• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

CS5 Very small toolbar- Tried Preferences, Interface, Large and it doesn't work.

Community Beginner ,
May 23, 2010 May 23, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Win 7 and just got the CS5 Premium installed.  Everything is fine in the other programs but Photoshop's toolbar and swatch pallette are so small that it is very hard to work with.  The menu bar(file, edit, etc) all across the top look like they are are a 2 pt. font. They are also very hard to read.  I tried setting it to large in the preferences but it didn'tchange anything.  Any other suggestions?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , May 23, 2010 May 23, 2010

Your system's DPI setting in the display settings.

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
replies 148 Replies 148
Community Beginner ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm reading this thread with much interest since I couldn't read this tiny tiny menus.

Here you'll find a screenshot: https://goo.gl/0Zp1sk

Hoping someone will find a solution!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This thread relates to Photoshop. You are using Flash, which has its' own forum. So definitely start a new post there detailing your problem.

Flash Professional

Older Adobe products were created before HiDpi screens and as Adobe comes out with newer versions, they do not retrofit the older ones.

The best advice is the CC line of products.

If you are using Windows, there is a registry hack in Photoshop CS6, you can look at, but there are no guarantees.

App scaling on HiDpi screens

http://www.danantonielli.com/adobe-app-scaling-on-high-dpi-displays-fix/

Gene

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 28, 2010 Jun 28, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

photoshop screen.JPG

This is as large as I can get my text. windows7 ultimate 64 bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

«....there is no fix for PC users if you have a half decent resolution on your screen. This is unacceptable...»!!!

«...I had CS4 and it did the same thing. »!!!

I'm from Portugal and very sad about the related problem. I'm running windows10, DELL 24" 4K (P2415Q)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Jun 30, 2010 Jun 30, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If failing to meet accessibility standards is not illegal, it should be.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2014 May 21, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Failing accessibility standards may be illegal per the ADA.  I also find the new CS CC program ridiculous to use as I can't see the toolbar.  The only thing Adobe will understand is mass cancellations due to this and then they will fix it.  Since this is useless to me I am cancelling my monthly payments. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 12, 2010 Jul 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this same problem. I am using Windows 7 on a Dell Laptop... brand new equipment.

Everyplace else I go the fonts are size, I go into Photoshop CS5 and menu names, dialog boxes, palettes

, etc... the fonts are so tiny. Adobe knows about this problem and you can get something from them for this problem. I had CS4 and it did the same thing. They told me they never heard about this and I told them to check online to see how many people have this problem. That stopped them dead in their tracks and they sent me CS5 hoping the problem was fixed and to keep me satisfied as a customer. I had CS3 and I loved it. CS5 was no better. They need to fix this font problem. I can't find the number that I had called before but I will call the sales number at Adobe and will not get off the phone with them until they can give me a fix for this problem (which I don't think they have) or return my money to me. And if they don't I WILL be going to my local papers and to my local news channels to tell them about the problems that Adobe has with their software and that they are not giving their customers their money back. And to the idiot who thinks it's peoples eyes... all I can say is that you shouldn't even bother replying to posts if you only have something idiotic to say. We get on these posts to help us solve problems with our software not to hear stupid insults from people like you. Everyone with this problem should start dialing Adobe. Don't let large corporations take our money and give us merchandise that is defective. They will be hearing me loud and clear in just one moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2010 Jul 12, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Name-calling violates the adobe.com Terms of Use as well as the Adobe Community Guidelines. Please stop it or you'll have your posts edited or deleted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 13, 2010 Jul 13, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I spent over an hour on the phone with different departments within Adobe. I started off with Tech Support 1-800-642-3623, then to Customer Service 1-800-833-6687, then back to Tech Support for Photoshop and then finally back to Customer Service. To answer this problem....there is no fix for PC users if you have a half decent resolution on your screen. This is unacceptable. I am waiting to hear about getting a full refund. My request has gone to a higher power within and should hear today. All employees that I spoke with admitted knowing about this and saying there is no good fix to it. If you can not use your software because of this I would suggest calling them and complaining at least. If you can not use it like I can't since I am not going to lower my resolution on my screen for their fix. I bought a good monitor with high resolution and then paid big money for what I considered one of the best softwares a photographer can use and now it's not usable. Do not wait and do not take no for an answer if you want a refund for this software. If you are like me we need a software that can be used in a reasonable manner. One that we can atleast see on our screens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But, your using a laptop. What size is your laptop screen? Turn on Clear Type on Windows 7 and go through the calibration process that will sharpen and clear up words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Laptop, desktop... a monitor is a monitor. Trust me... ADOBE went through all of the things already. Photographers (good ones) only use high res screens. NO FIX. Tried it all UI, resolution, Clear Type blah blah blah There is NO FIX to this problem unless you decide to lower your resolution. This laptop I have ... no way am I stepping back down to a lower res. This problem has nothing to do with clarity but Adobe's software not being in sync with Windows PC systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All monitors are different. The UI looks a whole lot bigger on my 25 inch computer monitor then it does on my 17.1 inch laptop monitor. Computer monitor is 1920 x 1200 and the laptop is 1920 x 1080. The 17.1 laptop monitor is more compact to squeeze in the 1920 x 1080 thus making everything smaller.

Now, don't get me wrong, I do understand what you are writing about and your concern about scaling. However, if you want a high resolution screen like my laptop screen it is common sense that things will be smaller unless the resolution is adjusted down. For me, PS on the laptop, is not a problem as I know pretty much where everything is at and what it reads.

Yes the UI is smaller but that is expected and just the way it is until Adobe can work in a UI adjustment for laptops.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a 17" monitor at 1920 x 1200 resolution. Yes, we agree that it's something that Adobe has to fix. I can see the menues, etc., but only when my face is inches from my laptop. It's like working blind. Horrible. My neck has been sore since I got CS4 when I first noticed the problem. My old laptop had low resolution so I used CS3 fine, but as a photographer I had to upgrade to a better resolution screen. UI is at large, but doesn't matter. As a photographer I can't set my resolution lower than 1920 x 1200. If you have any suggestions please let me know. I hate to give up Photoshop but at this point I feel like I have no choice. Thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will play around with the laptop and maybe I can come up with something. I also tried the UI set a Large but it did not make a difference. There is a setting in windows where the display can be changed from the default 100 percent to 125 percent. However, making it 125 percent also introduces the 3 headed mouse problem in Photoshop so that won't help matters.

There is also a custom DPI setting in Windows 7 that can adjust UI pixels per inch. Not sure if that will work with the Adobe PS UI. I need to get on my laptop and check it out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I played with that adjustment. Turns out the option is the same thing as changing the DPI just a different name. So nothing has changed and had zero effect on the Adobe PS UI.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 06, 2010 Sep 06, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just changed from a 24" 1920x1200 to a dell 30" 2560x1600 - same issue here.

Menu fonts and buttons are tiny.  Razor sharp, but tiny.  Tried the UI settings, tried windows ppi adjustments (worked everywhere, but PS btw).

IF I set my 30" monitor to 1920x1200 they are readable, but hey, why am I wasting the screen real estate.

Come on Adobe - fix this!

Windows 7 64 bit, Photoshop cs5 (64 bit) Dell 30" running @ 2560x1600

Rob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, this is scaled slightly due to the 450 px width limit, but you can clearly see the menubar fonts are very tiny.  The drop down menus do respond to the UI preferences (set to large here).  Notice how tiny the buttons are?  Sorry I didn't hover over one so you could see how tiny the "hint text" is

cs5 tiny UI fontsJPG.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I had CS4 and had this same problem. I fought and fought and fought with Adobe about this exact same thing. I told them I wanted my money back. So they gave me CS5 for free and told me that it was 'probably fixed'. Same problem in CS5. Again I spoke to another person who said I have to turn my resolution on my screen down. I told them what was the point in me getting a monitor with a resolution of 1920 x 1200 if I couldn't use it. Of course none of the people I spoke with could answer that. They know about this problem and have not fixed it. I finally gave up...they wouldn't give me my money back. I will when I get a minute go to my local news channel and complain to see if they can put it on their show. The usually get things fixed once it's been aired on the news. I'm wondering if this is a PC thing or is it happening to Macs too. I'm having a feeling this is not happening to the macs which have the 1920x1200 resolution. I hope everyone complains, complains, complains about this problem so that they do something about it and we can use the software. I hate it.

Again, the only way to resolve this problem is to turn your monitor way down in the resolution.

Cathy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 29, 2010 Sep 29, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also have the same "too small toolbar and interface on Adobe Photoshop Elements 7 and 9."   Tried all suggestions above.  None worked.  Support was no help.  It is very frustrating.  I can hardly stand to use the program. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 21, 2015 Dec 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s how to make the text larger as a work around for the menu for Adobe Photoshop CS5 Extended in Windows:  Go to display settings, Move the setting bar, “change the size of text, apps, and other items,” to around 200%.  Sign out next to this bar. Then restart the computer, go back to settings, and then extend the bar to 350%.  Then the menu will be enlarged on Photoshop.  But every time you close your computer, you’ll have to readjust the settings again. This is only a work-around, but it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps this is yet another reason to stay with CS3? I use a 21 / 26"  duel monitor @work and a dual 21" setup @home and the UI is great. So  what this post is all about is the Adobe UI genui behind CS4/5 either  were working @800x600 or are all 20/20 eagle eyes? Kinda sad to have all  that VISUAL power in front of you and be hampered because you CAN'T SEE  the interface. How ironic...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 08, 2011 Sep 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Add me to the ever-growing list of users who find this UNACCEPTABLE. Whoever reported this probalem as "possibly solved" isn't dealing with the problem. Attached is a screenshot of the menu size, compared to 12-point text shown at 100%. See menu font size at very top of image, and welcome screen text at lower right. Adjusting the Windows text display settings does NOTHING to CS5 menus. Changing the screen resolution is NOT a fix. Adobe is ignoring this issue!

fontsize.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Out of curiosity, what's the PPI on your monitor?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolution is 1680 x 1050, and that's a step down from the recommended

native res of 1920x1200.

Sandy Jo Becker Hyman

[signature deleted by host]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That didn't answer my question, as you have not said what your monitor size is, physically.

But it did highlight one possible issue:  You're using a desktop setting other than the native size of your LCD display...  Do you realize that will cause resampling in the monitor and make everything look quite a bit fuzzier?  It may actually be that the sharper display at the smaller size will be more contrasty and end up easier for you to see...

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines