• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Empty layer when duplicating onto separate document

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I often duplicate layers onto a different file. Sometimes this works fine, and other times it will copy the layer but not copy the actual picture. I haven't been able to figure out the connection and when it will appear or not. Sometimes creating a new template will help, but other times, it will not appear on a new template either. Does anyone have any ideas on why this is happening or what to do about it?Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 2.37.42 PM.png

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

I have sometimes encountered that.

Try dragging the layer from the layers panel into the second document or onto it's title bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Beginner , Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

I can't believe it was so simple, but this worked! Thank you!

It gave me some information in the process. Apparently, the original file is a different bit depth, so my guess is that something related to mismatched bit depth prevents the picture from being copied to certain files. 

For anyone else looking, this is how to fix or check bit depth:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quot-target-document-has-a-different-depth-than-source-document-quot-help/td-p/5278509

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2024 Apr 11, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you describe your specific path to produce this problem? What are you selecting- the layer itself or the pixels on the canvas? How are you copy/pasting - a keyboard shortcut, menu, or drag and drop? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 21, 2024 Apr 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure! I start with a layer mask in the first document, select and merge the layers, right-click, then "duplicate" the single layer onto the second document. I don't use keyboard shortcuts for this process. This particular layer/picture I CAN duplicate onto a different document and see the photo, I just cannot duplicate it directly into the document I need it to be in until after I duplicate it first into a different document.

I also checked that it is not outside the document constraints.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which version of Photoshop are you using? To clarify, does your layer contain content prior to using the 'Duplicate Layer' command? When you select the destination document from the 'Document' drop-down menu in the 'Duplicate Layer' dialog, does it result in an empty layer in the destination document?

duplicate layer.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Photoshop 2023.

Correct, the content exists in the previous document. The duplicated layer will appear in the new document, but with no content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To assist someone in replicating the issue, please provide the exact version of Photoshop. You can find this information under Help > About Photoshop.

For any unusual behavior in Photoshop, the general recommendation is to reset preferences. Remember to save all unsaved actions and presets before resetting preferences.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

24.7.3 Release but this issue has been happening to me for around a year.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reset my Photoshop preferences but it did not solve the issue unfortunately.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have sometimes encountered that.

Try dragging the layer from the layers panel into the second document or onto it's title bar.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 22, 2024 Apr 22, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I can't believe it was so simple, but this worked! Thank you!

It gave me some information in the process. Apparently, the original file is a different bit depth, so my guess is that something related to mismatched bit depth prevents the picture from being copied to certain files. 

For anyone else looking, this is how to fix or check bit depth:
https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/quot-target-document-has-a-different-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines