• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

ESC key not working outside PS in Vista...

New Here ,
Oct 23, 2007 Oct 23, 2007

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This haunts our users since we migrated to Vista. When Photoshop CS2/CS3 is running under Vista the ESCAPE key does not work correctly with other programs. When PS is running, the escape key works only when pressing SHIFT+ESC together. This is extremely annoying when multiple programs are used, what could be the root of the problem?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Nov 04, 2008 Nov 04, 2008
elipsoid - figure out which of your third party plugins is messing up the escape key...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Oct 18, 2011 Oct 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tomas - I'm very sorry that you misread the posts in this topic and misunderstood most of what I've been saying.  And I'm sorry if I did not use the precise words you were looking for when trying to help people figure out what was causing the problem on their systems (when so many other users don't see a similar problem).

If you read the forums more closely, you will find that we investigate  reports of problems, acknowledge our own problems and get them fixed as soon as we can.  But what's left after that are problems that we cannot fix, things outside of our control -- and that's what most customers run into after we fix our problems.  So yes, many of the explanations are going to involve someone else's code - because that's the most common cause of problems (by a huge margin).  That does not mean that Adobe, or I, always blames others - it's just simple process of elimination that the external causes are the majority that remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris, has ATI ever said why they might want to absorb Escape key presses for certain applications?  Or did it just seem to be a bug in their Hotkeys implementation?  Notably Hotkeys were not even enabled by default, at least not on my setup.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We didn't get a response with any details, unfortunately.

We think it was just a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2011 Nov 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

I have a brand new Sony Vaio laptop using an Nvidia GT 520M graphics card, and yet I am experiencing this exact problem with my Esc key. This clearly isn't an ATI issue in my case.

I'm using Windows 7 64-bit and Adobe Photoshop CS4 64-bit. If I close Photoshop normal Esc key functionality returns... that points to Photoshop as being related to the problem. You can try to shift the blame to other parties if you want, but you can't deny that the Esc key works perfectly when Photoshop isn't running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps the upgrade to CS5 would be worth buying, if for no other reason than to just no longer be frustrated by this particular system integration bug.  And it's not like Photoshop CS5 doesn't bring other value to the party.  I couldn't live without Content Aware Fill.  It's saved me countless hours of cloning.

While we hope that Adobe does the best they can to make their products work well on the most possible systems, the responsibility for making things from different vendors work on our systems is ultimately ours.  This is the price we pay for inexpensive mix and match hardware and software.  You may not think that Photoshop is inexpensive, but a few hundred dollars for a product that's a result of man-centuries of work is cheap indeed!  And how much did you pay for your ATI video card, hardware, software, and all?  Less than a hundred bucks I'll wager.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have no Catalyst drivers or software, but I have this problem on Vista Business and PS CS3. When I remove all my plugins (incl. the orginal ones) from the PS folder, the ESC functions normally. Any solution?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

elipsoid - figure out which of your third party plugins is messing up the escape key...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Normally, the Escape key works just fine for me in 64-bit Vista with Photoshop running. The exception is when Photoshop is busy running an action or script (e.g., any batch action, Image Processor, etc.). Now the Escape key seems to be swallowed by Photoshop, whether or not it has keyboard focus. This has happened to be with XP and Vista, with CS3 and CS4 (I forget if I had this problem with CS2 and earlier).

Sending a literal Ctrl-[ keypress (also ASC 27, same as Escape) works for me. No issues sending Ctrl-0 either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 07, 2008 Nov 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox: Both the original plugins that came with PS as well as additional third party plugins. I've tried clearing the folder and adding plugins one-by-one, starting with the original ones. It worked when there was just the "Import-Export" folder present.
It looks like if there is a plugin in the Plug-Ins folder, the ESC doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 07, 2008 Nov 07, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

elipsoid - but that doesn't happen to most other users. I still strongly suspect that this is due to a third party plugin.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 08, 2008 Nov 08, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris Cox - I did a full reinstall, could there still be a conflict with third party plugins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 09, 2008 Nov 09, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why should a re-install affect third party plug-ins?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 11, 2008 Nov 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No third-party plugins here, and I can confirm that the problem goes away if there are no plugins in the folder, but it seems it doesn't need many of them (tried folder by folder) for the problem to manifest itself. It may have to do with the plug-in interface.

Here is an AutoHotkey script/routine for a workaround:
ESC::

ifWinExist, ahk_class Photoshop
{
IfWinActive ahk_class Photoshop
{
SendInput {ESC}
} else {
SendInput +{ESC}
}
}
return

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Nov 11, 2008 Nov 11, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Photoshop plugin interface doesn't even touch event handling (which is what it would take to interfere with key presses).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 17, 2008 Nov 17, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's not just Vista - I get the same with PS CS4 on XP. Fresh install, too, so unless some plugins crept in there without my asking for them then that's not the issue either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 23, 2008 Nov 23, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem with a completely new installation of Photoshop CS4 on Vista 64-bit. When I remove all plugins, it works fine. But it's quite stupid to do it that way, isn't it? This is a complete list of my plug-ins, so you can check there is no third party

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\3D Engines\Photoshop3DEngine.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\ADM\ADMPlugin.apl
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Automate\CropPhotosAuto.8LI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Automate\HDRMergeUI.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Automate\WIASupport.8LI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Effects\Filter Gallery.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Extensions\FastCore.8BX
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Extensions\MMXCore.8BX
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Extensions\MultiProcessor Support.8BX
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Extensions\ScriptingSupport.8li
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\BMP.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\Cineon.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\Dicom.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\FilmStrip.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\FXG.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\GIF.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\IFF Format.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\OpenEXR.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\PBM.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\PCX.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\Pixar.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\PNG.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\Radiance.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\Targa.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\U3D.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\File Formats\WBMP.8BI
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Average.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\ChannelPort.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Clouds.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Color Halftone.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\CropPhotos.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Crystallize.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\De-Interlace.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Displace.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Extrude.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Fibers.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lens Blur.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lens Correction.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lens Flare.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\LightingEffects.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Liquify.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Mezzotint.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\NTSC Colors.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Pinch.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Pointillize.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Polar Coordinates.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Radial Blur.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Ripple.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Shear.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Smart Blur.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Solarize.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Spherize.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Tiles.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Twirl.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\VanishingPoint.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Wave.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Wind.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\ZigZag.8BF
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\2 O'clock Spotlight
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Blue Omni
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Circle of Light
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Crossing
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Crossing Down
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Default
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Five Lights Down
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Five Lights Up
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Flashlight
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Flood Light
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Parallel Directional
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\RGB Lights
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Soft Direct Lights
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Soft Omni
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Soft Spotlight
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Three Down
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Filters\Lighting Styles\Triple Spotlight
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Image Stacks\statistics.8BA
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Import-Export\Paths to Illustrator.8BE
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Import-Export\Save for Web.8BE
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS4 (64 Bit)\Plug-ins\Measurements\MeasurementCore.8ME

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe I have found where is the problem. If there is ANY plugin within \Plug-ins\Extensions\ folder, the ESC key is not working outside Photoshop. If you remove all plugins from this folder, it seems to be ok. But the plugins names seem to be quite "system level" so is it a goog idea to remove them?

FastCore.8BX
MMXCore.8BX
MultiProcessor Support.8BX
ScriptingSupport.8li

And is there a chance to solve the problem? It is 100% NOT in third party plugins, but it seems to be in the core of Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Pavel- what processor do you have?

also, to clarify, if you have, for example, only the the MMXCore plug-in in that folder, the problem occurs? Basically, the test is: can you put one in at a time, restart Photoshop, and see if you can use ESC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is my System Info. My Processor is Intel Pentium Core 2 Duo E8500 @ 3,16 GHz

Adobe Photoshop Version: 11.0 (11.0x20080919 [20080919.r.488 2008/09/19:02:00:00 cutoff; r branch]) X64
Operating System: Windows Vista 64-bit
Version: 6.0 Service Pack 1
System architecture: Intel CPU Family:6, Model:7, Stepping:10 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP, SSE2
Physical processor count: 2
Processor speed: 3172 MHz
OpenGL Drawing: Enabled.
Video Card: ATI Radeon HD 3800 Series
Video Mode: 1920 x 1200 x 4294967296 colors
Video Card Driver: atidxx32,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atiumdva,atiumd64.dll,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver Version: 7.01.01.821

I have tried to have only MMXCore plug-in in Extensions folder and it doesn't work. It seems to me that if ANY plug-in is in Extensions folder, the ESC key is blocked just for Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Intel Dual Core 1.73 GHz, Vista 32bit SP1, Intel 965 chipset,GMA x3100.

Only by emptying or placing a tilde in front of the folder do I get the ESC key back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 30, 2008 Nov 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do have the same issue with ESC key not working, but the suggestions above either hardly work (the small program seems to get stuck after few hours) or do not work at all (removing plugins).

I've spent quite a bit trying to figure out the solution, but there just weren't anything working, so I did some reseearch on my own - I installed a fresh copy of Vista x64 Ultimate SP1 (Polish) on my PC, then I installed Photshop's trial... and guess what - ESC key worked fine on this setup.

But since it was a mint installation I wanted to try what would happen if I installed drivers. I tried the display driver first - newest version availabe of ATI catalyst and ESC key stopped working outside PS. I know that Catalyst drivers tend to be crappy and have their stupid hotkeys enabled, but that wasn't the case here as the hotkeys were off.

I googled that some other guy found the same issue and ATI's support said something about permissions and that it isn't their fault or something.

Majority of other people I googled and contacted with had ATI 4850-4870 cards and a few were using laptop x3100 (intel) or 8400m (nvidia) chips. Most were on 64bit Vista's, but the 8400m guy used 32bit.

I have no clue what is wrong :(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 30, 2008 Nov 30, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Friends,
Please report the problem here: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/mmform/index.cfm?name=wishform

Be extensive in describing the problem, and please refer back to this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 04, 2008 Dec 04, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another observation: when I am editing a text field in PS, the ESC key works in other programs. As soon as I finish editing the text, it stops working again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 27, 2008 Dec 27, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had some troubles with ATI drivers so I needed to uninstall all ATI stuff - and voilá, ESC key is now working fine outside PS. So I believe there is definitely problem with Photoshop running on machine with ATI Catalyst Center.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 28, 2008 Dec 28, 2008

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just discovered that last ATI Catalyst v. 08.12 does not cause the problem with ESC anymore. Now I can run Photoshop while having Catalyst center running as a background process and everything works well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines