there any way to make a plugin that works on both CS2 and CS3?

Trivial. Check my Makefiles, or the Xcode instructions in the SDK.

No source changes are required (if you write ordinary portable code).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Sep 03, 2007 Sep 03, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

> I can't get my hands on ResEdit/Resorcerer or a decent rez language documentation

The relevant documentation is Building and Managing Programs in MPW.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2008 Apr 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cs3 beta link is here

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/photoshopcs3/
http://www.adobe.com/support/contact/cs3clean.html

kraloyun
yuju
fotoput
resim

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 17, 2008 Apr 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no Talkback on Intel-based Macs when running natively or under Rosetta. The Apple Crash report program should launch in the event of application crashes

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 23, 2008 Jun 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi , maybe my blog can help you i have some sites about cars and hotels

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 31, 2008 Jul 31, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

the adobe CS3 package still has some windows vista issues, especially Indesign crashes a lot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 16, 2008 Sep 16, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Very interesting writeup thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines