Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Every time I draw on a layer mask it creates a new shape

New Here ,
Jun 24, 2020 Jun 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm pretty new to photoshop, I want to apply filters, hue/saturation..etc to parts of my image, I'm adding the adjustment layer fine, however when I click on the mask to mask out parts of the image I just can't get it to work.

Previously I would click the layer mask, select an area hit enter and I got a bounding rectange around the whole image with grab handles, I could then drag that in to where I wanted it to mask. Simple, no idea why or how it worked like that but it did what I wanted.  Now that doesn't happen.  So i went back to trying to draw on the layer mask, fore ground black, back ground white, rectange tool, click the layer mask preview icon to select it and draw on the image..  But then every time I draw it creates a new shape!!

What on earth am I doing wrong, i've watched every tutorial I can find and my photoshop just does not behave like theirs!

Help!

thanks

Chris

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Shapes have vector mask you would be to use a vector tool to change  the shape of a shape layers.  Painting on a gray scale Layer Mask just hides or reveals  the layer's  pixels there are  no vector it not a shape layer.  Shape layer are fill layers that have vector layer mask. The fill can be a solid color, a gradient or pattern.

If you make a selection and have the move tool active and have checked show transform controls you will see the bounding box.

image.png

image.png

fill black

image.png

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Could you please post a screenshot with the pertinent Panels (Toolbar, Layers, Channels, Options Bar, …) visible? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines