• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Frame animation not playing in photoshop + Export/render video hanging on loading box

Community Beginner ,
Apr 02, 2020 Apr 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, I’ve been having some trouble working with frame animations/gifs and video export in Photoshop for a couple weeks now.

I would usually design individual frames in Illustrator, then import them as layers into Photoshop, and make frames from layers.

• Issue 1, frame animations do not appear to play/preview within photoshop now, although the preview works within the ‘save for web/gif’ dialog. This is really frustrating for adjusting the timings of the animation.

As well as exporting gifs (through save for web), I also export an mp4 so clients can use these across the various social platforms.

• Issue 2, selecting export/render video no long works for me, it hangs on the loading box – I’ve left it for 5-10mins and nothing happens.

To make it crystal clear, I’ve attached a screen capture video below. The test file is 1500px square, and have tried importing jpgs and pngs. Have also tried resetting preferences.

I’m running Photoshop 2020 (v21.1.1), although Photoshop 2019 (v20.0.9) also now behaves the same. Mac OS Mojave 10.14.6

Interested to know if anyone else is having these issues. Whilst not the greatest of workflows, I’ve used this method for over a year for creating quick animated social assets without issue.

Let me know if I’m missing something obvious here + if anyone has alternative workflows (for this kind of job) that retains the design flexibility and export options would love to hear them.

Thanks
David

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

»The test file is 1500px square, and have tried importing jpgs and pngs.«

But in general you import layered psd exported from Illustrator? 

What else have you done for trouble-shooting so far? 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/kb/basic-trouble-shooting-steps.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does turning off »Use Graphics Processor« in the Performance Preferences (Photoshop > Preferences > Performance > Graphic Processor Settings) and restarting Photoshop have any bearing on the issue? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your replies, just tried the Graphics processor settings, made no difference.

I would usually export artboards from Illustrator as pngs or jpgs depending on the content, then import them into layers in photoshop (typically using bridge, although my example I opened the files as there wasn't many frames).

With the troubleshooting list,

Can't see any known issues
CC & apps are all up to date

Apple has a security&safari update, I'll be doing that ina sec

No plugins installed

We just tried turning off graphics processing

Haven't tried in safe mode yet, or looking at fonts.

Any particular one's you'd suggest that would be more likely to affect this issue?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2020 Apr 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, Did you reset your preferences?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you save the frame animation that does not play in photoshop as a psd and upload it and post a link to it. I can test to see if it play on a windows machine I see you are using some OSX version.  There seems to be many issues using PS with newer version of OSX.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sure thing, find in the link below. Fyi I'm running OSX Mojave, which is one behind the latest Catalina.

Cheers

https://we.tl/t-5S5QdimAEA

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I download your PSD had no problem with it. The Frame animation played in Photoshop and I was abe to save an animated gif and render out an MP4.  I thought I would have a problem  with the MP4 because of the frame 1500 pixel height. No problem though.

image.pngTest-Animation.gif

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, thanks for trying it out. 🙌

What would be your next steps in troubleshooting this, would this be the point to reinstall photoshop? 🤔

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I would search to see if other Mac users have your problem.  Make sure everything on your mac is correctly installed an working.  I do not know what you check on a Mac I use Windows 10. 

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines