• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Droplets created pre-version 23.0 upgrade NOW won't communicate with Photoshop??

Community Beginner ,
Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated to 23.0, drivers all up to date and now 75+ droplets, some needed for client processing, won't communicate with PS.....please address this bug.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 30, 2021 Oct 30, 2021

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey.

I looked at the link you provided, steps 1 - 3 followed...  No success.

1. After launching PS, created a new droplet. (Simple:  export to JPG (legacy)), save, close.
  2. Tried to launch droplet. 
  3. With PS already running and a file open, Droplet "appears" to run; but actually doesn't do anything.  No longer getting the "couldn't communicate" error.
  4. If PS is not running, PS tries to launch, but throws error:  "An unrecoverable problem has occurred.  Photoshop will now exit".  This is extremely intermittent.  Sometimes PS is OK, othertimes, see #5
  5. Manually launching PS "sometimes" works:  sometimes launches OK, other times, all the dropdown menus are hosed (no text showing in the actual menus!!!).
  6. Have done a complete hardware test, no failures/issues (including memory), just as a sanity check.

I then used Adobe Cloud to uninstall PS, rebooted, and then used AC to reinstall, but kept preferences, etc.  Same issues as above.  

Tried running both PS and droplet "as administrators" (right click to launch); i.e. didn't change their properties through UAC.  Same as above.

Whatever is going on, not good at all.  Hoping you can help.

UPDATE:  Please ignore my previous comments.  

Another uninstall/reinstall pass and now things are working properly.  I have no idea what was going on, but happy to get back to work...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@J453 

from that page:

"Note:

Droplets (and other things) that communicate with Photoshop lose the connection if the last thing you did was uninstall. For example, if you started with Photoshop CC 2015, then installed CC 2017, and uninstalled CC 2015, the droplet connection is lost for Photoshop CC 2017. This issue revolves around the Windows installers.

If you want to remove CC 2015 and only keep CC 2017, to keep droplets running, uninstall CC 2015, then reinstall CC 2017. You can keep both versions on your computer if you want. The key is having the last thing occurring be an installation, not an uninstallation."

When the CC installer removes previous versions, does it, perchance, do this after installing the new one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Oct 29, 2021 Oct 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hoping someone can help.

Droplets worked fine.  Upgraded to PS CC 23.0.0.  Droplets immediately stopped working (couldn't communicate with Photoshop).  Nothing else changed at all.

I have some 50 or so droplets, some needed when I release images to clients.  

Trying to deliver some 60 images to a waiting client, under deadline.  "Broken" droplets has broken my workflow.

Win10/64, completely current.  Video driver also current.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here!

Droplets worked fine before v23 - absolutely no issues.

Now they are entirely non-functional.

I just updated to v23.1 to see if the Adobe boffins have fixed this, but nope, still broken.

Seems that the droplet feature always gets broken with each major release of PS.

Anyone know a work-around, short of manually running the actions live in PS?

My latest...

Used Adobe Cloud to rip out the v23.0.1 version and reinstalled the v22.5.3 (retaining plugins etc)

Everything now works fine again. PS itself is back to being snappy rather than having a 2second lag, and most importantly for me, the droplets all work again.

Definitely something screwy with the v23, imo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been reporting this bug on and off for at least 12 years. All my original bug reports and forum posts predate the current bug reporting pages and forums. I vaguely remember uninstalling and reinstalling photoshop seems to work. its a pain in the arse, but that's where I'm going to start and I'll report back. 

Some people have had success

1.making PS run in administrator mode,

2. and/ or the droplet, or

3. running in ps mode and re-creating the droplet

variations of the above

4. Sacrifiding a goat to the gods of adobe

none of them worked for me though

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 12, 2021 Dec 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK ridiculous though this is:

Clean install failed until I had run PS as administrator once (and that failed)

and then ran it again no as administrator. Suddenly, and for no apparent reason, everything is working again - same droplets in the same location as previously.

So in other words, try that first and see what happens:

Run PS in admin mode, attempt to run droplet. Wait wait wait for it to give you the error (it took a long time),

then quit and run again normally

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I personally could take or leave droplets, they are just another form of automation similar to batch actions, so one could use automate/batch or the built-in Image Processor script, or the 3rd party Image Processor Pro or Picture Processor or other batch scripts. This is not intended to start a fight, it is just noting that there are other options out there if a droplet does not work. Of course, everybody saves their actions to .atn files and backs them up first, before turning them into a droplet. 😐

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My workflow for exporting my pics to the same relative folder every time and applying my styling action:

Lightroom > export

This does it all in once step. It means when I come back to it its all done.

Your proposed workflows have a crap more steps and a tonne of cognitive load. Thats why I developed my action in the first place. 

Otherwise I'm left waiting for one step to finish before doing the next.   It may not sound like much but when you do it every day for 15 years, you know its kinda annoying when it breaks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said:

"This is not intended to start a fight, it is just noting that there are other options out there if a droplet does not work".

At least one can get the job done rather than missing a deadline by not knowing that there are other options if one suddenly has their workflow destroyed by a broken droplet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I said :"I've been reporting this bug on and off for at least 12 years. All my original bug reports and forum posts predate the current bug reporting pages and forums"

not massively likely is it, that I don't know there are other options.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sigh, I don't believe that my reply was even directly to you, but to the OP as a general comment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I'm not sure why you're sighing. What did you expect? You posted into a thread with obviously frustrated people, trying to figure out a problem to denigrate their problem. The what-you-might-see-as-OTT-reaction from me, is not a measure of your response. Its a measure of the frustration courtesy of adobe.  And not just for this issue, but for all the other hundreds of niggles and snafus across their product line. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines