• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Fonts Not Available in Photoshop CS3 (Windows 7)?

Explorer ,
Feb 09, 2010 Feb 09, 2010

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My desktop computer crashed yesterday and I had to run out last night and pick up a new unit as I'm trying to meet a number of deadlines (and not having much luck getting the work done in my laptop).

The new computer uses Windows 7 as the Operating System.  It has already presented a ton of headaches... I've already spent in excess of ten hours trying to reinstall hardware and dealing with the various quirks that arise.

The latest of these issues is that I cannot seem to access some fonts from Photoshop CS3.  I'm having the same issue, to a lesser extent, in Illustrator 10.

For instance, after downloading the Helvetica and Helvetica Neue families in Windows 7, they do not appear in the Type menu in Photoshop.  There are a ton of useless pre-installed fonts there, but not the ones I installed.  If I try to access them from Illustrator, it displays only one weight of each typeface (for instance, it displays Helvetica Neue 65 but omits 55, 75, 95, etc....).

The issue does not occur for all fonts.  For instance, I installed AvantGarde and it displays just fine.  In that instance, the fonts were TrueType whereas the Helvetica font files are Type 1 font files.

Can anyone help?  I've already lost a day-and-a-half of work, and can't afford to spend much more time screwing around with this nonsense.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Deleted User

It may be the way the fonts are displaying.

Are they available to programs like Word or Wordpad or Notepad?

Are they present as files in the Windows\ Fonts folder?

Did you install them via the Control Panel?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now I just need to figure out if I can set up folders for each font family within that folder (e.g. "Helvetica," "Helvetica Neue," etc...) or if I have to just dump them all in there.  Hope this workaround doesn't screw with my system stabillity.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: Thanks to everyone who volunteered their time to help me diagnose and address this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

mlittle1105 wrote:

PS: Thanks to everyone who volunteered their time to help me diagnose and address this issue.

And thank you for reporting back with the answer.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 04, 2011 Sep 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm here in September 2011 just to add one detail: Drag ALL your files -- the .afm, .pfb, .pfm -- into the "Fonts" folder named above. Don't go into the "Reqrd" folder you will see within the "Fonts" folder and don't create your own subfolders.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 12, 2011 Sep 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Capture.JPG

Thank you! This worked for me - Helvetica Neue, Win 7 Pro 64-bit, CS4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 13, 2011 Dec 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Isn't there a better solution to this problem?

I manage my fonts through Extensis Suitcase Fusion and they appear fine in InDesign, for example, but not in Photoshop.

I really don't want to manually copy all my fonts to that folder because that defeats the benefits of using a font manager in the first place, which is keeping only the necessary fonts to do a certain work active at any given time.

So, any other workarounds for this issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines