Exit

ExtendScript Toolkit Very Slow

Participant ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Mac OSX 10.14, Photoshop Cc2019 and ExtendScript Toolkit

Screenshot 2018-10-21 at 11.09.30.jpg

When trying to debug a script by adding break points, ExtendScript Toolkit is very slow and I keep getting long durations of the MAC Beach Ball. is there any fix for this or an alternative to ExtendScript Toolkit which talk directly to Photoshop and allow debugging.

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2018 Oct 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed the same script ran from ESTK is much slower thn directly from Photoshop. Especially when there are loops. Each another loop by Photoshop has the same speed while by ESTK each another is remarkably slower than previous one.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think that it is the default speed 😄

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2018 Oct 25, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've also noticed a drop lately, even before updating to 20. I've started using atom haha

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 24, 2018 Nov 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<I think I figured it out. 'Get Info' on ESTK and make sure 'Prevent App Nap' box is checked.>

UPDATE: I was wrong. It is still slow as described. I was just disconnected from the host app, which is what slows it down. If the link is broken it works fine. Linked up, ESTK is basically unusable. I type a quarter line of code, then the beach ball for 5 seconds, repeat forever...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 25, 2019 May 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes it is a problem with the timeout in 11BTBackend.jsx that causes the problem; for me, the fix was to do this other fix already mentioned in another post on forums:

Cannot execute script in target engine 'main'! (#1116) Can't start debug session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 11, 2019 Oct 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I found that even after disabling App Nap for ExtendScript Toolkit, the software would still hang.

Looking at Activity Monitor I noticed that Illustrator (in my use case) was being set to nap while I was using developing in ESTK.

macOS Mojave didn't give me the option to disable App Nap for Illustrator, so I tried disabling App Nap globally (see instructions here: https://www.lifewire.com/control-how-mac-applications-use-app-nap-2260788).

After a system reboot I've not had any disruption yet - ESTK is running much more smoothly than before.

Perhaps you could disalble App Nap for Photoshop or globally? Especially if ESTK is relying on an active connection with the Photoshop or other software during script development, as the other napping software may be impacting on ESTK performance.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines