• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 trial issues with ram and content aware issues.

New Here ,
Apr 30, 2010 Apr 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I run a vista 32 machine with 4 gigs.  I have tried just about everything including running the machine in minmum and loading only windows and adobe CS5.  I still get the error of "Could not fill because there is not enough memory (RAM)".  I have tried playing with the performce settings and GL settings to give adobe as much memory as it needed but it is still not working.

I am working with a file that is 6.49mb which is the average of what my raw file convert to when I download them from my camera.  Now the only way I can get it to work is seriously downgrade the file in size and then the content aware fill works great or decrease the area that is going to be filled.

So am I missing something or do I have to convert everything over to 64 bit and throw 8 gigs in this machine to get this to work with those tyoe of file sizes?

Thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 116 Replies 116
Participant ,
May 01, 2010 May 01, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep. I'm having the same problem too.

FYI I have a AMD Phenom II x4 940 quad-core processor, 4gb RAM, and a 90gb scratch disk.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem with AMD quadcore 945 CPU, 4GB RAM, Windows 7 32 bit, and 500GB scratch discs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Might be Nvidia GPUs as content aware usage does not generate any RAM errors. I have CS5 installed on my laptop for now. i720QM, ATI 5870 with 10.4 driver set. 8 gigs of RAM. Everything GPU acceleration turned on advanced

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeh I have a friend with a laptop that has an ATI chipset for the GPU and its working fine for him advanced also.

So far still no problems with my system with the OpenGl turned off and I have brought over some large RAW images and have been working with those pictures doing a variety of tasks and so far no errors at all.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Least it is working for you until something is figured out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 04, 2010 May 04, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I had the OpenGL turned off and things were running smoothly till yesterday when I was working on 5 pictures in a row and they were about 4 to 8 mbs in size.  So I get to the last photos that was 8 mb and I used the content aware and the message popped up not enough ram.  I tried it a few more times and the same message appeared.  So I exited photoshop and restarted it then tried it again with that one picture and it worked fine.

So I am not sure what the issue is at the moment except photoshop must have had some resident memory being held even though it was the only pciture being loaded.  The previous pictures were all closed after I was done working with them.  Hopefully this problem will be solved soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem on a brand-spank'n new 17'' Macbook pro with a 2.66 ghz core i7 processor, 4 gigabytes of ram and a 500 gb hard drive. Disappointing to say the least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
May 06, 2010 May 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to throw my hat into this ring as well. When it does, I exit Photoshop, check to see that scratch has emptied, then go back and try again. Has always worked.

Note I see this on both XP and Win7 64, where I have twice the RAM available. Maybe not enough. I also checked the scratch to see if it was filled up before exiting and it showed less than 20% filled.

I am running AMD Athlon II 630 running at 3G.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 07, 2010 May 07, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just like to add my woes having the same problem.

I have tried the 32 bit trial version on two different computers, an Intel Core2 quad core desktop, with 4Gigs of RAM, and a similarly equiped Intel Core2 quadcore laptop with 4Gigs RAM.

I have tried all the sugggestions made so far, but to no avail.

To me, that is one of the main must have features, for upgrading to CS5. I am afraid that until Adobe fixes it, I will not be buying.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just downloaded the trial and I get the same error with Win XP on a Core 2 Duo (E8500) with 4GB RAM and Nvidia 8800GTS (512MB) graphics card.

I tried using content aware on the merged panorama picture in the samles directory. Changed the picture size down to half of the orgininal size and it worked. Tried it once more to show a friend and PS crashed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I lowered the memory usage from 70% to 65% and turned off the Open GL. Content Aware fill worked once. The second time I tried fill the content aware label was greyed out. I closed PSCS5 and now it's still greyed out.  Something is not happy. Closed and opened photoshop a few times...

Adobe Photoshop Version: 12.0 (12.0x20100407 [20100407.r.1103 2010/04/07:14:00:00 cutoff; r branch]) x32
Operating System: Windows XP 32-bit
Version: 5.1 Service Pack 3
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:7, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1
Physical processor count: 4
Processor speed: 2504 MHz
Built-in memory: 3327 MB
Free memory: 2175 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 1675 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 60 %
Image cache levels: 4

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The processor is fairly old, as Intel hasn't used the Family/Stepping nomenclature for some time now. Maybe Chris Cox or nother person with greater familiarity may have something to say.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that there is a bug in the programme and Adobe should get it fixed quick smart!!!

I lowered the memory usage from 70% to 65% and turned off the Open GL. Content Aware fill worked once. The second time I tried fill the content aware label was greyed out. I closed PSCS5 and now it's still greyed out.  Something is not happy. Closed and opened photoshop a few times...

Adobe Photoshop Version: 12.0 (12.0x20100407 20100407.r.1103 2010/04/07:14:00:00 cutoff; r branch) x32

Operating System: Windows XP 32-bit

Version: 5.1 Service Pack 3

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:7, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3, SSE4.1

Processor speed: 2504 MHz

Built-in memory: 3327 MB

Free memory: 2175 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 1675 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 60 %

Image cache levels: 4

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem. Photoshop Extended doesn't work at all!  Wondering if I should upgrade to 64 bit and more RAM.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 12.0 (12.0x20100407 [20100407.r.1103 2010/04/07:14:00:00 cutoff; r branch]) x32
Operating System: Windows Vista 32-bit
Version: 6.0 Service Pack 2
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:15, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3
Processor speed: 2400 MHz
Built-in memory: 3070 MB
Free memory: 1250 MB
Memory available to Photoshop: 1632 MB
Memory used by Photoshop: 76 %

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600

HP pavilion m8120n

3 GB RAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Brent,

I wouldn't go to 64 bit just for that. It should work!!! I think that there is a bug with the software that needs to be corrected.

CS5 is supplied with both versions so it should work with 32 bit. I also considered going 64 bit but then, there is the cost of a new Windows, then none of my other 200 programmes would work with it, so the cost of new 64 bit versions(if available) and installation etc. It may be feasible if a stand alone computer was used for only CS5.

I believe that Adobe needs to fix this quick smart.

Regards,

Chris

Same problem. Photoshop Extended doesn't work at all!  Wondering if I should upgrade to 64 bit and more RAM.

Adobe Photoshop Version: 12.0 (12.0x20100407 20100407.r.1103 2010/04/07:14:00:00 cutoff; r branch) x32

Operating System: Windows Vista 32-bit

Version: 6.0 Service Pack 2

System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:15, Stepping:7 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2, SSE3

Processor speed: 2400 MHz

Built-in memory: 3070 MB

Free memory: 1250 MB

Memory available to Photoshop: 1632 MB

Memory used by Photoshop: 76 %

Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q6600

HP pavilion m8120n

3 GB RAM

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Obviously if Adobe makes a 32 bit program it should work on a 32 bit system. Adobe will fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 08, 2010 May 08, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi again everyone. I tried the original solution of turning off OpenGl support in preferances and that worked for me. Granted there are still some problems.

To recap:

I have an Intel Core i7 processor with 4GB RAM and Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit (didn't want to go down the 64bit route for compatability issues with other programs). Because Adobe do not support the Canon EOS 5D Mk II in CS3's camera RAW I upgraded to CS4 (that's were things began to become unstable). CS4 was flakey at best. Nice new feel (when it worked). Now I am no dummy when it comes to computers (I run my own IT company as well as photographic business - they kinda compliment each other). After loading CS5 (mainly for content aware feature and hoping it was a bit better than CS4 turned out to be - like most of you on this forum) the neat feature that Adobe had been raving about didn't work as advertised.

Back to where I am up to now. I will not turn this into a Mac vs PC debate since we have aldready had earlier, someone with a "brand new MacBook Pro" complaining of the same issue. I can state that, of all the systems I work on with Windows 7 (which is alot), the only one I am having major issues with is my own. And the only piece of software giving me grief (if you saw my two screens you would have trouble counting the apps on my system), is Photoshop CS5! After turning off OpenGL I can now stitch 12 or more RAW 5D MarkII photos with no problem, generating a file 938MB in size. The first time I did this I still had to original files open and it would not let me do any content aware modifications. Fair enough. I closed all the source files, flattened the layers to produce a single flat layer to work with and then tried content aware. "Not enough memory". I had to bring the file down in size to under 50MB to get it to work on any decent sized area. Now I don't want to have to go out and buy "Blow up" to renlarge my photos because Adobe can not get their memory management working! Lets be clear about this. This is not a Windows problem. Photoshop assigns its own memory, its own scratch disk and interfaces with the Graphics card. So if I assign 1.5GB of memory to Photoshop, 400GB as a scatch disk and have 1GB of video memory why does it still have issues with a 50MB file!!!! Piss poor programming!

Here are my issues. I was sold on CS5 due to a brilliant (if not misleading video) that showed "content aware" at work on Adobe's web site. There was no mention that I would need a super computer or 64bit operating system to work its magic. On purchasing the product as so many of you have discovered it does not work as promissed. In two days of posting to this site I have not seen one representative of Adobe making any comment as to even if they are working on this issue.

Please ADOBE, you big multinational software company, PLEASE make us feel better for having purchased CS5 and not let it be the big white lemon it seems to be.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately, it did not work for me.

Date: Sat, 8 May 2010 01:15:47 -0600

To: imschris@hotmail.com

Subject: CS5 trial issues with ram and content aware issues.

Hi again everyone. I tried the original solution of turning off OpenGl support in preferances and that worked for me. Granted there are still some problems.

To recap:

I have an Intel Core i7 processor with 4GB RAM and Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit (didn't want to go down the 64bit route for compatability issues with other programs). Because Adobe do not support the Canon EOS 5D Mk II in CS3's camera RAW I upgraded to CS4 (that's were things began to become unstable). CS4 was flakey at best. Nice new feel (when it worked). Now I am no dummy when it comes to computers (I run my own IT company as well as photographic business - they kinda compliment each other). After loading CS5 (mainly for content aware feature and hoping it was a bit better than CS4 turned out to be - like most of you on this forum) the neat feature that Adobe had been raving about didn't work as advertised.

Back to where I am up to now. I will not turn this into a Mac vs PC debate since we have aldready had earlier, someone with a "brand new MacBook Pro" complaining of the same issue. I can state that, of all the systems I work on with Windows 7 (which is alot), the only one I am having major issues with is my own. And the only piece of software giving me grief (if you saw my two screens you would have trouble counting the apps on my system), is Photoshop CS5! After turning off OpenGL I can now stitch 12 or more RAW 5D MarkII photos with no problem, generating a file 938MB in size. The first time I did this I still had to original files open and it would not let me do any content aware modifications. Fair enough. I closed all the source files, flattened the layers to produce a single flat layer to work with and then tried content aware. "Not enough memory". I had to bring the file down in size to under 50MB to get it to work on any decent sized area. Now I don't want to have to go out and buy "Blow up" to renlarge my photos because Adobe can not get their memory management working! Lets be clear about this. This is not a Windows problem. Photoshop assigns its own memory, its own scratch disk and interfaces with the Graphics card. So if I assign 1.5GB of memory to Photoshop, 400GB as a scatch disk and have 1GB of video memory why does it still have issues with a 50MB file!!!! Piss poor programming!

Here are my issues. I was sold on CS5 due to a brilliant (if not misleading video) that showed "content aware" at work on Adobe's web site. There was no mention that I would need a super computer or 64bit operating system to work its magic. On purchasing the product as so many of you have discovered it does not work as promissed. In two days of posting to this site I have not seen one representative of Adobe making any comment as to even if they are working on this issue.

Please ADOBE, you big multinational software company, PLEASE make us feel better for having purchased CS5 and not let it be the big white lemon it seems to be.

>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That video reminds me of a carnival pitchman selling a vegetable juicer when I was growing up in Chicago in the '40's. He had a fake juice glass that appeared to have been filled with juice from grating one carrot in his magic grater. We bought one, took it home and... instant insanity!

I never forgot that lesson.

When I have that problem (content aware, no program can fix the juicer!), I save the file, exit PS, reopen PS and run it. The worst example was trying to fill around a stitched panorama, as was done in that video. The file size was 250M and the app went nuts! Locked up the system so bad that I could not invoke Task Manager to get out of it! But what's even more curious is that, after getting out, opening PS and trying a more modest use, it ran fine (except what it actually did to the image, which was hilarious!) and returning to the stitch, that ran fine also (with caveats as to what it did to fill in the blanks.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is so well said... Thank you!

<link removed>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Not a trial, I've paid my GB£192.23  ($294.00)  for the upgrade from CS4.

Windows XP SP3 1GB Ram  Intel Pent 4, 82845G on-board Graphics chip.

I can open and edit 60Mb 30 layered graphics files, no problem!

Not enough RAM for 1.9Mb JPEGS.  Can't see why the smaller files are a problem.

Looks like back to CS4 again.

Regards

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the "out of RAM" issues are misleading errors from a bug in the content aware fill code.

The CAF engineers are working on it now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good on you Chris. I'm totally happy with how it works in 64-bit Windows, and for my money this feature alone would be worth the price of the suite upgrade. That makes me feel all the more for those who find it doesn't work on their systems.

But it is such a powerful feature, that I think we should not be too surprised or worried (or cross) if it takes an early update to make it properly reliable.

Totally worth it. If you weren't here being open about the issue on behalf of Adobe, and communicating in both directions, things would look different. But happily you are.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your input.

I'll leave the problem in your very capable hands.

Regards

John

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Chris. For the record I do love Photoshop or I would not have bought the product. We just needed

to hear from Adobe that this issue is bieng fixed. Look forward to the patch soon. Greater testing on all platforms should be done before releaseing products. Microsoft learnt that lesson with VISTA.

Thanks for your input.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines