• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Display aspect ratio when selecting or cropping?

Engaged ,
Mar 24, 2019 Mar 24, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Photoshop Creative Cloud when I'm selecting part of an image or cropping an image with the crop tool, it displays the physical dimensions of the selected region in inches.   But for my purposes I don't care about the physical dimensions, I care about the ASPECT RATIO - the ratio of height to width.   Fort example, I'm a painter and I might be looking for something for a canvas or panel that's 4:3.   

Obviously it can be calculated by hand with a calculator, but as I'm moving the mouse around to try different framing I don't want to keep stopping to punch in some calculations.   Does Photoshop have any way to display the aspect ratio on the fly as you're moving the mouse to make a selection?

Thanks in advance.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you want to lock crop to some particular aspect ratio then use Select a preset aspect ratio or crop size drop down list, choose or type aspect ratio and that should do the job.

lock aspect ratio.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can use JJMack’s aspect ratio script mentioned in this topic:

Re: Guide Lines for Print Sizes Action?

Which will create a selection to a defined aspect ratio, then use the transform selection command if required for constrained resizing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can't display ratio in the box next to the cursor.

I hope I understand you correctly, but if a fixed ratio is all you want, set it on the toolbar:

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 6.57.06 AM.png

and if you want it in the list,drop down to here:

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 7.00.06 AM.png

And add it in the New Preset dialog.

Screen Shot 2019-03-25 at 7.00.20 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your response.  Yes, I literally do want to display it,   As I'm dynamically playing around with different sizing handles Photoshop displays the height and width, but for my purposes it would be convenient to have it display the aspect ratio instead.

I'm an artist and I sometimes paint from photos.   Commercially-made canvasses/panels come in certain standard sizes so as I'm cropping the interesting parts of a photo to use as my subject it helps to be able to see the ratio so I can estimate whether I have a canvas or panel in my supply that might be good to paint this on.

So if others concur that there's no way to do it, I'll mark this as the correct answer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

This request is very similar to the one that I linked to in my post #2, there are many ideas explored in that topic thread and it may be worth a look… Such as Conrad’s idea of using a vector template overlay with various predefined aspect ratios marked, which can be resized and “framed” over the image content to visualise multiple aspect ratios at the same time:

Re: Guide Lines for Print Sizes Action?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines