• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Design size

Community Beginner ,
Mar 02, 2018 Mar 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a client wants an A3 size poster do I have to design it in A3 size or can I design it in a smaller size (A5)?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why wouldn't you design it at the required size?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm in the process of changing my old PC, it's very slow if I start to design any bigger than A4, just thought it would be faster if the file wasn't so big.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In Photoshop, everything is measured in pixels. A large file is more pixels, a small file is fewer pixels.

Reproduction size just distributes those pixels on paper. It means nothing for file size. An A4 file may well be the same size as an A3 file - it just carries an instruction to pack the pixels closer together on paper.

This relationship is expressed as pixels per inch. That's the resolution figure, usually shortened to ppi. Read that literally! The ppi figure is self-explaining once you stop and think about it.

For a print to look good, it requires a certain number of pixels per inch. The actual figure depends on viewing distance and reproduction method. For an A3 poster it will normally be somewhere around 200-240. The required number of pixels in  the file is reverse-calculated from that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Depends on the printing process. You could design an A4 Document at 300dpi if your print process was 150 line screen or 150 DPI. Its about understanding how your customer is going to print the document. If its standard 4-colour process at 300dpi then you will have to design at that specification.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to prepare Poster in PS. You have add some additional milimeters (3-5 mm) each side for bleeds So your document should be A4 and 2 x bleeds

Photoshop it's not a good program to prepare Posters or documents for print. Maybe (if you can) try to use InDesign or Illustrator.

In this case prepare A4 document with bleed

pawel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines