Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Custom crop guide

Community Beginner ,
Oct 18, 2022 Oct 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

I've seen this asked in 2018 and I'm hoping it is now is PS somewhere...
How can I edit the crop grid in the crop tool?

I need to crop product images that the product is a certain size within the frame. If I wanted my product to fill 1/3 of the frame I would simply use the Rule-of-thirds option, but I need it different.

Is there a way to edit the GRID option in the crop tool? There must be something defining the spacing in this grid as it appears to be pixel based. If it were % based and I could edit the % between grid lines that would probably work.

If this isn't available it would be incredibly useful to any product photographer.

Thanks,

Toby

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure if you can do it directly with the Crop tool, but what you could do is use Guides.  That is to say place a New Guide layout and make a selection which snaps to the guides, and then use Image > Crop which will crop to the Selection.  If you have a number of these, create and Save the relevant Guide layouts and trigger them with an action.  It would be super fast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've tried the New Guide Layout which looks super cool and I'm sure I'll use for something in future, but the guides stay fixed to the existing canvas.

I want guides that stay fixed to the crop, like the rule of thirds does.

So my client wants all necklace images to share the same invisible horizon when they appear on a category page of the website. So my crop needs to sit the same distence from the bottom of the necklace each time, but also I need the crop to make best use of the available screen space while also representing it reasonably accuratley in relation to other items. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know no option to do this. 

What is the grid you do need? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guide layout is potentially a neat tool, thank you, but it doesn't work for my application.

What I need is for the guide layout to stay the same relative to the crop, so as I resize and reposition the crop I want the guides to stay the same within the overall crop – like they do when I use the RULE OF THIRDS etc.
So if I could position a guide that always stays 20% from the bottom edge of the crop, and another two vertical guides that always stay at say 30% position and 70% poistion horizontally, I could then crop each image so that the product occupies 40% of the crop width while keeping the bottom edge of the product 20% up from the bottom of the crop.

If the GRID option in the crop tool maintained itself at percentage positions I could use it, but it doesn't and the number of squares decrease as the crop is reduced – until it shows only 2x2 when it then stays at 2x2 with the grid size reducing.
The only way I can currently do this is to import a layer with a template but I then have to scale the layer to match the new image size before I can use the canvas size of the template to crop the new image to.

This seems like it would be such a common requirement that I'm hoping I being really daft and missing something obvious.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post an image to clarify.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So here, by using the RULE OF THIRD crop option I can easily crop all images so the product fills 1/3 of the finished canvas size AND the bottom of the image will be at the same height so all necklaces on a category grid will look like they are all at the same position.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But this is a where I want to crop and I have no guide that fix to represent the bottom of the pendant within the crop tool.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And I need various templates to represent what would be a "large" item, and a "medium" item etc. But always the invisible horizon (the base of the pendant) stays at the same % from the bottom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you know what controls the grid dimensions in the GRID option of the CROP TOOL?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Oct 19, 2022 Oct 19, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I can't really make sense of the screenshots or the description, I could only guess what you want.

Maybe it helps...

CropIt 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The only way I can currently do this is to import a layer with a template but I then have to scale the layer to match the new image size before I can use the canvas size of the template to crop the new image to.

I suspect this could fairly easily be automated with a custom shape and an Action. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I think I had, some time ago, placed a Feature Request for a US passport Overlay in the Crop tool...

Do you want to change this thread to a Feature Request?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure. Do you understand New Guide Layouts? It has an option called TARGET which says "Canvas" in my PS but it is greyed out, however the suggestion is that there is another option to choose and if one option is CANVAS then maybe the other is CROP which might do exactly what I want.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

As others have mentioned, there isn't anyway of doing this, currently. I did write a script to be able to crop head sizes, as Pierre mentioned. However, it's not as easy to use as a crop guide would be, and it would have to be adapted to your requirements.  The thread where I posted my script is here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/portraits-cropping-automation/m-p/124...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines