• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Eyedropper tool sample ring stays on screen even after cursor is moved away

Explorer ,
Mar 01, 2023 Mar 01, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2023 on M2 mac mini - have noticed the eyedropper sample ring will randomly stay in place on screen even after I move the cursor away.

The only ways I've been able to make it dissapear again so far have been to either keep clicking with the eyedropper a few times or start using another tool.  Obviously this can be awkward if it's right where I need to paint etc!

No change since latest update installed today.

Thanks in advance

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Arty Greg trt resetting your PS Preferences.

Go to Photoshop/Preferences/General and click the reset button.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, reset preferences as per your instructions and restarted my mac for good measure ... sadly no difference.  My very first click with the eyedropper and it did the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long shot - but try going to Apple System Preferences/Security and Privacy and make sure PS is listed and active on Fulll Disk Access. Also check Screen Recording in the list.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arty Greg 

Another long shot: does pressing Escape or switching tools make it go away?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, checked System Preferences and Photoshop was listed but not active... activated it but again no difference so far... Photoshop not listed in Screen recording.

Thanks Jane, good idea but sadly no ... I did notice that despite most tools selected in the sidebar made no difference, every time so far without fail clicking the move tool in the side bar does make it go.  More disrupting to work flow than clicking the eyedropper a few more times or making a brushstroke and undoing that etc but interesting!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arty Greg 

Can you also try zooming in and out to see if refreshing your screen make it go away? Try Cmd + followed by Cmd - , for instance.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI @Arty Greg try going to Photoshop Preferneces/Tools and uncheck "Spring loaded tool shortcut".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok just thought - yes moving my cursor all the way over to select move tool is awkward but tried and the keyboard shortcut of pressing 'V' also works! As I'm mostly using the Brush tool it does mean I can simply tap V then B ... still annoying but reduces clicks somewhat.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, tested spring loaded tools option and unfortunately no difference.

Thanks Jane, yes zooming or scrolling does make it go away but awkward to my workflow.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Arty Greg 

I'm glad changing tools works for you in the interim.

The zooming in and out was to test to see if a refresh would work (or not). In the old days, we call it "ink blots" with stuff was left on the screen that wasn't really there. It could possibly be an issue with your monitor or video driver.

Apple sends out updates to drivers in their OS updates. What version of macOS do you have and are there any updates to your current version that are waiting?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes deffinitely seems to be something with Photoshop refreshing on this new Mac (M2 Mini running latest Ventura - no updates waiting).  I have an Eizo monitor so good quality ... Photoshop CC2023 is the only App where I get this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Arty Greg other M2 users have noted issues where they used Rosetta 2 mode to resolve. Can you try launching PS in Rosetta and see if the error occurs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2023 Mar 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Kevin, tried setting PS to open using Rosetta and again the issue persists ... I did however find possibly the shortest workaround possible... if I simply hold the mouse click or press of the pen when using the eyedropper for a little longer it has yet to leave the sample ring on screen after I release the mouse or pen... if I click or tap with the pen quickly it happens more often the faster I am with it...?

Jane - just to note I do realise no matter the 'quality' of my screen that doesn't rule out incompatibilities ... just makes it more expensive to replace with similar!  I'll pay close attention to see if any other situations arise in different software but as yet I haven't been aware of anything like this happening other than in PS with the eyedropper sample ring.  Which I'm using a lot in a large project for a client right now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jane -

...as yet I haven't been aware of anything like this happening other than in PS with the eyedropper sample ring. 

By @Arty Greg

It's the first time we've seen the issue posted here as well.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's the first time we've seen the issue posted here as well.

Jane

By @jane-e

Certainly perplexing ... hopefully a solution will present itself at some point. I'll be sure to update here if I find out what's causing it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, @Arty Greg, and we'll keep an eye out, too!

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait @Arty Greg you have a pen tablet? What happens if you disconnect it from the computer and use just the mouse? Does the same behavior occur?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aha good idea Kevin!... but no difference.  That felt like it could have been it as my tablet is quite old at this point and you remended me it's not officially supported on this latest Mac OS ... it does seem to work without issue but still it's awkward little quirks like this I'd expect but alas no difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem as Arty Greg and sadly haven't found a workaround. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ash,  Goodness I am now incredibly annoyed with myself as I no longer have the issue... yet can't for the life of me remember when or how I fixed it!  Which version of Photoshop are you running?  I am currently not on the latest version as I upgraded and it had a bug where the colour palette itself doesn't update after using the eyedropper (despite the new colour applying to the brush and the colour wheel no longer sticking in place)... so downgraded back to Photoshop 2024 version 25.0.0 ... for me this version is stable without any obvious bugs and not had an issue with the colour wheel sticking at all (using Photoshop for many hours every day)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 21, 2024 Jan 21, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Quick update in case anyone reads this - current version of Photoshop (25.3.1) no longer has either of the colour pallette or eyedropper issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines