Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Export ignores vector mask

Community Beginner ,
Nov 30, 2021 Nov 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
I have an image with 4000x4000px. All elements are grouped in a folder. I add a vector mask to the folder with 4000x4000px and want to export the image as PNG with transparent background with 4000x4000px.
In the previous Photoshop versions this always worked. Since the last update, however, the exported image is cropped to the content (see screenshot). Can I change this setting somewhere or how else can I achieve the desired result?

Thank you

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What are you doing exactly to export? 

Please provide a meaningful description of the menu items etc. 

Have you tried File > Export > Save for Web (Legacy)? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use the "Export as..." option. Please see the video.

"Save for Web (Legacy)" does export the whole artboard and is a workaround for my specific problem, thanks. But the vector mask is still ignored -> see video.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am not sure I understand; the Export As-preview does seem to indicate thet the Vector Mask is honored; only the lower right part of the image is displayed – isn’t that the part the Vector Mask reveals? 

Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 11.46.14.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The right transparent part of the artboard ist missing. The as-preview & the exported picture should look like the attached screenshot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does

Photoshop > Preferences > Export > Use legacy "Export As"

make a difference? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can't find this setting...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Strange. 

Which Photoshop version are you using? 

Screenshot 2021-11-30 at 11.59.38.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS Version 23.0.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Legacy isn't available if you're using an M1 =(

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I apologize, the screenshot already illustrated that you are using File > Export > Export As. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, could this issue be related to this one? https://community.adobe.com/t5/photoshop-ecosystem-discussions/export-as-now-crops-to-contents-inste... If yes, I suggest to explain what you are trying to acheive, and why the new behaviour does not work for your needs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, its the exact same bug. And as mentioned in the other thread I own a M1 Mac and so the legacy option is not available. As I wrote in my comments I would like to achive the same behaviour as in the prevoius Photoshop versions. When I use a vector mask on a folder and right click > "Export as..." I want PS to export the exact content of the vector mask including the transparent pixels...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Dec 02, 2021 Dec 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, removing this "feature" was a huge mistake on Adobe's part. They're calling the original behavior a bug, but if so, then why did it take more than 6 years to fix?
And my mind can't grasp how they thought it was a good idea to remove the behavior without including a toggle for the original behavior. It's almost as if they don't quite understand that Ps is a application used by countless professionals who all depend on the tools remaining consistent over time, and that any small deviation in a behavior can send ripples across industries and make our daily lives so much more difficult. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines