• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Deselect part of a selection

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2022 Mar 25, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but this seems such a simple question.

If I have a selection in Photoshop which selects two distinct areas how can I modify the selection to remove the one area I don't want selected? For example, I use Select Subject and it selects a flower and a stray separate leaf. The selection is quite correct, they are both in focus so arguably the subject. I want though to remove the leaf from the selection. How do I do this without deselecting the flower as well?

Sorry if this is such a dumb question.

TIA

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One way is to go to Select and Mask... where you can paint off the unwanted selected area

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Nerdio 

A second way is to hold down the Alt key (Windows) and use any Selection tool to subtract from a selection (Option key for macOS). The Shift key plus any Selection tool will add to a selection.

A third way is to enter Quick Mask "Q" and paint, then exit Quick Mask.

A fourth way is to save the selection and paint in the alpha channel to edit the saved selection.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. That is a great question. Let me see if I can clarify that for you.

There are more than a few ways or approaches you can take to achieve the results you are expecting.

There are a variety of Selection tools in Photoshop, and apart from just using tools like 

• Rectangular Marquee Tool.
  • Elliptical Marquee Tool.
  • Lasso Tool.
  • Polygonal Selection Tool.
  • Magnetic Lasso Tool.
  • Magic Wand Tool.
  • Quick Selection Tool.

And there is a variety of techniques too like using Channels, Paths, the Pen tool & a lot more.

Most selection tools have options in the tools bar menu to add to selection, subtract from selection & intersect with selection.

SameerK_0-1648216571209.png

You are using Select Subject, which evaluates the elements of the image and gives you are a selection. You can use any of the tools mentioned above or just the Lasso tool &  press ALT (Win) or Opt (macOS) to change the mode to subtract from the selection.

Check these series of tutorials to learn and create precise selections: https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/how-to/selection-tools-basics.html

We hope this helps,

Thanks!
Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not 100% sure but when I have unwanted areas selected I can select and mask off the areas I didn't or did want included. There is a quick mask option which is alt q for windows where you can remove unwanted area's to be selected.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines