• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Customize the color and appearance of the Ruler in Photoshop (macOS)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 15, 2022 Jun 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to scale a drawing and use the ruler to get dimensions correct. The ruler numbers are small and my eyes aren't all that great. The font used is a light gray on a dark gray background. I just can't read it.

How do I change the ruler font to something with more contrast. White on black. Larger would also help.

Looked in preferences but couldn't find anything that looked appropriate. 

Using MacBook M1.

{Title edited by Moderator}

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know changing the color theme (via Preferences > Interface) will also change the ruler appearance. It's not much, though.

Usually, if I need exact settings, I'll just drag a guide line out (or create a new guide layout via View > New Guide Layout).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We're here to help.

Which version of Photoshop are you using? Do you want just the ruler to be displayed large or the entire UI?

Please check this article; you will find the steps to customize grids and guides in this section, " Set guide and grid preferences": https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/grid-guides.html.

Let us know if that helps.

Thanks,

Ranjisha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For drawings, I would highly recommend you use Illustrator; not Photoshop.  

https://illustratorhow.com/how-to-add-guides/

Illustrator is a vector graphics apps well suited to working with line drawings. And you'll get much better quality with vector than you will with raster.

Photoshop is a better tool for working with photographs and bitmaps.

To answer your question, adjust your display's resolution at the OS level to make text more readable.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About the best contrast for the rulers I can get is changing the Interface colour to light grey in Preferences.

image.png

This is not the same as the background colour which we can set by right clicking the canvas background.

image.png

You can temporarily zoom way in to the image to help see where you are at on the rulers.

Another option would be to use View > New Guide Layout

My canvas below is 1000 pixels wide, so by using 10 columns I have a guide at every 100 pixel point.

image.png

If you needed odd positions for the guides, you'd have to make each guide separately 

image.png

I don't know if this helps at all, but I do know how it feels to be getting on in years and finding things harder to see.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Info panel and Properties panel are also there to aid you, as well as the Options panel when Transforming etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to all. I got lots of suggestions. The interface theme worked best for me. I like the dark background but setting the theme to the lightest one gave me enough contrast to be able to read the ruler numbers. This was just a quick and dirty drawing, not worth going to Illustrator for (not something I have anyway). I probably make a drawing like this once every two or three years.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Jun 16, 2022 Jun 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can customize colors of the ruler by modifying UIColors.txt, which is located in the application resources. You can find more information in the topic: Photoshop Purple Skin 

2022-06-16_22-10-32.png

2022-06-16_22-15-28.png

  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 21, 2023 Aug 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Go to Photoshop Preferences. Choose Interface. I choose the lightest color. Ta da. The ruler turned whit, and I see clearly now!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines