Determine if font is type kit font

Engaged ,
Nov 03, 2022 Nov 03, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can determine the number of fonts I have with:

var numOfFonts = app.fonts.length;

Yay! I have three fonts installed!

But I now need a way to determine if that font belong to typekit or not. - This process can be done manually but I'm keen to script this. However, I don't think there are any properties for this in TextItem.

Can it be done with scripting?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Engaged ,
Nov 09, 2022 Nov 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well.. that didn't quite get the response I was hoping for. #wasitsomethingIsaid

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Photoshop does not provide any additional attributes for typekit fonts.

In Windows* you can find a list of such fonts by reading the entitlements.xml file located at:

%userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\CoreSync\plugins\livetype\c\

This XML file have enough attributes to match them with the list of fonts that Photoshop provides:

<font> <url>https://api.typekit.com/desktop_v2/sync/F030623B4FAC08CA0A490D44%40AdobeID/TkD-48850-f80dffe04cf3ca5b0e91778f3f76c5c2e76bb9c1</url>
      <id>48850</id>
      <properties>
        <fullName>BD Supper Regular</fullName>
        <familyName>BD Supper</familyName>
        <variationName>Regular</variationName>
        <familyURL>https://typekit.com/fonts/bd-supper</familyURL>
        <sortOrder>800</sortOrder>
        <owner>Adobe Fonts</owner>
        <installState>OS</installState>
        <installStateUpdatedAt type="dateTime">2022-11-09T10:17:13Z</installStateUpdatedAt>
        <syncFontId>TkD-48850-f80dffe04cf3ca5b0e91778f3f76c5c2e76bb9c1</syncFontId>
        <familyWebId>wbqb</familyWebId>
        <fvd>n4</fvd>
        <isVariable>false</isVariable>
      </properties>
</font>

We can work with this file** like this:

var f = new File(Folder.userData + '/Adobe/CoreSync/plugins/livetype/c/entitlements.xml');
if (f.exists) {
    f.open('r')
    var xmlStr = f.read();
    f.close();
    if (xmlStr.length) {
        var contentXML = new XML(xmlStr),
            typeKitFonts = new XML(contentXML.fonts),
            i = 0, s = [];
        while (typeKitFonts.font[i]) s.push(typeKitFonts.font[i++].properties.fullName);
        alert(s.join('\n'));
    }
}

2022-11-09_13-14-09.png

macOS uses a different livetype storage system and this trick won't work.

** you can find more information about working with XML in JAVASCRIPT TOOLS GUIDE

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to make sure: Are you trying to verify for all installed fonts or only the fonts used in a specific document? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Niether, I'm trrying to keep track of what typekit fonts I'm currently using. Sometimes the typekits fonts time out - possible from not using them for x days or Creative Cloud is on the blink again. 

One idea I had, as I'm experiencing Creative Cloud issues,  is to keep an array of typekits fonts currently installed. Run a script that automatically creates a document with a string of text of all of those type kit fonts. Repeat on a daily basis so you don't "accidentally" lose access to them. - Just an idea...

I've already written a script to find fonts used in a specific document. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't go into too much detail, but typekit fonts are not installed into the operating system. They are stored in the Adobe plugin folder, and, as far as I understand, the files are encrypted (at least when looking at them I did not see data typical for the font files).

By the way, I have never noticed problems with the disappearance of once installed typekit fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

They don't "dissapear" as such - just default to Myriad Pro or something similar.

The script worked a treat 🙂

Also, for my future self:

.properties.postscriptName //Post script font names

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have seen font replacement with Myriad Pro, in most cases this happens with self-installed fonts in the case when the text contains characters that are not in the font table.

I don't see the postscript names in the xml file and this can present a problem when trying to match the font names provided in Photoshop. I assume that the naming system is standardized and in 99% of cases the PostScript name (without separators) is equal to familyName + variationName (also without separators).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Downloaded TypeKit font files didn't used to be encrypted, but I don't think we can discuss how to turn them back into regular OpenType files.

CC App has a built-in timer where activated fonts are deactivated after an amount of time idle. This would only be a problem if the computer was offline and couldn't connect to reactivate the fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines