Family Photo restoration

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there

I am trying to restore an old family photo, that has been very badly sun-damaged.  I am really struggling with this section here the most.  Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated!  

This first image is how the original image scanned up.familyportraitoriginal.jpg

This second image is how it has come up after just doing an auto tone and auto colour.  If I adjust levels or curves, hue/saturation then I end up in all sorts of trouble with the different levels of sun damage.  

family portrait.jpg

I guess my real question is... how to do I sort all the different levels of sun damage??  

TIA

Sarah 

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Community Professional ,
Mar 28, 2022 Mar 28, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi!

Do you want to keep it a color image? You might get a better result if you turn it to black and white first, and then you can make the corrections, You can then either colorize the photo or turn it into a sepia tone.

Screen Shot 2022-03-28 at 9.54.44 PM.png

I used a Hue/Saturation Adjustment Layer and took the color saturation all the way down. Then I used a Levels Adjustment Layer and moved the sliders into the edges of the Histogram. (see image above). This will even out your tone and give you beter highlights and shadows.

Then you can make your retouching corrections and add color if you want.

If that isn't the kind of instruction/help you needed, give us a little more information on what you are looking to change.

Michelle

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines