• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

File icons, not application icons

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2017 Oct 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just updated CC to the 2018 version today and it messed up my files. I was able to point each file type to 'open with' to make sure each program opened the proper files, but some of the files on my desktop/in folders show a different icon than others. While the programs themselves work, it is bothersome to me to see the icons look so different and improper. Below is a screenshot of two different icons. The Illustrator file is correct while the Photoshop file is not. I am having trouble with both Photoshop and Premiere Pro icons. I know this isn't a critical issue, but it is visually distracting for the file icons to not look uniform. Please help!

Ai_correct-icon.png PS_incorrect-icon.png

On a side note, why do the major CC update ALWAYS mess up my files?! I'm tired of redirecting the programs and renaming the original source files in order for the programs to work!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

This is an ancient problem that I frankly thought was fixed by now. It is caused/triggered by uninstalling a previous version after the new version is installed. Unfortunately, the CC installer still does this by default.

What apparently happens is that the uninstall globally changes some registry settings, so that instead of pointing to the new version, they are left orphaned, pointing to a version no longer installed.

A full uninstall/reinstall of CC2018 should re-establish the correct registry

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

google: <your os> repair icons

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moving to Photoshop General Discussion​

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

I had this problem too. Try changing the default application for PSD Files in Windows settings to something like Illustrator. The icons should change the to Illustrator application icon. Then change the default application to Photoshop again. This should revert the icons to the file icons as needed instead of the application icons. This method worked for me.

Hope it helps

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is an ancient problem that I frankly thought was fixed by now. It is caused/triggered by uninstalling a previous version after the new version is installed. Unfortunately, the CC installer still does this by default.

What apparently happens is that the uninstall globally changes some registry settings, so that instead of pointing to the new version, they are left orphaned, pointing to a version no longer installed.

A full uninstall/reinstall of CC2018 should re-establish the correct registry settings.

For the future, there is an "advanced options" rolldown in the installer, and here you can uncheck "remove old versions". But few people notice that. If you do wish to remove the old versions, do that before running the installer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 28, 2018 May 28, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

okay but is this gonna effact the way it works ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jan 18, 2021 Jan 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

there is a simpler way:

download app: Default Programs Editor
1.  File Type Settings

2. Icon

3. Search for .psd

4. Browse to for example:C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop CS5 (64 Bit)\Photoshop.exe

5. Choose the icon you want

6. Click Apply

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 14, 2022 Apr 14, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Here you go:
Tool:

https://www.nirsoft.net/utils/file_types_manager.html

Steps:
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/12383/change-a-file-types-icon-in-windows-7/#:~:text=Right%20click%2....

It happens to all Adobe apps when you install/uninstall a newer version. Follow the steps properly and you'll fix it without even restarting the OS nor File Explorer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines