• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Exporting and Importing Presets - where has it gone?

Contributor ,
Sep 12, 2024 Sep 12, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm just trying to move my workspaces from one computer to another. As it has always* been with Adobe, they've made it as difficult as possible. 

The help page:

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/preset-migration.html?x-product=Helpx%2F1.0.0&x-product-loca...

says: "SOURCE COMPUTER: On the computer that has the presets you want to migrate, do the following:

1. Open Photoshop.
  2. Choose Edit > Presets > Export/Import Presets."

But of course, that menu item doesn't exist in 25.13.0 (beta) on the Mac or 25.12.0.

Temp.jpg

So I assume I'm back to chasing around in user libraries?
Why can't Adobe make this a feature? Or have they hidden some new cloud solution somewhere and I (and the help files) just don't know about it

Thanks for reading my ranting. And sorry for the exasperation. 

*Since version 3.0. Swear to god.  They had "Preset Syncing" for two minutes but that's discontinued.

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Sep 14, 2024 Sep 14, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@nealbridgens 

Apologies for not seeing your post for two days. I'm not sure if you read to the bottom of the link you posted?

"To move these settings to a new installation, copy these files from the following path on the source installation to the same path on the target installation:

Mac:<Username>/Library/Preferences/Adobe Photoshop <version> Settings

I can't remember if the Library file off your user name is hidden. If so, show your hidden files.

Does this help?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 18, 2024 Sep 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jane.

That does help. Thank you.

But really, this shouldn't involve having to hunt around in hidden folders. Particularly when you see just how many of these folder trails of old photoshop preferences (or used to be "preference panes") I have and they have chosen different paths in the past. 
It bothers me that Adobe hasn't found a user-friendly way to just make it easily shareable. Or that they did find a way and then abandoned it (Preset Syncing) and whatever this non-existent  "Export/Import Presets" command was supposed to do.

I mostly made this post because when I found that error in the help files it was my hope that Adobe had solved the problem in some new creative cloud way rather than just abandoned yet another solution. Foolish hope on my part.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 18, 2024 Sep 18, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome @nealbridgens

I also used and loved Creative Cloud Synced files and was sorry to see it removed. Now I'm using DropBox and/or WeTransfer. Here is the Help file from Adobe:

https://helpx.adobe.com/uk/creative-cloud/kb/eol-creative-cloud-synced-files.html

I've enabled "Show Hidden Files" on the first day every time I get a new Mac, which is why I couldn't remember with certainty if this particular library was hidden. Apple is the one who decided to hide these files, and my guess is that they need to be hidden from users who are not tech savvy. As I understand it, the OS wants certain files to be in certain places.

https://www.macworld.com/article/671158/how-to-show-hidden-files-on-a-mac.html

"It bothers me that Adobe hasn't found a user-friendly way to just make it easily shareable"

How do you envision this?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Sep 25, 2024 Sep 25, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Well, I'll be damned...

temp.jpg

Admitidly it's from InDesign, but a win is a win..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines