• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Force re-rendering of smart filters

Community Beginner ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When working with smart objects and filters, Photoshop renders the layer data produced by the filter once and then uses the result for further processing. However, for some geometric filters (e.g. Polar Coordinates or Perspective Warp), the results of the filter pass would be different, given a different x/y displacement or canvas size. Sometimes results are not rendered at all outside the current canvas, so when moving the layer data, artefacts or empty areas might come into view.

Is there some prefered way (e.g. a shortcut or a script command) to force re-render of all or selected smart filters in a smart object layer to fill those areas with properly filtered data?

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 25, 2021 Nov 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

cmd-T, enter would seem like an option, doubleclicking any Smart Filter and hitting OK another. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Nov 26, 2021 Nov 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for the answer. I should have been more clear. What you suggest, is exactly what I'm doing right now. However, I would like to to just re-render all (selected) layers without revisiting any input or preview windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you give a sequence of actions and a screenshot explaining your problem using the example of PolarCoordinates? I cannot reproduce the bug.

In order to recalculate the filter, it is enough to turn it off and on.

Code for one filter with index 1.

var d = new ActionDescriptor();
var r = new ActionReference();
r.putIndex(stringIDToTypeID("filterFX"), 1);
r.putEnumerated(stringIDToTypeID("layer"), stringIDToTypeID("ordinal"), stringIDToTypeID("targetEnum"));
d.putReference(stringIDToTypeID("null"), r);
executeAction(stringIDToTypeID("hide"), d, DialogModes.NO);
executeAction(stringIDToTypeID("show"), d, DialogModes.NO);

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did not want to imply, that there was a bug in PolarCoordinates, I think this is expected behavior. The source of the problem might have even been with the rendering of another geometric smart filter in the processing chain. I've attached a visualization of the problem with the Perspective Warp filter. It shows

1) The original application of the warp.

2) Changing the x/y translation and thereby moving the layer data towards the top left corner. Note the  "empty", "unrendered" area on the bottom right.

3) Result after turing the filter off and on again. This solution seems to work for a single filter only. Turning the "Smart Filters" entry off and on again didn't have an effect. 
I was hoping for some kind of  built in "re-render" or "refresh" command, but solving it with a script using the "off/on" approach works as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is such a bug / feature in Photoshop (I don’t know how in the latest version, I can’t check it). If you change the resolution of a file without resampling (as before, some tried to zoom the document in this way), then in this case all smart filters were recalculated. This greatly slowed down the process.

You can change the resolution (without rasampling) to some, and then return it back. All smart filters will be updated (twice).

I think so. Check ....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does this help? 

// force redraw of smart filters;
// 2021, use it at your own risk;
if (app.documents.length > 0) {
var theSmartObjects = collectFilteredSmartObjects ();
for (var m = 0; m < theSmartObjects.length; m++) {
    var desc10 = new ActionDescriptor();
		var ref6 = new ActionReference();
		ref6.putIdentifier( charIDToTypeID( "Lyr " ), theSmartObjects[m][1] );
    desc10.putReference( charIDToTypeID( "null" ), ref6 );
    desc10.putEnumerated(charIDToTypeID( "FTcs" ), charIDToTypeID( "QCSt" ), charIDToTypeID( "Qcsa" ));
    var idOfst = charIDToTypeID( "Ofst" );
        var desc11 = new ActionDescriptor();
        var idPxl = charIDToTypeID( "#Pxl" );
        desc11.putUnitDouble( charIDToTypeID( "Hrzn" ), idPxl, 0 );
        desc11.putUnitDouble( charIDToTypeID( "Vrtc" ), idPxl, 0 );
    desc10.putObject( idOfst, idOfst, desc11 );
executeAction( charIDToTypeID( "Trnf" ), desc10, DialogModes.NO );
};
};
////////////////////////////////////
////// collect smart objects with a smart filter, probably based on code by paul, mike or x //////
function collectFilteredSmartObjects () {
// the file;
var myDocument = app.activeDocument;
// get number of layers;
var ref = new ActionReference();
ref.putEnumerated( charIDToTypeID("Dcmn"), charIDToTypeID("Ordn"), charIDToTypeID("Trgt") ); 
var applicationDesc = executeActionGet(ref);
var theNumber = applicationDesc.getInteger(stringIDToTypeID("numberOfLayers"));
// process the layers;
var theLayers = new Array;
for (var m = 0; m <= theNumber; m++) {
try {
var ref = new ActionReference();
ref.putIndex( charIDToTypeID( "Lyr " ), m);
var layerDesc = executeActionGet(ref);
var layerSet = typeIDToStringID(layerDesc.getEnumerationValue(stringIDToTypeID("layerSection")));
var isBackground = layerDesc.getBoolean(stringIDToTypeID("background"));
// if not layer group collect values;
if (layerSet != "layerSectionEnd" && layerSet != "layerSectionStart" && isBackground != true) {
var theName = layerDesc.getString(stringIDToTypeID('name'));
var theID = layerDesc.getInteger(stringIDToTypeID('layerID'));
if(layerDesc.hasKey(stringIDToTypeID('smartObject'))) {
    var soDesc = layerDesc.getObjectValue(stringIDToTypeID('smartObject'));
// check if smart object has a smart filter;
    if (soDesc.hasKey(stringIDToTypeID('filterFX')) == true) {theLayers.push([theName, theID])};
}
};
}
catch (e) {};
};
return theLayers
};

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines