Double line, parallel line

Explorer ,
Dec 18, 2023 Dec 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

C8A12185-6573-41EE-B205-26CDD9DE5D3E.png

Hi 

I have this image in PS.

What i want to do is create a second line inside following the first line.

Initially i tried to duplicate the image and scale it down, but that didnt work.

This is a manual drawing which shows what i want to do, never mind the color:

IMG_4352.jpeg

Is there a faster way to do this in PS?

Thanks for any help!

--------------------
Art is Life is Art
TOPICS
iPadOS , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Create a selection in the interior of the shape (such as magic wand), then use Selection > Modify > Contract. On a new layer, you can also stroke the selection with a brush and or use layer style effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

I've made the angel shape yellow so we can see what is going on.

Starting with the angel shape with transparent background, double click to open Layer Styles, and give it a thin black stroke with it set to Centre.

Layer Styles work rather like Photoshop layers.  When you have multiple Strokes, Drop Shadows etc. the higher ones cover the ones beneath them.  If you have never added more than one stroke in Layer Styles, you'll only see the one when you first open it.  So you need to click on th

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a selection in the interior of the shape (such as magic wand), then use Selection > Modify > Contract. On a new layer, you can also stroke the selection with a brush and or use layer style effects.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 22, 2023 Dec 22, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi and thanks for helping.

What do i do next after select-modify - contract so i can give that selection a stroke?

--------------------
Art is Life is Art

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 19, 2023 Dec 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've made the angel shape yellow so we can see what is going on.

Starting with the angel shape with transparent background, double click to open Layer Styles, and give it a thin black stroke with it set to Centre.

Layer Styles work rather like Photoshop layers.  When you have multiple Strokes, Drop Shadows etc. the higher ones cover the ones beneath them.  If you have never added more than one stroke in Layer Styles, you'll only see the one when you first open it.  So you need to click on the + to open another.

Click on the lower of the two stroke styles, make it the samer colour as the angel. Set it to Inside, and the size to whatever you want the offset to be.  Note: you won't be able to see what's happening because it will be yellow on yellow, or whatever colour you are using.

Click to make a third Stroke.  Select the lower one, and the color to black, the size to the value of the offset plus the width of the stroke.  

image.png

Incidentally, if you make a Layer Style that you like, and might like to use again, you can save it in the Styles panel.

With the relevant layer selected, click on the New Style at the bottom of the Styles panel, and give it a name.

image.png

To use it again, select the layer and click on the style

Note: If you wanted the interior of the shape to be the same colour as the offset, then add a yellow Colour Overlay to the saved Layer Style.  

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines