Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS4 bug: brush cursor display is incomplete

New Here ,
Oct 15, 2008 Oct 15, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed CS4 under WinXP, 4G RAM.

I've set my brush cursors to show full size. The cursor displays correctly for brush sizes up to about 150 px. Beyond 150 px, the circle representing the brush size gets truncated: at 170 px, it's down to a half-circle, at 200 px it's down to one-third of a circle, and at 300 px all that remains is a small curved line segment.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 224 Replies 224
Oct 28, 2008 Oct 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

if the laptop manufacturer provides the (supposedly custom) driver, that's probably where he'll have to go for a fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not a matter of believing Chris in saying nVidia has a bug. I'm not disputing that.

I _AM_ saying that CS3, CS2, CS and all other versions of Photoshop have used a DIFFERENT METHOD OF DISPLAYING THE CURSOR which functioned without exhibiting this bug.

THAT METHOD could be "turned back on" as an option in the same way that enabling (or not) acceleration is provided as an option.

(I didn't think what I was saying was that hard to understand, but I'm hoping the caps will provide sufficient emphasis without making it sound like I'm screaming)

And to reiterate ... this bug was apparent on my laptop (using CS4) BEFORE downloading the third party driver. It continues to manifest itself even after an Augst 31st 2008 release of the nVidia driver. The one and only reason I installed this third party driver was an attempt to solve the CS4 cursor problem.

Again, from my perspective: It is a CS4 cursor problem (no other application on my laptop is exhibiting this behavior and CS3 continues to function without a problem, but I paid good money for CS4 and would like to use it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, CS4 uses a different bit of code for displaying the cursor. Normally that code is more stable, faster, has less lag, etc. than the old code. But it does expose bugs in some video card drivers. No, the old code cannot be "turned back on", it's far from that simple.

This is just a video card driver bug exposed by us using different APIs. Adobe cannot fix that, only the video card maker can fix that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's unfortunate... it sounds like I'm stuck with CS3.

Any chance for a refund? (I could maybe apply it towards the purchase of a new laptop)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe has a 30 day return policy.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 29, 2008 Oct 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a 512MB ATI Radeon 1950XT graphics card and I get that strange cursor thing with larger cursor sizes. I haven't updated my driver since receiving my new PC 18 months ago. I don't know if it's got Open GL compatibility or not, never mind how to switch it on!

Laptop has an nVidia graphics chip, but I haven't tried that with a large cursor yet.

Joanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Oct 29, 2008 Oct 29, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On my XP Pro SP3/ NVidia 8800GTX system with the latest 178.24 driver, the brush cursor is limited to 2500px maximum.

On the primary monitor the full circumference is displayed OK, but on the secondary the brush cursor reduces to the upper left quadrant above 300px and shrinks as the cursor size increases until it is gone above 2000px.

Luckily I never need such a big cursor nor work on the secondary, but the bug is definitely there.

In case it is relevant, I am running 2x1280x1024x32bit with the primary on the right and secondary on the left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 30, 2008 Oct 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...I'm using a 512MB ATI Radeon 1950XT graphics card and I get that strange cursor thing with larger cursor sizes. I haven't updated my driver since receiving my new PC 18 months ago. I don't know if it's got Open GL compatibility or not, never mind how to switch it on!

Joanne:

I'm using the same graphics card without any problems. However, I went to the ATI site and downloaded/installed the latest driver (dated 11th October 2008) which I would strongly recommend as something you should do...

Anthony.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cheers Anthony. Is my graphics card compatible with that Open GL thing? I haven't updated a graphics driver for ages, correct me if I'm wrong:

Download the new driver. Uninstall the old one via add/remove programs. Restart the computer. Install the new driver.

I do have the problem that my PC doesn't display the start-up screens when connected via DVI. I have never managed to find out how to sort it, just that's it is caused by a vBios issue.

If I don't fully understand what I'm doing, I tend to leave well alone and avoid digging a bigger hole for myself.

Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I definitely need to update my display driver. With the GPU thing enabled, doing certain things causes the display to go black and the computer spontaneously reboots itself.

I've disabled the GPU acceleration until I get the new driver installed. It's downloaded, just need to confirm the sequence for uninstalling the ATI software components and reinstalling the new version.

Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joanne:

I just run the installation and the old drivers get overwritten; and that works for me.

If someone knows differently, please speak up.

Anthony.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Joanne - ouch. That could be a driver, or a card problem. I hope the updated driver solves it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cursor issue on the second monitor is solved at my side by reducing display driver hardware acceleration.

Geforce 8800GT (512 Mb) on board. WinXP SP3. 2Gb RAM.
P.S. I use PS CS4 on the 2nd (hardware calibrated) monitor

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have found that to be true as well (that the cursor no longer disappears if you reduce the hardware acceleration).

Sadly, doing this also means that the cursor from time to time leaves "droppings" on the screen as I move the cursor around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2008 Nov 01, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I updated my graphics driver for my ATI Radeon 1950XT and now, the PC freezes up but doesn't restart spontaneously. I think it's time to find a new graphics card.

Which one do you folks works best on XP SP3? Who has the least problems?

Jo

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Kinda sad that you have to upgrade your video card just to use a photo editor, huh?

If it were a gaming machine, it would be a whole different story. But a photo editor... sad.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't display VGA screens while connected via DVI either. I have submitted a ticket to ATI, but I'm not holding my breath. Until now, apart from no start-up screens, I was okay.

Joanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 04, 2008 Nov 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

UPDATE!

Adobe has a registry setting that will enable Old GPUs that, when applied, solves the cursor problem completely.

I'm very happy about this. Thanks! :)

(now I just wish I hadn't updated my video driver because it's not working as well as it used to)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David - no, the registry setting does not solve the cursor problem. It is a temporary patch for some people with some drivers - and it is risky because it tells Photoshop to use features even if your video card says it does not support all the necessary features. That means that the driver may crash or show other artifacts when using that registry key.

The video card driver still needs to fix the bug causing the cursor problems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uh... okay.

Well, CS4 was a total pain in the butt until yesteday. With the registry settings in place I'm now able to use CS4.

Still no word on when (if ever) a new update for my video card might be available. Laptop video apparently is a bastard child.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 05, 2008 Nov 05, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same trouble.. Running on an NVIDIA Quadro NVS 290. Seems like the problem is only on NVIDIA cards. Has anyone had any luck getting this problem fixed? I hope it gets fixed ASAP, because right now my CS4 is basically unusable... a brush tool without a cursor is worthless.

I tried changing the hardware acceleration options in the Advanced display options dialog, and it only makes the brush even more unusable; although it does fix the cursor, it ends up leaving a white box around the cursor that stays white even when I let go of the cursor.

Seems like a problem as big as this would have come up in beta testing..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The most often heard reply in this forum is to update your video driver.

If you have as much trouble as I did (seems my laptop's video is not supported - even by nVidia!), then email me and I'll put you in touch with the person that gave me the registry setting that fixed the cursor for me. (I don't want to post it publicly because they probably want more control over the issue, but I can at least put you in touch with him)

My email: david @ dterryphotography.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The cursor bug is in the video card driver - updating it usually works, if not you need to contact NVida so they can update the driver for your model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2008 Nov 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have updated my video drivers to version 178.24 and am running on the NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS, still having the brush cursor problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 06, 2008 Nov 06, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

update.. i installed not the performance drivers, but the standard video card drivers for the Quadro NVS 290 (178.26_quadro_winxp2k_english_whql.exe) and it works fine now!

Edit: I was premature in posting.. the cursor is there, but now i have an error that my video drivers are not up to date, and the GPU enhancements have been turned off. When i use the brush tool, it moves at about .5 frame a second! Help Please?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines