• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Do you ever flip your images horizontally?

Contributor ,
Mar 25, 2019 Mar 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been playing around with this 'technique' to see if (temporarily) changing the perspective (of a project you've sunk numerous hours into) will help lend new ideas/insight on how to further edit/fine-tune images.. I would consider it analogous to something like temporarily pitch-shifting a song you're working on up or down a semitone or two, to observe how you react.. I'm guessing it's the closest thing you can get to seeing your work again for the 'first time,' to try and gauge what your first impression might have been.. Has anybody else experimented with this? Do you consider it a useful tool? And do you use any similar techniques? thnx!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess so.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For flow, yes, I agree with you Dag. Your last example is a good image for this. The top image gives me the impression of the woman in the shawl is handing the woman with the outstretched arm something, where as in the second image, it gives me the impression that it's the other way around. For straight composition, an upside-down image works well. And as Semaphoric mentioned, culture also impacts this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, I've had F-triggered actions, no modifiers, for as long as I can remember. Of course, I can barely remember my own birthday, so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 26, 2019 Mar 26, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I flip images a lot during composition, not just horizontally. It's just a matter of vision.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines