• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eraser Tool - Crosshair instead of circle

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2022 Mar 23, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, I've been using photoshop for years and have never had this issue before. Everything was working fine until suddenly my eraser tool seemed to appear as a crosshair rather than the normal circle cursor I usually see. When I apply it to my photo, it erases the whole subject matter rather than the particular area I am applying it to. I have tried the CAPS Lock thing, I've tried to adjust the cursor in preferences, restart the app but nothing seems to work. Any help would be much appreciated as I have an assignment due soon. 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you reset the Tool yet? 

Could you please post screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 12.33.50 AM.pngScreen Shot 2022-03-24 at 12.36.44 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please don’t just post snippets but »screenshots with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Options Bar, …) visible« – simply the whole screen for example. 

What have you done for all-purpose trouble-shooting so far? 

Restoring Preferences after making sure all customized presets like Actions, Patterns, Brushes etc. have been saved might be a good starting point:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preferences.html

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 12.39.46 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, you get that cursor when the brush you want to use is bigger than what can be shown on screen. and you r explanation seems to corellate that. What is the brush set to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Check to see if the Caps Lock is on. If it is, undo it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 11, 2023 Dec 11, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you ever solve this issue...I'm having the same thing with the crosshair rather than circle and it's making me crazy!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please post screenshots to clarify what you get, what you want, what the settings are? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 12, 2023 Dec 12, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for responding.  I had already checked cap locks and all of the usual issues, but no matter what I did I could not get rid of the crosshair cursor.  I also checked the cursor and it had normal brush tip selected.  I finally deleted photoshop and re-uploaded and then re-set tools and that finally did the trick.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 14, 2023 Dec 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi, some users reported that they had a laptop with an external keyboard, and that the caps lock was on the (closed) laptop. 

But then, other tools would be affected.

Before deleting photoshop, try a right-click of the tool icon in the option bar, and select "reset tool"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines