Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 bug: brush cursor display is incomplete

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2008 Oct 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed CS4 under WinXP, 4G RAM.

I've set my brush cursors to show full size. The cursor displays correctly for brush sizes up to about 150 px. Beyond 150 px, the circle representing the brush size gets truncated: at 170 px, it's down to a half-circle, at 200 px it's down to one-third of a circle, and at 300 px all that remains is a small curved line segment.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 224 Replies 224
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2009 Apr 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry to keep this going but I've just upgraded to CS4 and am suffering from the fragmented cursor bug in spite of having the latest NVIDIA driver. It might be nice but I really couldn't care less about graphics hardware acceleration and would happily turn it off if that would make my cursors in CS4 display properly. But in my Edit>Preferences>Performance window the "Enable OpenGL Drawing" setting is already unchecked and greyed out and the message "No GPU options available with Photoshop Standard" is displayed. In the Description panel the message "Graphics hardware acceleration is unavailable. You will need to upgrade your video driver and possibly your video card" is displayed.

I've upgraded to the latest video driver with no result. Is my NVIDIA GeForce 8500GT, with driver 182.50 released just 10 days ago, really so out of date that I have to change the card?

To me a computer and its programs are a means to an end and I am happy to leave how it gets there to the manufacturers. Photoshop is not a cheap product and surely the least Adobe could do is to make sure it works with the hardware it is likely to be used on. They obviously know about this issue so why release the product before the issue has been resolved? From my perspective I've just shelled out good money for something that doesn't work properly and whether it's Adobe's fault or NVIDIA's fault is of no concern to me. Between them it should have been sorted before now.  If I buy a new car I don't expect to have to rebuild the road before I can use it!

I have reported the matter to NVIDIA but wanted to express my frustration here in the hope that someone at Adobe might take note.

OK, rant over and if I've missed something obvious will someone please advise me. If my lack of knowledge is the cause of the problem then I will happily retract all nasty comments, and even nastier thoughts, about hardware and software developers.

Roger

XP Pro SP3, NVIDIA FeForce 8500GT driver 182.50, CS4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be a lot of things:

1. Did you apply the CS4 update?

2. Check motherboard for bios update?

3. There is a C++ runtime update for 2008

4. Try older drivers?

5. I know it is opengl but there is a directx update. Can't hurt to update.

Here is a link to driver sweeper. Follow the instructions.

http://www.phyxion.net/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply, dec9. Since my original post I have heard from NVIDIA and after following their advice to uninstall the display driver before installing a new one, which I didn't do before, everything now seems to be working fine.

So I eat humble pie and offer my apologies to Adobe and NVIDIA for blaming them.

Roger

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cool beans! glad to hear you're working!

dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 11, 2009 Mar 11, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris:

Sorry to report that I had to return to Nvidia 179.48 driver because the 182.08 (Quadro version) was unstable in my 1730 laptop. Those of us without a complete solution should have some hope however, that as newer drivers are developed for our computers (including mobile versions), we should have the problem resolved. Indeed Chris, the solution is squarely in the hands of GPU manufacturers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2009 Mar 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I can get some advice. When I install Windows XP (or Quadro) 182.08 driver, the cursor problem is eliminated. However, I noticed that I also lost several key fonts (Minon Pro and Myriad Pro are the most important). The fonts are still there, but cannot be used. Further, I cannot load these or other fonts from the CS4 "Goodies" file. I remove the old files and when I try to install the replacement files, I get a message saying the fonts may be corrupt. This is not true since when I go back to using 179.48 driver, the fonts are fine and I am able to add fonts from the "suspect" CS4 disk.

It could be that in order to use the 182.08 driver, I must use a modded driver since I'm trying to install on a Dell XPS M1730 laptop (with a Dell 24" external monitor).

Any suggestions?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 15, 2009 Mar 15, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think there is a problem with the 182.08 driver. I got a reply from Nvidia support when I reported my cursor fixed but new OpenGL problems and the response was:

"Sorry to hear about the new problem with the updated driver. It looks like our engineers inadvertently broke something in the process as they were fixing a related issues. There is a newer beta driver posted at a 3rd party site that you may want to try. I suspect this driver was leaked to them awhile back from an unknown source.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/GeForce-ForceWare-185.20-XP-32-bit-download-2154.html

If this driver produce the same behavior, we may have to waiting a bit for the next driver update"

I chose not to try out the untested 185.20 driver (instead I've gone back to v182.06 with the cursor probs) as I looked at a user forum on it (which is linked to on the above download page) and others (tho not all) were experiencing some problems with it (game related, but 3D probs).

I personally will wait instead till Nvidia officially release it in the hopes that it will be better. But someone else may care to give it a go.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ron,

I'll take a look at the issue you mentioned with the fonts. I'm not sure what could be causing an issue like that with installed fonts.

Sean

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 18, 2009 Mar 18, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sean:

FYI, I'm sure this is a driver issue, since it has happened in the past when I upgraded drivers. It's just frustrating since I thought I had the "final solution." I have now gone to Nvidia 181.22 (a CUDA driver) that seems quite stable but apparently doesn't have the cursor fix incorporated (for an external monitor). Cursor still works on the parent laptop monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 19, 2009 Mar 19, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

u r going to ask computer technician for help
gone case for u about the cursor thing
but ask the computer technician to download the ndivia for you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no need to upgrade driver

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+ bring the motherboard down to the computer technician

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes need to upgrade driver. this is a driver issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dave:

Yea, I'll just have to wait until a newer driver is released. I'm already pushing the Nvidia envelope now. So its a game of writing to Nvidia and play wait-and-see as new drivers are released.

I really didn't follow what "cjmah" was trying to say...

You know using an external monitor on a laptop environment is a different breed of cat versus straight laptop displays or even multiple monitors on a desktop. We just wait to see what cards we're dealt.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>I really didn't follow what "cjmah" was trying to say.

good. especially the parts about taking your system apart and bringing the motherboard to a technician! :)

my best advice would be: "Don't Do That."... XD

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

no need i heard from the computer technician
u bring the desktop down to fix the problem if u have destop
if u are using laptop remember to bring the laptop and adaptor down to the computer technician to fix the problem
sorry for the problem i say

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can hear the sound of hundreds of people removing their motherboard out of the case.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the language barrier. i'm sure he's saying a tech fixed his problem. i'm sure he did, but many people don't need a tech to install drivers, although they can.

just to be clear, it's not a hardware issue, it's a driver problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 24, 2009 Mar 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with my Cintiq, Adobe is not taking any responsibily for this, see a copy of my support case below:

UpdatedTuesday, March 24, 2009 2:02:53 AM PDT
OpenedFriday, January 9, 2009 7:29:20 AM PST
StatusClosed
ProductDesign Standard 4.0
Support contract Adobe Support Program
SubjectPS CS4 cannot see brush tool
Notes & responsesNotes to CustomerTuesday, March 24, 2009 2:01:36 AM PDT
Dear Mr Graziani,

As advised previously this is an issue with a 3rd party software, you
will need to speak to Watcom directly as to when they are releasing new
drivers

As per your email you have installed this on a new system and it works
fine without the Watcom tablet

Warm Regards

Ifty

Adobe Technical Support
Notes from CustomerMonday, March 23, 2009 8:11:45 AM PDT

Hello Ifty,

Don't you think it's a bit outrageous for you to ask me to change graphics card?

If it was some obscure made, then I could even be forthcoming & give it a go. But this is Nvidia we are talking about, a market lead
er!!!

Have the Adobe team overlooked this & created a software that is not compatible with Nvidia cards?

I wanted to answer the above question myself, so I proceeded & intalled PS CS4 on another PC using an Nvidia 9400, surprise surprise
, the brush tool works fine here...

The issue is obviously between PS CS4 the wacom Cintiq.

Now, instead of trying to blame everybody else other than yourselves, why don't you guys take responsibility for your own software &
provide me with a viable solution?

Thanks,

Matt.
Notes to CustomerThursday, March 19, 2009 1:59:24 AM PDT

Dear Mr Graziani,

As per our previous email this is a third party component issue and not
photoshop related issue

We would advise seeking a refund on your graphics card and purchasing a
NON NVIDIA card

Warm Regards

Ifty

Adobe Technical Support
Notes from CustomerThursday, March 19, 2009 12:54:49 AM PDT
OK, so could you explain why does PS CS3 work fine on the cintiq?
Notes to CustomerFriday, March 13, 2009 3:44:41 AM PDT

Dear Mr. Graziani,

Thank you for your update, this issue is caused by the NVIDIA drivers
and not the Photoshop software. We would advise seeking a refund for
your graphics card and buy another non NVIDIA card which does not suffer
from the issue.

Yours sincerely,
Adobe Technical Support
Notes from CustomerFriday, March 6, 2009 6:51:31 AM PST

Hello Tim,

As suggested by you, I updated both the graphics card drives (Version: 182.08 - Release Date: 03.03.2009) & the Cintiq 12WX drivers
(Driver 6.1.0-6 (RC) for USB Tablets on Windows Vista & XP (32 & 64 bit) Release Date: 12/15/08).

As you can see by the attached, matters are even worse now. Before I had troubles seing the brush cursor in CS4, now it doesn't even
display the image anymore!

Now if you compare it to the same image displayed on the cintiq but in Photoshop CS3 (bottom image on the attached) you will realise
that the issue is not the graphic card or the wacom cintiq, the issue is PS CS4!

Knowing that Adobe is a reputable company, I am confident that (seen the attached evidence) you guys will be more than happy to eith
er offer some kind of refund or a heavily discounted price on the next version of Adobe Photoshop.

Thanks,

D M Graziani
Notes to CustomerFriday, February 13, 2009 1:20:43 AM PST

Dear Mr. Graziani,

We can confirm that this is a known issue with the Nvidea card. Nvidia
needs to fix this and they are currently working on it. Please keep a
keen eye on Nvidea's website as they should be releasing new drivers for
the card sometime soon. Please contact them if you require further info
on this. We will let you know if we hear something first.

Yours sincerely,
Tim Wilson
Adobe Technical Support
Notes from CustomerWednesday, February 4, 2009 2:23:58 AM PST

Hello Ifty,

I tried all that, but it's still not working. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Matt.
Notes to CustomerThursday, January 29, 2009 2:24:02 AM PST

Dear Mr Graziani,

Further to your email I have found a possible solution to this,

There is known issue with the Nvidia Graphics card on Creative Suite
Product

If you could go to our website and type the following address
http://www.adobe.com/go/kb407708

There are 2 solutions available on this document

Solution 1: Update your video card driver.
Download the most recent version of the display driver from your display
card manufacturer's website. Follow the directions on how to update your
video card from the display card manufacturer or operating system's
website.

Note: If updating your driver does not solve the problem, then regularly
check for new drivers.

Solution 2: Disable GPU support
Close all image windows.
Deselect Enable OpenGL Drawing in Photoshop > Edit > Preferences >
Performance (Windows).
Reopen your images.

I believe this will resolve the problem for you

If I can be any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me

Warm Regards
Ifty

Notes from CustomerWednesday, January 21, 2009 8:59:41 AM PST

Thanks Ifty,

I tried the steps you suggested to no avail. Please provide me with a patch to fix this or replacement software as CS3 works fine it
's only PS CS4 that does it. Hence, I believe it's the software.

Thanks,

DG
Notes to CustomerMonday, January 19, 2009 7:33:59 AM PST

Dear Mr Graziani,

Many thanks for calling adobe Technical Support REF to an issue you
encountered with Photoshop CS4 Brush tool

I have found the problem causing this and possible solutions please see
below

NVidia's multiple monitor software (NView) has caused many problems in
the past.
Could you switch that software off and let the OS manage the dual
monitors and try again? Also, just to make sure, have the Cintiq
tablet/monitor as the lone monitor by disconnecting the other monitor to
see if that solves it. I doubt that the issue is due to the Cintiq
specifically - it may have to do with the screen's resolution but it
would happen with any 13" monitor, not just the Cintiq.

If I can be any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact
Adobe Technical Support

Warm Regards
Ifty

Adobe Technical Support

Notes from CustomerFriday, January 9, 2009 7:42:40 AM PST
issue restarted as soon as I re-started PS
AttachmentsCS4---cintiq-12.jpg (view)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mar 24, 2009 Mar 24, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

>, Adobe is not taking any responsibily for this

BECAUSE IT'S A DRIVER PROBLEM!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 01, 2009 Jul 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THAT IS THE SMAE PROBLEM I AM HAVING HERE IN JULY 2,2009. CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To sum things up: the corrective action is to update your drivers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Read the whole thread and you'll find the answer!

Did you read this at the top of the forum?

http://forums.adobe.com/thread/433020?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well,Josh, I did everything that was suggested for my Mac osx. In PS I disabled my "openGL Drawing" , I researched my NVIDIA GeForce 7300 GT: and found no updates available.

BTW I rebooted just to be on the safe side. I udated my Wacom pen driver. This morning I retested my brush and it is still misbehaving by drawing smaller than the circle shows.

I never had this problem with CS3.

Any other ideas? I searched as many brush or pen settings as I can think of to make sure all pen pressure settings are off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jul 02, 2009 Jul 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Not everything is the same as the origional problem as you wrote.

Your system is mac. This is a windows forum

The OP was not using WACOM

Please post your problem in the MAC forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines