• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Editing actions

Participant ,
Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to edit an action step? I know I can delete existing steps and, by setting the current step and recording, add a step, but what I am asking about is actually editing a single step.

For example, in my attempt to learn about using and recording actions I created a shadow mask using a gradient map and a newly created shodows gradient. If I coud edit one of those steps by changing the selected gradient name to something else I could duplicate the steps and create midtone and highlists masks as well without having to record all of the indiviual steps for midtones and highlights.

As of now I have not found any way to do that, but then I am new enough to Photoshop that I might not know where to look.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jun 20, 2023 Jun 20, 2023

For many action steps you can double click on the step to set new parameters.

You need to have an image open in photoshop before editing the action steps.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-actions.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For many action steps you can double click on the step to set new parameters.

You need to have an image open in photoshop before editing the action steps.

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/creating-actions.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah. I clicked and right-clicked, but did not double-click. Thank you for the post.

Apparently this does not work for the step I want to edit (which specifies which gradient to select for the gradient map), but it will certainly be helpful for other actions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's also available as an action panel menu item – Record again:

record-again.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I must be missing something. Exactly what is the purpose of Record Again? 

I can go to any action step, click on it, press Record and it will add those steps to the script until I press Stop. Or I can create a new action by pressing Record. What does Record Again give someone that Record itself does not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This tells me what I can do, not why Record Again is any diffeent from Record, and then Stop.

What does Record Again buy me that Record and Stop does not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All I was pointing out is that there is a menu command that does the same as double clicking a step. This edits the existing step if possible. Recording a new step and deleting the old may offer advantages, but isn't the same thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As the Record Again... option always confuses me, I just literally record again the steps you can't double-click (which are many).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines