• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Delete just one handle from anchor point

Community Beginner ,
Jan 21, 2013 Jan 21, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't seem to find a constant way to delete just one of 2 handles from an anchor point. I can drag the handle into the anchor point, but sometimes it still remains, and can be pulled out. Other times, it seems to disappear, as desired.

I would like to convert to one handle only.

Thanks,

Sonny

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

With my copy of Photoshop I can, using the Convert Point tool, convert the point from a two-handle point to a one-handle point (with Alt key down) or a corner point (with no modifier key).

With the Alt key down I can drag from a corner point to extend a handle in one dimension.

You folks aren't able to reproduce this?  Could this be a difference between PC and Mac platforms?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe try the Convert Point Tool with the Alt key held down?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't achieve anything more using the Covert Tool vs the Convert Tool with the Alt/Opt key pressed.

The Convert Tool does one of two things for me:

It gets rid of BOTH handles if a smooth point, or,

it adds TWO handles if there are no handles.

It's easy to create a point with one handle, but to get there FROM 2 handles, evades me.

A work around is just to drag the handle into the point, accomplishing the same thing. Or, just line it up with the segment. Frustrating, but not really important.

Thanks,

Sonny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Illustrator you can drag one handle back to the anchor point to remove it (and the point icon changes slightly when you're on top of it) but not in Photoshop, it's one of the subtle ways the vector engine differs between the two programs. Interesting enough though, you can copy a vector path from Photoshop, paste it in Illustrator and delete one handle, then copy and paste it back in Photoshop with the handle deleted. Not useful but interesting.

But what is very useful are Smart Objects. You can draw an object in Illustrator then paste it into Photoshop as a Smart Object, afterward if you double click on the layer icon in the layers pallet it will open the shape in Illustrator, you can make changes and save, the results are updated in Photoshop. That way you can take advantage of the more advanced vector tools available in Illustrator, have complicated vector shapes with multiple fill/stroke colors, and maintain a single file work flow in Photoshop. It's all saved as part of a single PSD.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There's currently a discussion on the Illustrator Forum about this: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1138258?tstart=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jan 22, 2013 Jan 22, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With my copy of Photoshop I can, using the Convert Point tool, convert the point from a two-handle point to a one-handle point (with Alt key down) or a corner point (with no modifier key).

With the Alt key down I can drag from a corner point to extend a handle in one dimension.

You folks aren't able to reproduce this?  Could this be a difference between PC and Mac platforms?

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can get it to work sort of, you can drag a handle with the convert corner point tool back to the anchor point, it acts like it's removed it, but it's still there just very very close to the anchor point. (The closer to the anchor point you drop it the better it works, but there is nothing to make it snap to the anchor point.) Afterwards using the direct selection tool you can move the anchor point, most of the time it will move just as if the handle was removed, but every now and then you'll actually drag the handle back out from the point, proving that the handle was not actually removed.

I'm using CS5 on OS X 10.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Noel, that's it. I am on a Mac. With the Convert Point Tool + Opt., clicking on the Anchor Point DOES delete a handle. The LEADING handle. It seems that there is no choice to delete the other handle.

I was confused. Getting to the Convert Tool while using the white arrow (Cmd-Opt) does not delete a single handle: it deletes both. I have to start from the Convert Tool, and then Opt-click the Anchor Point. Would be nice if we could just delete a handle of choice.

I found this very helpful, while drawing using the Pen Tool (not editing): Opt-click the last Anchor Point to delete the leading handle. (PS offers 2 handles, when often only one is needed).

In summary, I think that this is correct:

1) while drawing, Opt-click the Anchor Point to delete the leading handle

2) when editing, first go to the Convert Tool, and then Opt-click the Anchor Point to delete the leading handle.

3) dragging the handle point into the Anchor Point works pretty well, but is a little tedious. Sometimes it really seems to disappear, but I'm not sure.

4) lining up the undesired handle works pretty well.

Thanks for all the help. The Pen Tool, as the experts warn, is great, but does require quite a bit of practice.

Sonny

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to delete the TRAILING handle, you can go to Object>Path>Reverse Path Direction. This will turn all of the leading handles into trailing handles. Then use the Convert Tool to click on the newly minted leading handle (it doesn't require opt/alt in the latest CC version) to delete it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 13, 2021 Oct 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I just tested again, and in the latest version, you just click either handle with the Convert Tool and it gets rid of the handle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 16, 2023 Feb 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not true or accurate. Clicking a handle with the Convert Tool does nothing to the handle (PS CC 2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 11, 2023 Sep 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s what I’ve found for an anchor with 2 handles into one handle consistently. The difference is which handle you want to keep, the LEADING or TRAILING handle. Both use the Convert Point tool. On a Mac here so it’s the Option key.

To delete the LEADING handle, with the Convert Point tool selected, Option (Alt) click the center (anchor point) of a two handled anchor point. You're left with one TRAILING handle. You, unfortunately, can not delete the trailing handle this way. You can however create a LEADING handle from a corner anchor point with the following work around.

To delete the TRAILING handle, staring with a two handled anchor point, with the Convert Point tool selected, click on the center. This will convert the anchor point to a corner point. With the Convert Point tool selected, Option (Alt) click the center (anchor point) and hold. Now drag the away (forward) from the center creating the new LEADING handle. You will now have to recreate the curve but at least it's going the prober direction.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 19, 2015 Sep 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Click on the undesired handle with the "Convert Anchor Point" tool and it should go away.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Feb 19, 2021 Feb 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bingo!
Gawd what a sweet discovery!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 27, 2022 Jan 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's how you do it in Photoshop 2022: https://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/a/155752/359

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 07, 2023 Oct 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Is there no keyboard shortcut for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 12, 2023 Sep 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here’s what I’ve found for converting an anchor point with 2 handles into one handle consistently. The difference is which handle you want to keep, the LEADING or TRAILING handle. Both use the Convert Point tool. On a Mac here so it’s the Option key.

To delete the LEADING handle, with the Convert Point tool selected, Option (Alt) click the center (anchor point) of a two handled anchor point. You're left with one TRAILING handle.

You, unfortunately, can not delete the TRAILING handle this way. You can however create a LEADING handle from a corner anchor point with the following work around.

To delete the TRAILING handle, staring with a two handled anchor point, with the Convert Point tool selected, click on the center. This will convert the anchor point to a Corner point (w/ no handles). With the Convert Point tool selected, Option (Alt) click the center (anchor point) and hold. Now drag away (forward) from the center creating the new LEADING handle. You will now have to recreate the curve but at least it's going the proper direction.

Hope this helps.
Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines