Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Edited files when clicked they disappear. Photoshop

New Here ,
May 18, 2024 May 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP!

After a month or two, I opened Photoshop 2022 v24.7 again to work on images.
All my previous edited images are gone, only the original file remains in "recents".

The first time when opened photoshop the edits where there, but as soon i clicked on them they vanished. Now even when re-open photoshop they are missing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the future, to find the best place to post your message, use the list here, https://community.adobe.com/

p.s. i don't think the adobe website, and forums in particular, are easy to navigate, so don't spend a lot of time searching that forum list. do your best and we'll move the post (like this one has already been moved) if it helps you get responses.

<"moved from using the community">

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It cannot be emphasized enough. Note where and in which folder you save your files. They are not "in" Photoshop, they are at a certain location on disk. You need to know where they are.

You cannot rely on recent files. It's a convenience feature to let you pick up where you left off before lunch, nothing more. It is not for file management.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 19, 2024 May 19, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Maybe i didn't explained myself well.
I have the orgininals and i know where the edited ones are saved. That's not the issue.

The problem is;

Even thought i have edited an image a month ago let's say, photoshop doesn't show the editing in that image anymore, it deleted the editing already done, which means i can't go back to work on that image from where i left. It's like i never done anything to it. This happend with all the images
I need to have those editing on photoshop to pick up from where i left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes it's not very easy, but the topics are many so it's understandable.

Thanks for the help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The recent files are just a listing of aliases/shortcuts, they are not the originals. If the original images have been moved or renamed then the links will break/disappear when you attempt to access them as they are no longer valid/available.

You need to find the originals again where you saved them, or renamed or moved them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. Maybe i didn't explained myself well.
I have the orgininals and i know where the edited ones are saved. That's not the issue.

The problem is;

Even thought i have edited an image a month ago let's say, photoshop doesn't show the editing in that image anymore, it deleted the editing already done, which means i can't go back to work on that image from where i left. It's like i never done anything to it. This happend with all the images
I need to have those editing on photoshop to pick up from where i left.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the orgininals and i know where the edited ones are saved.

By @Carlo37481342y1u1

Are you saving to the Cloud, a folder on your HD, or to an external drive?

Can you check the Creation and Modified dates in Mac Finder or Windows File Explorer and let us know what you see?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am saving the images on an external drive.

Can you guide on how to check the Creation and Modified dates on Mac?

Is it possible that photoshop created this problem because i moved those edited saved files into another folder?

I did "save with name". Just "save" wasn't good for me for another reason that we can discuss in another topic 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Carlo37481342y1u1 

1. Adobe Photoshop does not support saving and opening from a removable external drive. It works until it doesn't, and when it doesn't then you lose your files. Details here:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/networks-removable-media-photoshop.html

2. I'm not in my office now. I'll send a screenshot of Finder very soon.

3. Yes! If you move, rename, or delete the files and then try to open with recents from the Home Screen, the preview disappears. Open from File > Open or from Finder.

4. Most likely, the clue here is that you mention the sidecar files (.xmp). You can't save a RAW file in that format. If you open a RAW file in Photoshop, it requires saving it to another format such as .psd or .tiff. Is that what is happening?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Carlo37481342y1u1 

Here are the steps for using Finder in macOS. Are the Create and Modified dates the same or different on the modified files?

1. View items in a List (2nd view icon)

2. Right-click in the bar with Name, Size, Kind, et cetera
If you get a different menu, then you are too high or too low

Select Date Modified and Date Created.

3. They now appear in the bar for headings

janee_0-1716138041520.png

This may or may not be the issue, but it needs to be checked.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Create and Modified dates ARE NOT the same. Make sure you read the above reply i wrote.
The modified files where deleted and saved again with name as tiff, in fact the comparison dates are made with the originals (raw) and modified (tiff). The .psd ones where deleted but i would like to recover the post processing to be able to save them and have copies on lightroom as well, with photoshop adjustments

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jane-e you are awesome. All your help is very appreciate!

1. That's good to know. Basically if the files where i'm working on are in an external drive i can exepct to lose the edits at any time?! Not cool if so.
2. Thanks for the screenshot.
3. I don't understand very well what you are saying here. I did deleted them on drive (the saved ones done with "save" option) but after deleted i could still work on them with the previous editing (days later). So the copies done with just the "save" option where deleted, but then i did saved them with the "save with name" option as tiff and i have those files. Something that might help is; on lightroom on those files appeared the excalmation mark saying the metadata changed or was different. Still, the problem didn't occured yet and could do all the above.
I have the tiff with all the edits, but i need the history on photoshop of my editing steps to properly see what i've done to those files, so that i could in case save a copy on lightroom as well with the "save" option on have them there, with other images from the same series.
4. I didn't save a RAW on that format, it just happened by it self. I didn't do it, it appeared. Is definitely not the first time that happens.

Jane you are an angel!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Carlo37481342y1u1 

I don't use LR and don't know what the red exclamation point means. 

The History is only there while the document is still open. When you close and reopen the file, the History panel is cleared.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/undo-history.html#:~:text=To%20display%20the%20History%20pan...

For future edits, look further down in the same Help file to see details on creating a History Log that will save your editing steps. 

1. Choose Edit > Preferences > General (Windows) or Photoshop > Preferences > General (Mac OS).
  2. Click the History Log preference to toggle from on to off or vice versa.

Since the Create and Modified dates are not the same, I'm not sure what to suggest next. Possibly another volunteer will step in. If not, then you'll want to contact Adobe Customer Care, as they can look at your computer.

Try the link to auto-open the Chat:
    https://helpx.adobe.com/contact.html?rghtup=autoOpen  
    Type "agent" to get a human.

If your browser blocks the Chat window, try the steps here:
    https://community.adobe.com/t5/creative-cloud-services/how-to-contact-adobe-support/td-p/11875703  

You can also send a post through X (formerly Twitter) to @AdobeCare.

Do not reply to PMs, which are likely to be scammers.

~Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the history is cleared after closing maybe we didn't understand each other because i worked on the files in different days and any time i would open photoshop the edits were there, in the Home panel i could see the original file plus the modified one, click on the modified and keep working from where i left previously... until it didn't, i clicked one day and suddently the modified file disappeared from photoshop i can't go and work on it from where i left.
Anyway, thanks Jane, your time has been really appreciate. Can't thank you enough.

I will try with adobe customer care, but this is getting annoying and time demanding and i'm close to give up and move on. I just don't want this to happen again, that's why i'm triyng hard to fix it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we mean the same thing by "history" Carlo? This is the History panel and the history is cleared when the file is closed and reopened. What do you mean by history?

janee_0-1716154532493.png

Can you post some screenshots? That would help us tremendously!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if Carlo is talking about Adobe Camer Raw?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wonder if Carlo is talking about Adobe Camer Raw?

By @Semaphoric

Could be!? I'm confused too, I second the recent call from @D Fosse for @Carlo37481342y1u1 to hit the reset button on this discussion and clearly and concisely break this down step by step illustrating with relevant screenshots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stephen i'm sorry i can't do that, i'm new to this forum and that's hard to figure things out ahahah

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nope, I didn't used Camera RAW

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guys i'm trying to explain it better with screenshots

1. That's where all this mess happened
Schermata 2024-05-20 alle 20.07.19.png

With history i mean all the edits i have done in an image. But forget about it that could confuse ideas

In that exact place you see in the screenshot, which in english should translate in "Home", in "recents" (where you see the images in the screenshot) if everything was working properly and nothing happened there were copies of those images with the edits done (layers, dodge and burning ect ect ect), something photoshop do normally. In different days i opened photoshop, and the modified files where there, with layers ect, as i left them. All good so far.
2 days ago I opened photoshop, clicked in the modified files and the suddently disappeared in front of my eyes. They never came back. That's the situation as today.

Things to take into consideration are.

1. When you save an image like this, just with "save", it creates a copy in LR, a .psd, with all the layers and PH edits. I deleted those files (the copies with edits not the originals). But, the problem didn't occured after that. I still went on PH, work on the files as i left them (with edits previously done in different days) and saved them as .tiff

Schermata 2024-05-20 alle 20.20.54.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

2. Another thing to take into consideration are probably .xmp files that appeared by them self, after the modified copies vanished in PH

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlo, you show a Canon RAW file opened as a Smart Object in Photoshop. If you right-click on the layer's name in the panel, and select "Edit Contents"; are those the edits you want?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Carlo, you show a Canon RAW file opened as a Smart Object in Photoshop. If you right-click on the layer's name in the panel, and select "Edit Contents"; are those the edits you want?

No they are not. It opens Camera Raw.
The edits i have done already, some dodge and burn and color layers, have disappeared, there aren't in photoshop. Is not that i can't see them or find them, they are simply not there anymore.

By @Semaphoric

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2024 May 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, you are losing Adjustment Layers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines