• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Desaturated colors in Photoshop

Community Beginner ,
Dec 31, 2017 Dec 31, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve read dozens of posts on similar topics and I’ve found no solution to my specific problem whatsoever.

The colours in photoshop (and Bridge) are displaying incorrectly. They appear desaturated with a distinctly green colour cast. This is not the case in non colour managed programs such as ‘Photos’ and Camera Raw, in which the photos appear as shot. How have I deduced that the problem is with Photoshop and not in non managed programs such as 'photos' or ACR for example? I've outlined my trouble shooting steps below, but I'd say most definitively I've viewed the Tagged/Embedded: Wacked RGB from the getty images photo disc (www.gballard.net). I've been working with skin tones for years and all four skin tone images are definitely unnatural.

This may seem like a ‘colour settings’ issue, but I’m not sure that it is.

I primarily work in video, and any photos I edit are destined for the web, rather than print.

My workflow is:

Camera shooting sRGB > Camera Raw (photos appear normal) > Photoshop. (Jpegs directly opened in Photoshop display the same problem)

Windows 10 > Radeon RX580 >BenQ SW2700PT, calibrated with an X-Rite i1 Display.

The monitor is a wide Gamut display, which can run in multiple colour spaces including Adobe RGB. I run it in sRGB, and it is calibrated with an SRGB D65  profile because my work is online based.

Problem solving steps

1. Calibration - the monitor has been calibrated multiple times, each with the same result. Calibration reports confirm correct calibration. The monitor displays correct colours in other programs such as Premiere, just not photoshop or bridge.
  2. The x-rite i1 - calibrates colours correctly on other monitors.
  3. Graphics Card - I have disabled the graphics card in Performance > Graphics Processor Settings and rebooted Photoshop, but the problem persists. I have also uninstalled and reinstalled latest drivers.
  4. Photoshop color settings - I've tried them all.
  5. Photoshop preferences - I've reset the preferences but problem persists.

colour cast.PNG

My current Color Settings are in the image below. I have viewed all options in ‘Proof Setup’ - nothing fixes the issue.

I also have a mac, which displays the photos exactly the same in Camera Raw and Photoshop. The images appear similar to my camera LCD.

Another thing I have noticed is that the colours in Firefox, which I understand is colour managed, look as I expect them to look, and they look desaturated on Chrome. I've specifically looked at the Adobe website and their hero shots, which I'm sure are supposed to look as they appear on Firefox, rather than the drab images which appear on chrome.

This is a screen capture in firefox (the image is the hero shot on www.adobe.com/au/) Neither of the below images came through Photoshop, so I have to deduce that my problem isn't with Photoshop per se, but the way my system is interacting with some programs that use colour management Software.

Capture.JPG

This is a shot from Chrome: (The colours are clearly dull and desaturated)

Capture2.JPG

Thanks, Glen

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Hi Glenn,

Pleasure, I am glad I could help. [if you mean me?]

Thanks for the “helpful”, we volunteers live on points ';~}

The greenish hue may be something you’ll need to think about, does your room have reddish walls? That can cause a greenish appearance because your eyes grey balance to take account of the overall light in view.. If not you may be seeing a limitation of the Xrite software, why not test the basICColor display SW that I recommended.

What you are seeing now is how some programs don’

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Beginner ,
Jan 03, 2018 Jan 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Neil. I'll try the demo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines