• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Existing type layer replaced by text with other type layer's text upon changing text properties

New Here ,
Jun 06, 2012 Jun 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, this is weird.

I have a type layer with some text in it (a headline, let's say). I click on the layer, I click on the Character Panel, and first thing I see is the color in the Panel is not the color of the font in the layer.

I then click on any Panel property, and the text in this layer is replaced by text from another layer in my document ( a paragraph layer, let's say), but the color is not the same as the layer the text came from.

Seems like a glitch, but I don't know how else to diagnose it.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
replies 124 Replies 124
New Here ,
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having the same issue, i thought it was related to Extensis Suitcase Fusion 3, so I upgraded to find out that didn't work either.. Having the same issue on my iMac or Macbook Pro... changes text randomly to other text and style within the same document

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Jul 06, 2012 Jul 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 4 or more other topics about this.

We know about the bug and are working on it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this bug?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jul 27, 2012 Jul 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had another website comp with many text layers corrupted last week and have seen no update in the interim. I avoid using CS PS6 for editing files with text layers, especially complex files where reconstructing corrupted layers takes lots of time. I recommend using another tool for website comps and similar text layer intensive use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 30, 2012 Jul 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is a MAJOR, MAJOR bug! A month later, still not fixed!!

Adobe knew about this back in April, during the beta phase -- http://forums.adobe.com/message/4308699 -- but they still rolled it out without it being fixed.

When can we expect this to be fixed??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Jul 31, 2012 Jul 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaspman wrote:

When can we expect this to be fixed??

As stated above, we cannot reasonably expect any answer to that from Adobe.  We can only hope a 13.0.1 update is just around the corner.

See post 42 in the following thread for some thoughts I've had on the subject...

http://forums.adobe.com/message/4575278

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update you all on the status of this text corruption bug. Engineering has finally identified the source of the bug, which relates to changes that were made to implement the background save feature in CS6. It was a very hard problem to identify (scripting is also a factor), and is related to issues in other parts of the Photoshop code (Acrobat TouchUp workflow, for example) that we have encountered since CS6 was released. I think it's fair to say the background save changes either exposed for the first time, or otherwise exacerbated problems that have been lurking in the Photoshop code base for some time. Such is life in software development.

But getting back to the text corruption issue, unfortunately, just turning off background save will not prevent the problem, which is consistent with what users have reported around this bug. And once the corruption has occurred, the problem is in the PSD file, and the lost text is not salvageable. At this point, we have no workaround to offer that will prevent these problems from occuring.

I know this is not good news, and I again apologize for the problems this has caused many of you.

We are working hard to get a fix ready, although as I indicated before, I can't comment in detail about when or how this will be made available. We are working first on a very specific, very targetted fix for this text corruption problem, while we also continue to investigate what other parts of the application may be affected by the underlying bug. As I have further information, I will share it with you, in the meantime, we greatly appreciate your patience and help in resolving this.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the detailed update. What's most disconcerting is not just the very serious nature of the bug but that Adobe knew about it BEFORE releasing CS6 for sale and didn't inform buyers about it. Because it is such a major bug, that would have been the most customer friendly tack to take. It seems that the rush to release and bring in the bucks was more urgent than to prevent expensive problems for a lot of unwitting buyers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i hope they arent saying we'll never be able to restore those files sounded a bit ambigous as to the future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ubernaut_4 wrote:

i hope they arent saying we'll never be able to restore those files sounded a bit ambigous as to the future.

PDFerguson said: "And once the corruption has occured, the problem is in the PSD file, and the lost text is not salvageable."

Doesn't sound in the least bit ambiguous to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yeah but in the next sentence Paul did sort of hedge it a bit and "At this point, we have no workaround to offer that will prevent these problems from occuring." Seems to me there should a way to salvage since some of the data for those layers obviously exists but is just reassigned.

i did say "a bit" and "hope" also…

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a software engineer (I speak geek) I read that to mean:

There's no hope of gettin' your corrupted data back and there's no known way to keep Photoshop 13.0.0 from doin' it again without a patch from us, which we're workin' our butts off to get to you without breakin' anythin' else.

If the data truly is still in the file - even most of it - it would be Really Cool if someone with knowledge of PSD file structure could code up a dandy little fixer-upper program.  Adobe has done stuff like that in the past...  C'mon, Adobe.  Wow us on this one.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I salvaged a damaged file, but it wasn't easy. The text itself is preserved, but it moves to a different layer and inherits different coordinates and properties as each text block "switches seats". I saved a copy and screen capture of the file so I could see the original design and then worked on reformatting and repositioning the messed up text layers. I did the rework in PS CS5 and the file seemed to be okay after rework, but perhaps it's a ticking time bomb now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ive been doing somethign similar but i have noticed even new layers also inherit the issue perhaps ocne the fix is out the new layers will stick, we can always hope.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jaspman wrote:

Thanks for the detailed update. What's most disconcerting is not just the very serious nature of the bug but that Adobe knew about it BEFORE releasing CS6 for sale and didn't inform buyers about it. Because it is such a major bug, that would have been the most customer friendly tack to take. It seems that the rush to release and bring in the bucks was more urgent than to prevent expensive problems for a lot of unwitting buyers.

We had one or two reports, but were not able to discern a pattern of problems, nor did we have a reproducible case to look at until after CS6 had been released, so to say we knew the extent and seriousness of this bug before releasing CS6 is not accurate. During our beta cycle, we deal with literally thousands of bug reports, crash logs, and miscellaneous problems that our users report. Many of these turn out to be unreproducible, edge-case, or one-time occurences, or are caused by extraneous, external hardware or software problems (e.g. video drivers). We try our best to identify and fix serious problems before release, but to expect perfection in that process is not realistic.

I am sorry this one slipped through, but all I can do is assure you that we are giving this the serious attention it deserves and are working hard to resolve it.

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone at Adobe deleted part of my post above. I provided a link to a forum discussion -- http://forums.adobe.com/message/4308699 -- in which, on April 3, 2012, Pattie Foxhoven reported the following:

---------------------------------

Hi all-

I can reproduce this and I have logged a bug on this one. Thanks for all the feedback. You guys are great!

Pattie

--------------------------------

Release date was May 7. So Adobe did have reproducible cases well BEFORE release.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Someone at Adobe deleted part of my post above. I provided a link to a forum discussion --

jaspman,

To my knowledge the text bug you reference, which Pattie is acknowledges, is a different bug from the thread topic. 

Your bug  has to do with transforming (scaling) text layers.. then the incorrect font size is shown when the multiple layers are targeted. It is easily reproducible. 

The thread topic is about whole text layers being permanently replaced with other text layers from the same document. A much more troublesome issue, and MUCH more difficult to reproduce.  That may be why your post was edited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We didn't get a reproduceable case for THIS bug until mid-June (and we'd been trying since the beta).

It took the right files and the right steps to reproduce the problem, and those weren't easy to get.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see. My confusion on the other issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 06, 2012 Aug 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi everybody, I've have the same problem, I was editing bigger PSD of website one morning and suddenly every txt layer went crazy. After re-install photoshop with no effect I've found this thread. The work with corrupted PSD is also slower. Each click at layer pallete takes 2-3s Thanks for solving this in future, I know you are doing great job. I'm fan of Photoshop from the version 3 from mid 90s.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Aug 13, 2012 Aug 13, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just checking in on the status of this issue...

I'm still using CS6 - mainly becuase I don't own an earlier version (I subscribe to Creative Cloud--greatest thing ever). I wonder if Adobe would be willing to give me CS5 to use until this bug is fixed? I haven't lost anything major yet - most of my work isn't too text heavy, but I've had a few instances where I was forced to rebuild parts of my files. What worries me is what if some text is corrupted and isn't noticed in the proofing stages and it goes to print - I'll be liable for any damages. We all know how often things are missed on proofs.

(I fell in love with Photoshop in September of 1992 and there hasn't been very many days that I haven't used it since! I compare Adobe products to Apple products - far superior to all of their competitors)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

13.0.0 is still exactly as functional as it ever was, and 13.0.1 hasn't been seen yet.  We're all waiting anxiously for it.

Honestly, if I had a lot of critical text work and I'd seen evidence that my copy of Photoshop CS6 was experiencing this text bug I might well consider using an older version of Photoshop.  No one wants corrupted files!  Adobe has mentioned it being a timing glitch uncovered by Photoshop's new "save in the background" changes, so it's not a given that everyone will experience it I suppose.

I admire the positive tone of your closing comment, but Adobe doesn't really have competition, and Apple is far superior to...  what exactly?  There's no equal to an iPad, but as far as computers go I have a Dell Precision Workstation that's every bit as good as my chief engineer's Apple Mac Pro - both systems are simply excellent.

Based on the traffic here on the forum, it seems there are more Photoshop CS6 glitches overall being reported by Mac users.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guru ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK this particular text bug is cross-platform.

And I would question Noel's anecdotally based assumptions about PsCS6 "glitches" and Macs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

not to add fuel to the fire and start a pc/mac flame war but am i the only one whos finds it ironic that Noel's engineer is using a mac and she as either a designer or someone who is involved enough in design to be involved in this thread is using a pc?

sorry i had to

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually I'm a career software engineer myself.  I just happen to own my own software company.  My chief engineer and I share about the same number of decades experience in software engineering (about 70 years between us), and have worked together for nearly 30 years.  We both go back to times well before there was a Microsoft or Apple, when computers took up whole rooms, and both have experience with both Mac and PC platforms.

I'm actually about as platform-neutral as anyone you'll find.  I like all computers. 

The plain and simple fact is that Windows and OSX are both solid modern operating systems.  When well setup and managed, both can deliver a good user experience, and professional level results.  Whether one is "better" for a particular individual or another is entirely up to that individual.  Given that Apple does not license OSX for use in a virtual machine, a Mac has a slight advantage as a development system, since a PC, while technically quite capable of running a virtualized OSX system, can't legally be used to do so.

And I'm a "he", by the way.  Click on my avatar some time.

-Noel

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines