• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Filter Gallery turns my images black

New Here ,
Apr 06, 2023 Apr 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use Photoshop on my Mac OS and am pretty new to all of it. However, today my Photoshop Filter Gallery keeps bugging out everytime I use it on an image. It turn the entire image black no matter how much I adjust it! The strangest part too is that "Note Paper," Chalk and Charcoal," "Chrome," and "Water Paper" work just fine. I'm currently up to date on 24.3.0, and have my image mode set to 8 bit RGB. Any idea what could be wrong?

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post screenshot of entire Filter Gallery window so we can see what is going on?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dylan, when you open up Filter Gallery do you have more than one filter layout turned on? This used to happen to me with solarise and poster edges filter combined together, but I found I had to delete the second filter on the right hand side under the properties, until you only have one filter layer viewing. Then when you click on different filters, the image should technically change. If it's something else - then it could be a computer settings issue and that would be out of my field but I would definitely try uninstalling and re-installing the app or/ uninstalling the older ones they tend to keep on your computer if you have updated.Screenshot - Adobe Community - Photoshop 001.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 07, 2023 Apr 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Dylan29290159r4pz can you show a snapshot of your foreground/background colors? Try hitting D for default to reset to black and white and try the filters again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

this just happened to me! I was using photoshop yesterday and had no issues, and i just openned the project up and the filters made the image black

image_2023-06-02_192204827.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 02, 2023 Jun 02, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Mikka24771788ac5i 

Did you read the earlier posts and see the one from Kevin in early April to type "D" first? Let us know if that helps. If not, show your entire screen, including the Tools and Layers panels.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Sep 06, 2023 Sep 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you fix it ?? and how? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing this problem. Please help with an effective fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Robert E.5F86 

Type D first, then apply the filter.

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is the function of D? It worked for me. But curious what D is.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@KidNasEasy 

Kevin explained the "D" shortcut in the third reply, so I had not repeated it later. It is the shortcut to reset the Foreground and Background swatches (bottom of the Tools panel) to their defaults of pure black and pure white. There is also a widget in the upper left of the two swatches that will reset them and another in the lower right to switch them ("X").

The Filter Gallery uses the Foreground and Background colors for most of the filters. The OP said the Filter Gallery turned their image black, so that meant that both swatches were black. You don't have to use b&w, though, you could use red and green or teal and plum. If both swatches are identical, the image will turn into a solid color when the filter is applied.

Does this answer your question?

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked instantly. Thank you, Jane!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome @Robert E.5F86 , I'm glad it's working for you now 😊

Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines