• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Discontinuing El Cap Support???

Explorer ,
Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously?  Adobe is discontinuing a  subscription product for El Capitan when Apple hasn’t updated their pro machines in 5 years and is about to update them in the next few months?  This seems pretty malicious!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

If your feeling brave you might be able to update your mac to High Sierra using these instructions:

How to Install macOS High Sierra on an Unsupported Mac - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Here is a blog post on OS support: Upcoming Changes to Creative Cloud OS Support for Windows and Mac | Adobe Blog

regards,

steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What does Apple’s machine range have to do with the operating system you run? I don’t like the policy, but so don’t see the connection you are making.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, my Mac doesn’t run anything newer than El Cap, so it’s not supported by CC anymore, and I’ve been waiting 4 years for Apple to have a machine worth upgrading to. But there hasn’t been a new Pro machine that entire time.  They’re expected in spring.

Hopefully CC’s back-compatibility will work as described and I can at least keep the current version despite the subscription model.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But I’m still stuck paying by the month to NOT get the latest updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did the software suddenly become useless just because a newer version came out? I don't understand your point of view unless you believe that only new is any good.

This is of Apple's doing. They are making faster and faster system changes to try and force developers into very narrow "up to date" models. Adobe have certainly embraced that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That would be perfectly right if it wasn’t for the subscription model under which my only option for keeping the Photoshop I already have is to pay for all the updates.  But now Adobe is restricting updates a little to narrowly and I have to pay for all the updates and also can’t get them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your feeling brave you might be able to update your mac to High Sierra using these instructions:

How to Install macOS High Sierra on an Unsupported Mac - YouTube

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff.  I may give it a try.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 17, 2018 Oct 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Its unsupported for a reason. You are better off selling your old Mac and sending (literally) a few hundred bucks on something newer. I just picked up a 2012 Mac mini for $200, as an example. It runs Mojave nicely.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But the 2012 Mini doesn’t run Photoshop as well as my 2008 Pro with it’s various upgrades, and that would also mean changing computers twice in 6 months or a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most Macs made after 2009 can run Sierra/High Sierra. Apple is no longer supporting those machines (I have an early 2009 iMac that is limited to El Capitan) but hey that's over nine years. You can run High Sierra on 2011 iMacs and MacBook Pros, which go for about $3-400 on the used market.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I too am using El Cap on an "ancient" Mac Pro Mid 2012 machine. If I upgrade to the next OS, quite a few pieces of software will no longer be able to work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah.  El Cap was one of the good stable points.  This is part of why I’m hoping to change systems just once in the next 12 months. Currently El Cap is still 14% of MacOS users.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If I upgrade to the next OS, quite a few pieces of software will no longer be able to work.

Do you mind if I ask which ones? Do they have updates available for later Mac operating systems?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 22, 2018 Oct 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mainly it's the one for the Neat Mobile Scanner. I'm scanning a huge amount of business cards with it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I forgot to clarify, Neat no longer supports the "Legacy" software. Instead, they want you to purchase their cloud based software. I'm cutting down on monthly expenses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does VueScan work with your scanner? Or better yet, is there a competing scanner you can get?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 26, 2018 Oct 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Unfortunately, I don't believe so.

I upgraded to Sierra when I can afford to, I'll get another scanner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most software runs fine on the newer OS. Apple has discontinued support including security fixes for El Capitan, they typically support two versions back from the current release.

If you need professional software, you can't be surprised when vendors only target supported systems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I get it...it's just "one more thing"...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines