• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export fonts with PSD

Explorer ,
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like to know if there is any option in photoshop where you can save a PSD file and it automatically saves the fonts used in that PSD. I’ve seen such an option in Corel Draw where you prepare a document for print and it includes all the fonts with that document.

A.Zeb

-------------------------------------

http://www.argusvision.net

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 01, 2009 Sep 01, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No. Save it as a PDF.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 02, 2009 Sep 02, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’ve seen such an option in Corel Draw where you prepare a document for print and it includes all the fonts with that document.

But surely that either was Corel's own file format or just a plain old PDF. For PSD or other image formats no such thing exists and it wouldn't make sense, anyway...

Mylenium

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Bob: Thanks for the tip

@Mylenium: It would make perfect scense if you were to send your client the source PSD file of their site and then they come back asking for all the fonts used. It is a nightmare going through a big PSD and find all the font names fist and then searching them in the windows fonts folder.. Thanks for your help anyway.

A.Zeb

-------------------------------------

http://www.argusvision.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It would not make perfect sense if we take into account that fonts are not often licensed for redistribution in that manner.

That's why we send PDF and an embedded subset of the font data.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

InDesign allows exporting of fonts with a file that is being prepped for press.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't it will gather PSD fonts but I've never tested it because any Photoshop file with text in it should be saved as PDP (Photoshop PDF). Any vector or text info will be rasterized when placing a PSD.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just pointing out that ID can do it, I wasn't indicating that a PSD placed in ID would have its fonts picked up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, if I misunderstood, I guess it's possible the OP might also. I thought you were suggesting placing it in ID to gather the fonts.

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess I could have been more explicit. Whimper, whimper.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bart Cross wrote:

InDesign allows exporting of fonts with a file that is being prepped for press.

InDesign also throws up a warning to the user to ensure they are aware of the legal issues of redistributing fonts. Such a warning would be good for the OP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Warning or not, I still give the necessary fonts to the output bureau. So sue me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bart Cross wrote:

Warning or not, I still give the necessary fonts to the output bureau. So sue me!

As one that works in prepress and also as one that sends work to prepress, I've encountered enough silliness with having the wrong fonts activated and screwing up the flow of type (same fonts, different foundries). So setting aside licensing issues, we've progressed to sending embedded subsets in PDF files to avoid any mishaps on the prepress side.

Despite the fact that Xaibo was comparing how he/she could previously include fonts with a Corel document and that he/she would be "searching them in the windows fonts folder", it appears he/she is now claiming that this topic has nothing to do with him passing off font files to another. Color me confused and unable to offer advice to this ambiguous topic.

I'm simply wondering how muddy this design must be if there are so many fonts that even the designer is lost to recall what was used.

...and why a simple google search could not lead to a script that identifies fonts in PSD files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Miriam: "Color me confused and unable to offer advice to this ambiguous topic."

The question never was 'if you should', it was 'if you can'. You have an amazing way of hi-jacking threads to conform to your way of thinking. I will politely describe it as 'lateral'.

And don't report me for forum abuse again, that was a little much considering your behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bart Cross wrote:

And don't report me for forum abuse again

Bart, I have no idea how to classify your last post. Are you drunk? What abuse?

I'm sorry if you are confused about this topic, especially since it was answered in the very first response. Bob pointed out PDF creation, where you can easily see the fonts used in Adobe Reader or Acrobat (CTRL-D). My last post, with which you apparently took issue with, noted an easily googled script to list font names from a PSD file.  Why the heck are you talking about 'hijacking'?

If you have personal issues with me, please feel free to PM me through this forum, not in someone else's topic. Talk about hijacking. Sheesh...

When Xiabo initially asks for a way to export a copy of fonts (that must already be installed on his system) - - and then later claims that redistribution of fonts is not related to his issue... then you have to wonder what is the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My last post, with which you apparently took issue with, noted an easily googled script to list font names from a PSD file.

He asked how to save them with the file, not get a list of the fonts.

You just don't stop do you.

PM you? Why would I waste my time with your foolishness. I just wish you'd quit wasting everyone elses.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bart Cross wrote:

He asked how to save them with the file, not get a list of the fonts.

...And it was answered that such was not possible. Are you reading the very first word of the very first reply? Are we reading the same thread?

Was there any post of yours here that aided with the question you think was asked? Or aided in any other way to produce a list of fonts? Why are you here other than to argue and make up silly claims about abuse?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"...and make up silly claims about abuse"

Hello,

Though the content you posted below was reported for abuse, it has been approved by our moderators:

Subject: Re: Suggestion needed about scanning newspapers.

Marian: time for HRT and valium.

Posted: 8/21/09 11:00 AM

Thank you for participating in the Adobe Online Forums.

Like I'm a kitten going for a ribbon, sloppy attempt at misdirection.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reported your last post for 'General Abuse'. The comment I made was:

"This guy is an idiot - disrupting other threads with an issue from another thread"

Bart, grow up and move on. Maybe it is you who needs the 'HRT and valium'.

Oy. Hijackers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

...says the person who called me drunk and referred to other posters as 'hillbillies'

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bart this "Marion" person only comes here to be confrontational.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teMlv3ripSM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Marion just doesn't get it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John Joslin wrote:

Bart this "Marion" person only comes here to be confrontational.

As demonstrated clearly with this thread, I came here to respond to Xiabo, with whom no confrontation exists. It was Bart who came to respond to me. So there seems to be a lack of logic in John's comment and his YouTube posting.

Bart Cross wrote:

Marion just doesn't get it.

I would love to get it if you would offer it in a private message instead of being so off topic in someone else's thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will you people give it a rest already...Please!

Bob

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I'm out of here. Just waiting for my forum abuse email from the moderators.

Seems if you're cited three times, you get <Humble Pie> Thiry days in the hole....</Humble Pie>

Couldn't resist:

Hello,

Though the content you posted below was reported for abuse, it has been approved by our moderators:

Subject: Re: Export fonts with PSD

"...and make up silly claims about abuse"

Hello,

Subject: Re: Suggestion needed about scanning newspapers.

Marian: time for HRT and valium.

Posted: 8/21/09 11:00 AM

Like I'm a kitten going for a ribbon, sloppy attempt at misdirection.

Posted: 9/2/09 11:14 AM

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines