• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Faking A Metallic Look

Explorer ,
Sep 07, 2022 Sep 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible to render the dark gray portion of the image below to imitate a metallic look in PS? I learned my chops in the 3D world and totally suck at digital painting. So, here I am, learning. Dabbling.

Castamere.jpg

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This can easily be done with layer styles. It would help if the gray area were on its own layer. Google "Photoshop Layer Styles Metal" and all kinds of free ones come up:

https://creativevore.com/freebies/free-photoshop-styles/ 

ADOBE-FORUM--METAL.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here, I isolated the gray part with the magic wand tool and added a metal layer style to it, then merged them:

-EDIT:

-Select gray area with the Magic Wand Tool

-Layer>New Layer

-Edit>Fill>Foreground Color (after you've made gray your Foreground Color)

-Apply Style to the New Layer.

ADOBE-METAL-0.jpg

ADOBE-METAL.jpgADOBE-METAL-2.jpgADOBE-METAL-3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can make a fake metalic look by finding out readymade links on royality free photos on illustration or photoshop if you have illustrator it will work well then you may move it to photoshop. I was designing body of car's wheel in illustrator and I wanted to export it in jpeg, which was not possible so I moved it to photoshop and did it and it gave amazing tire look which was totally metalic look.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This graphic looks like an illustration (vector) instead of a photograph (raster). As such, Illustrator would be the better tool here. 

You can give shapes a metalic finish with strategic application of highlights, shadows, grain and gradients.  As with painting & drawing, it's critical to identify the source and angle of  light first.

Nancy O'Shea— Product User, Community Expert & Moderator
Alt-Web Design & Publishing ~ Web : Print : Graphics : Media

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's what I'm talking about, Leslie. I'll get to work on it.

The image was scanned from one of those "adult" coloring books, in this case, from Game of Thrones. I "placed" it, and then traced over it from a blank layer. Strictly a bitmap. I wanted to use Illustrator but had problems defining shapes and outlines.

@nancy: I used reflection maps in 3D apps to achieve a metallic look. I didn't know if Photoshop could pull it off. But I've got enough gold from the forum help to do a better job.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Sep 08, 2022 Sep 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

After masking, try a combination of a chrome effect layer style (found in legacy styles)  and then adjust the result with a fairly aggresive curve set to luminosity to enhance the metallic effect

2022-09-08_20-08-25.jpg

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines