• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Don't color manage and use working color profile photoshop for printing full sublimation

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2023 Feb 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

before strating someone taught me to use cmyk mode and the res 75 for editing sublimation and i was using it for a month and noticing that the print out is not so great and researched, so i changed it to res 300 but then i encounter the assign profile and checking all the past layouts the assign profile is Don't color manage, but what does Don't color manage or use working color profile affect when printing?

sorry i'am just new at layouting for sublimation printing so i don't know the do and don'ts yet. i don't know where to ask, obviously the one who taught me is out of the question because of the past experience. I hope my concern makes sense and hoping for your help.

Thank you.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any experience with sublimation and don't know what color space (profile) the printer wants to receive the file in. You'll have to ask the printer about that.

What I can say is that the document profile is and should be independent from that. There should always be an embedded document profile and you should never pick "don't color manage". That's a recipe for disaster. The embedded document profile for all your master files should be a standard color space like sRGB, Adobe RGB or ProPhoto.

Always keep color management policies set to "preserve embedded profiles". The profile is what defines the colors. Without a profile, it's undefined and can come out as anything at all.

Then, when the printer tells you what profile they want, convert a copy to that and send that (Edit > Convert to Profile).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh I see, keeping note on this, thank you so much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "no color management" in Photoshop. Even using "Don't Color Manage" assumes some color space based on your color settings. Sublimation printing isn't unique or new to the need for color management (in fact, my first digital printer in 1993 was a dye sub from Kodak). Who's making the prints if not you, what device, and what exactly are they requesting from you? 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So the assign profile "Don't color manage and use working color profile" don't matter if printing sublimation?
I do the layouts and printing, I'am using a dye sublimation printer (Printer Kin Zen JC-1800i model), they're requesting for the outcome of the color to be more vibrant, before i was using the res 75 but the outcome is low quality so changed it to res 300, so i just assume assigning profile changes something to the color when printing making it vibrant

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resolution is something else, it has nothing to do with color profile. 300 ppi is probably overkill for this; 75 ppi maybe a bit low. Again, ask them what they want.

But note that this doesn't change the file. The file is just pixels. Pixels per inch, ppi, is metadata. It's an instruction for pixel density, and thus final physical size given the pixel dimensions of the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 28, 2023 Feb 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this is helping me a lot thank you for you answers.
they said the quality is good, just want the colors to be more vibrant.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Ces286169981nk1 "this is helping me a lot thank you for you answers.
they said the quality is good, just want the colors to be more vibrant."

That’s a matter of good colour management and the gamut of the printing device.

To get this working right and for predictability, you need good screen calibration and profiling [using a sensor device such as Calibrite display pro] so that you can SEE the image correctly, then - a well colour managed output process will provide a decent match [within the capabilities of the output process].

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Those commands do matter because again, there is always Color Management taking place in Photoshop. 

75/300 if the resolution (pixels per inch) have nothing to so with Color Management.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Ces286169981nk1 "So the assign profile "Don't color manage and use working color profile" don't matter if printing sublimation?" 

Photoshop colour manage settings always matter

For dye sub, as with any other printing, you'd ideally be working in one of the Photoshop working colour spaces (eg Adobe RGB, that would now be the working color profile) then, in the print process, the document is converted to the printer ICC.

Assigning a profile can be dangerous if you don't know what you're doing, it should only be used for images with no embedded profile (where the "right" profile has to be guessed) and for situations where the wrong ICC profile has been assigned (rare). 

As digitaldog explained there is no such thing as "no colour management" in Photoshop. When in image with no embedded profile (or with 'do not colour manage' selected) is viewed in Photoshop then a document profile has to be assumed by the application, that’s not ideal.

I hope this helps
neil barstow, colourmanagement net - adobe forum volunteer - co-author: 'getting colour right'
google me "neil barstow colourmanagement" for lots of free articles on colour management

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines