• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Flatten, why do I have to flatten jpgs NOW to save them?

Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2020 Jan 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok I open up a jpg, do some simple editing (crop, darken, lighten) and then when I click to save, a dialog box opens (windows explorer) and asks me to save as a .psd and shows some very strange jpg extensions too. So for me to save as a .jpg,  I have to flatten it then save it as a jpg. that has never happened before. I know that when I am working in layers I have to flatten but not for a normal image, what is going on? Is this a glitch in my system or a software issue? I also import the images from Lightroom as .NEF and then export to Photoshop (PS) as jpg.

I have been using PS since 1995 so I am experianced with the software, I have updated PS also. This is crazy, on the early verison of PS, everything works fine. I also open other images and do not have this issue, starting to think it might be a media card issue. If there is any help or advice please share. 

(update) I added a link to the video please view and you will understand.

PS version: 21.0.02

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 16, 2020 Jan 16, 2020

»Delete Cropped Pixels« seems to be unchecked in the Options Bar for the Crop Tool. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 20, 2021 May 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@rts2594 wrote:

Not true.

In the past, I've been able to have a psd file open, click Save As and was able to save as a jpg and PS would flatten it automatically. Now, I have to flatten it first, or click Save a Copy.

I think it's a case of they fixed something that wasn't broken.

They fixed something that was broken, but perhaps not for you. What was broken is what happened if you tried to overwrite an existing JPEG file in that situation, and are using MacOS Catalina or later. There is a very long thread in the feedback forum about that bug, and Adobe had to do something. Maybe they could have found a better way, but that is another matter...

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe over reactive to a Change Apple made to their latest OS version.  Thankfully Adobe did not brake all of Save As Photoshop  Scripting Save As with Jpeg save option still works.   Mac users may still has problems overwritting Jpeg Files  Windows user sould not have any problem.  You can use the Image Processor or Image processor Pro Plug-in Scripts to save  your  jpeg.  If the ouput jpeg file exists these script are better than Apple's code.  They will save a new version of your jpeg. You can has as may version as you need.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All that's happened is that Save a Copy has been moved from being a checkbox in the Save As dialog box (activated automatically if you chose a format like JPEG from a document that been edited in a way that's not supported with the JPEG file format - like adding Layers or Channels) to the File pulldown menu.  So, instead of using File > Save As we now use File > Save a Copy.  

When we choose JPEG in the Save a Copy dialog box, the Layers check box will dim just like it used in the Save As dialog box and our JPEG can be saved just as before.

I'm not sure when it was added, but I'm running Photoshop 22.4.0 and there's a "Save a Copy..." button to the right of the Format pop-up menu, allowing us to still use File > Save As to get to Save a Copy.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually you can still use  Save As to save a flat image file format  from a layered document using a Photoshop script document savsAs method. That is easy to see just try this script "SaveDesktopJpeg.jsx"  with a layered document open in Photoshop run the script.

var Name = activeDocument.name;
var jpegfile =  new File('~/Desktop/' + Name);
SaveAsJPEG(jpegfile, 10);
function SaveAsJPEG(saveFile, jpegQuality){
	var doc = activeDocument;
	if (doc.bitsPerChannel != BitsPerChannelType.EIGHT) doc.bitsPerChannel = BitsPerChannelType.EIGHT;
	jpgSaveOptions = new JPEGSaveOptions();
	jpgSaveOptions.embedColorProfile = true;
	jpgSaveOptions.formatOptions = FormatOptions.STANDARDBASELINE;
	jpgSaveOptions.matte = MatteType.NONE;
	jpgSaveOptions.quality = jpegQuality;
	activeDocument.saveAs(File(saveFile+".jpg"), jpgSaveOptions, true,Extension.LOWERCASE);
}

A new mac may add a " copy" to  the file name if there is jpeg on your desktop that had the document  name as the jpeg file name.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@JJMack wrote:

A new mac may add a " copy" to  the file name if there is jpeg on your desktop that had the document  name as the jpeg file name.

Unfortunately, that is exactly the bug that Adobe needed to fix. When an existing jpeg with the same name exists, Photoshop would ask permission to overwrite that file, but then create a new file with 'copy' added to the name.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
May 21, 2021 May 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe Save As UI did ask on Windows. That is how window work, Apple change their latest  OS to write a new file with copy version forces version's onto their users. Apple it seem  does not seen the allow file editing and replacement in their latest OS. Apple  forces version's  on Mac users.  Now Adobe forcing version's  onto old Mac OS users and all PC.   Use want to be able to update their existing files and not have to got out of their way the override Adobe and Apple forced versions.  Why make version's  the default normal operation.  Users are not maintaining an OS or a Photoshop application.  They are working on an image and are use to saving often they do not want their storage saturated with version they will never use.   Forces version's is bad news and a wast of storage.  All users that want force version's chime in please.

image.png

The last  version 3  is the only version that I will use. So now I need to delete all the other versions to maintain my storage and rename the version to its proper name.....

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
May 22, 2021 May 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

QUESTION: In the very recent past, I was able to click "Save As" and was able to choose JPG. My issue is when I add my watermark to the photo: it will it not let me save the photo to JPG - the choice of file type is either PSD, PSB or TIFF. Is a watermark a layer? (you can probably tell I'm somewhat new at this!) What is it about the watermark - I'm guessing it's not "supported". Thanks for your patience. I realize I may not have a choice here. I agree with rts2594 that they fixed something that wasn't broken.  D

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Preferences -> File Handling check the box that says 'Use Legacy Save As' Prefernces.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ENABLE Legacy Save As

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bless you!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Whay on earth they had to do away with that is beyond me. Talk about making things more time consuming. Let's hope they don't remove the legacy check box, otherwise you end up with a possibility of losing s layered file because you have to flatten it first. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Juicy Designs Creative wrote:

Thanks. Whay on earth they had to do away with that is beyond me. Talk about making things more time consuming. Let's hope they don't remove the legacy check box, otherwise you end up with a possibility of losing s layered file because you have to flatten it first. 

There was a technical reason why they had to do it, which has been explained in this forum and in the feedback forum many times.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines