• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Design the Photoshop Forums Banner challenge (on-going)

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2016 Jun 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

We’d like to start an on-going challenge to share your creative talent with others.

Purpose: Create a Photoshop Forums Banner for the Photoshop forums overview page.

PSBannerChallenge-wide.jpg

Using the template in this post, submit your Photoshop Forums Banner design by attaching your image in a response to this thread. We’ll then select the best submissions and use them for our Photoshop Forums banner image. A new banner image will be selected by an internal Adobe committee every 3 months and used in the Photoshop forums.

Use the attached banner template design as a starting point for your designs and will help you position your imagery where it won’t be covered:

Here's a link to another template, created by Trevor.Dennis with the PS logo, menu bar and text on a plain background to help with design element placement and help you keep everything within safe bounds.

Image dimensions: 1400px ×150px (72dpi)

File size: 30kb or less

File types: .JPG or .PNG

Please keep all submissions Photoshop-related (Photoshop UI is OK to use), safe for work, and use image content you have the rights to (do not use any copyrighted images).

Post your designs to this thread, and check back every couple of weeks where we’ll feature one of your designs here on the Photoshop Forums which is seen by over 35,000 people each month!

Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with.

Regards

Adobe Social Team

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 153 Replies 153
Community Expert ,
Jun 14, 2016 Jun 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

floramc wrote:

I feel an urge to apologize with Pete, it's a person I like, when I see the enthusiasm around kitties and quackies I feel at least 50% guilty. There was a time this community was all about taking things sharply seriously... I know he summarise the concept of being cool, but I have my wonders if Ps+kitties+quackies is what he would rejoice as a cool banner...

Nevertheless, I'll give this a try, just because it's photoshop but I am in quite a busy time in my private so can't promise anything. If I make it for the show, I'd be happy to create something splashy. Let's the quackies stay for the connoisseurs

Oh no!  The fluffy kittens was taking the rise out of Dag and Pierre, and not a serious entry.  They are not my pictures either, and nore were they stock images.

This idea came while typing out #94 with the splash screens, and is a serious entry.

Pete, are we definitely restricted to having white text on the Jive overlay?  It forces us to compromise in order to have some of the text readable — like the right hand end of the above banner, which I would have loved to make a lot lighter, and several other banners have gone right ahead and used black text anyway.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

Oh no! The fluffy kittens was taking the rise out of Dag and Pierre, and not a serious entry. They are not my pictures either, and nore were they stock images.

There are more than a thousands reasons to love this community. A touch of pride for seeing that fluffy kittens taking a rise might touch my achy quacky heart (don't tell my heart, my achy quacky heart, I just don't think it understand, and if you tell this heart, this achy quacky heart, it might blow up and splash the world) (you are welcome, if you had issues with that song before, I ruined it for the most of you, it's open to sue my achy quacky heart ) - and I am very humbled to hear the quacks and the splashes being called to such high honors.

I still see this wonderful multimillionaire international top of the world company that had the Simpsons to partner with the incredible tools it created, dealing with a 1.63m Italian in Malmö who said quack and splash and few months later professionals call for the quackies on a banner. For Photoshop. The program I married 22 years ago, and surely this won't bring to a divorce with my best half.

It's just a small little woman in an isolated country who made a silly metaphor, I never meant to create such a trend... I feel like the Frodo of the ducks bearing the ring of splashes. I never thought it would go all the way to a banner...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know grunge is out, but...what the heck. I like things that look a little dirty. I even took the liberty to resurrect the old Photoshop eye:

DFbanner_0.png

EDIT: shucks!...it's the dark side of the moon...I swear that wasn't intended, I only see it now...

Oh well. Scrap it. Back to the drawing board. Or at least lose the rainbow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So this is it until I can think of something better....

DFbanner_1c.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really like the blueprint idea Dag, but I am not so sure about the heavy grunge treatment, and I wonder if what looks like part of a picture frame at the top of the banner is contributing?  The 150 pixel height includes the menu bar, which steals some of your banner when put together.

So, for me, your prism banner is a clear winner, even if it is reminiscent of DSOTM — Pink Floyd didn't invent that experiment.  This one has more relevance as well, because the rainbow colours fit nicely with the concept of digital image editing.   I nudged this one up a bit which has hidden the picture frame, and place the split light beam in a nicer place.  Yes, I think this one is really nice.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I 'think' this is where we are up to, but please shout if I have missed you.

The animated banners were never meant to be serious, but I'll include them anyway. Twenty one including the animations.  That's way more than I expected.

Animated-forum-banner.gif

Cog-Head-2.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

One thing is sure is "photoshop" was influenced by filmmaking (moving images) & photography (static images) of the Knoll Brother work's.

They might even have been influenced by the late 60's ( Kubrick, 2001: A Space Odyssey (film)) ??

A little background for younger folks : Dreams from the Digital Darkroom — 25 Years of Photoshop

The Knoll's are younger than me, I wish I had more "cell/pixel" (mind of a scientist) in my brain, but seem my younger brother got most "scientist" cells.

Pierre

Agent Provocateur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trevor.Dennis wrote:

I am not so sure about the heavy grunge treatment, and I wonder if what looks like part of a picture frame at the top of the banner is contributing?

OK, you're right about the frame snip.  What can I say? It seemed like a good idea at the time. I'll also need to tighten up the diagram a little (it was just a hastily modified version of my profile image).

But the menu bar is supposed to be transparent (a la Multiply), no?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

But the menu bar is supposed to be transparent (a la Multiply), no?

Yes, that div is #000 (black) with an opacity: 0.3; (it's a CSS background)

If you reduce it like 0.05, you will see (even more) the Header background under it.

The HTML :

<header class="j-page-header">

<div class="j-placeHdImg">

<div class="j-placeHeaderWrap">

<div class="j-placeNavWrap j-loaded">

</header>

The CSS :

.j-placeNavBg {

background: #000 none repeat scroll 0 0;

bottom: 0;

height: 35px;

left: 0;

opacity: 0.3;

position: absolute;

right: 0;

top: 0;

}

.j-body-place #jive-body .j-page-header {

background-color: transparent;

background-image: url("/resources/statics/1413024/background.png");

background-position: left top;

background-repeat: repeat;

background-size: auto auto;

}

.j-body-place #jive-body .j-page-header {

height: 150px;

margin: 0 0 20px;

padding: 0 0 0 160px;

position: relative;

transition: background-image 0.5s ease-in 0s;

}

So, yes, the menu bar is semi-transparent. But, It's easy to modify the opacity.

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 15, 2016 Jun 15, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I may be wrong, but doesn't the Follow link have a CSS semi-transparent  background, same as menu?

The old JIVE forum had text-shadows around titles which gave it some much needed pop.  Sadly, plain white text is lost on anything but a dark ground.  As such, I may need to modify my 1st submission.

Nancy O.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I may be wrong, but doesn't the Follow link have a CSS semi-transparent  background, same as menu?

Yes, but with a different style : background: rgba(0, 0, 0, .3); with a Hover effect : background: rgba(0, 0, 0, .4);

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nancy O. wrote:

I may need to modify my 1st submission.

Both times after putting up the grouped composites, I keep coming back to that banner Nancy.  It really stands out from the rest.

I am so not into web graphics, so can Nancy or Pierre explain how we can test our designs?  At least two of my offerings are going to fail if the menu bar is semi-transparent, so it would be useful to know beforehand what is going to work.  At the moment, Kat's design makes best use of that transparency, but I have arbitrarily placed a solid grey menu bar over some of the banners in the composite, which apparently might be doing them an injustice.

So what's skinny?  (To you guys who know how it works)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

The menu block is Black with an opacity of 30% (or so). The problem is the "opacity: 0.3;" is a block level effect that also affect the white type too (so the type "menu items" are semi-transparent too.)

Plus, the Menu items have also a ruleset of opacity too (80%) :

.j-placeLinks li > a {

color: white;

display: inline-block;

font-size: 14px;

line-height: 18px;

opacity: 0.8;

overflow: hidden;

padding: 9px 15px;

position: relative;

text-overflow: ellipsis;

white-space: nowrap;

}

So, the Header background will affect the lisibility of the type. You can reproduce this in Photoshop.

I would recommend the JIVE coderzz to modify the Menu block to use as the (Follow link) a : background: rgba(0, 0, 0, .3) and remove the menu items opacity.

Some info : CSS3 opacity property

Another reminder, depending of your OS & browser(s) language, the text (and their container) will expand to fit the text. So, don't design too tight based on the english template (text/look).

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Web banner 4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Web banner 5.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @barzzeb49197134

Is that a representation of a "darkroom" for you ? If so, you are dead wrong.

If it's a "black hole" or the kind, NASA have better imagery.

Pierre

Agent Provocateur

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looks like it's missing your graphics. Your completed banner needs to be submitte, but with no additional text besides your signature...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Benjamin Root wrote:

Looks like it's missing your graphics. Your completed banner needs to be submitted, but with no additional text besides your signature...

There are a few missing elements.  You reminded me that I hadn't added a version without the overlay in post #100, and Dag's submissions have no signatures,  I strongly suspect that the overlaid text can be any colour you like, so long as it is white, which is going to be a problem for Kat's banner.  I think the last composite I uploaded has become downsized, so I'll fix that after uploading this. 

[EDIT]  I tried changing the composite, but the forum downsized it again.  I'll leave it for now, and either split it to multiple posts, or leave the downsized composite and link to the full size one on Drop Box when Pete says we are near to the cut off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Web banner 4.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2016 Jun 16, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forum Banner Template NoText.jpgForum Banner Template (revised).jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

warunicorn-clouds.jpg

warunicorn-gazebo.jpg

warunicorn-woods.jpg

(Decided to go less abstract this time.) 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally set-up an Adobe Portfolio and Behance page.  Still much work to do...  But it's a minimal start anyway. You can see my banner submissions (including 1 new one) at links below.

Behance Photoshop Banners

Portfolio Nancy OShea

I think I'm finally done with this challenge .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

I finally set-up an Adobe Portfolio and Behance page

Nancy, that's very cool. Let's see if Trevor will follow

Pierre

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 17, 2016 Jun 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I applaud Nancy for her 'Where form meets function' tagline on her home page.  It drives me crazy when that balance becomes skewed, and Adobe are as guilty as anyone when it comes placing more value on a pretty front end, than on making their sites actually useful.   Adobe TV was perfectly fine when titles were in a long list with practical sub categories. You could always find a suitable title with minimal effort.  After they changed it to make it 'look nice', you could no longer find specific videos that you knew were there, but didn't quite have the title word perfect.  Grrrrr...   We also see people visit these forums frustrated at going round in circles trying to find specific content.  Heck, I have the same problem sometimes.

I'm a bit shy about putting up a Behance page, because there is some incredibly nice work there.  Our Chuck has a great page, for instance.  I don't do much personal photography nowadays, but I have just completed my registration for Max as a TA, and I can see how having content on Behance would be useful for that.  I do occasionally upload to my old flickr page, but I think the majority of my output is spur of the moment visual gags driven by content on photography blogs like PetaPixel.    This article is typical.  A Darwin Award contender was lucky not have been hurt by an elk that charged her when she got way too close to photograph it, and the comments reflect a desire for to fly through the air, so I made it happen (very near the top of the comments)   I'm embarrassed at my lack of attention to detail looking back at it, but I work very quickly, and I do have proper work that has to be done.

Right.  Lynda.com has a Behance for Dummies title, which just about perfect for me, so I'll get some content online ASAP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 19, 2016 Jun 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I like them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines