• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generate Assets: Asset path is too long

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey, i can´t generate my PS assets since the last update. The reasen in the error.txt show that the "Asset path is too long" - WHY??

I need this option in my workflow!

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Beginner , Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

I found out that the error is with Onedrive

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, how many characters in the path + filename + extension?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why is there a limit for the characters in the path? My shortest path is 36 characters long (path + filename + extension). What is the reason behind to limit it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found out that the error is with Onedrive

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not technically the correct answer though it's being indicated as such. The correct answer would be related to fact that Adobe Photoshop's Image Generator conforms to an arguably outdated max asset path of 255 characters and the author's OneDrive path (visible via right-click "Get Info" [MacOS] or "Properties" [Windows]) likely caused the destination to exceed that limit. OneDrive would not be in error or at fault for Adobe's plugin character limit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 05, 2024 Apr 05, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Funny, I hadn't looked at the O.G. ticket closely enough to notice that, you're 100% right. In my case, I'm using Google Drive, not OneDrive. The error is Adobe's outdated limitation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2022 Jul 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been having this issue as well, opening a Photoshop document from Google Drive Desktop. It's 227 characters in the path with the filename and extension -- I assume that regardless of if it's on a server or a local drive a long path over a certain amount will cause this. Seems like it could be easily fixed. It'd be LOVELY if it could be fixed, because working from Google Drive remotely has become part of our workflow, and this really throws a monkey wrench into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 16, 2023 Mar 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm still seeing this in 2023. It's puzzling because I have multiple PSD in the same location and some give me the error while others don't. So while it might be an issue with file system depth, there's still some weirdness going on. For the record the output/export asset file names are only 16 characters in my case. I agree that this needs to be resolved as cloud-based directories are integral to many if not most workflows these days. 

Workaround: Use the manual method of right-click asset > Quick Export as [type]

The workaround handles multiple asset selection at once, which is handy and quick. And of course it doesn't bark about the asset path length. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to know there's a quickworkaround. I often setup photoshop documents with many Generate-exportable layers, so it's impractical for me, but good to use in a pinch. I hope Adobe keeps inproving Generate. It often gets stuck, doesn't export certain layers, and/or throws errors until Photoshop is completely restarted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So; I had the same issue and it was related to the parent folder name containing the PSD file was too long. As soon as I moved the PSD file out of the parent folder and tried again generating assets worked as expected. Hope this helps. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2023 Sep 20, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, what a dumb and probably easily fixable bug. 😕 The path to the file should be pretty much irrelevant here since the PSD and exports are relatively right beside one another. I realize that Adobe has kind of "moved on" from this feature, but it's a great feature that doesn't have a better equivalent in some contexts. Come on, Adobe, fix this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd like to know more about this. 

Is it this you're reffering to? https://longpathtool.com/
I'd like to use it but it looks like it's an 'unidentified developer' on macOS. The paid version is $60 personal / $120 commercial, so I'd have to be really using this to make it worth it. So, it's interesting, and would like to hear more from those that have used it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 03, 2024 Apr 03, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah exactly, I am talking about it. I am always here to help, tell me what do you want to know? It is easy to use. The website has everything you want to know. But you still need help, I am always here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It seems like you are a freshly created account, promoting software. I'll pass.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 06, 2024 Apr 06, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make your life easier and download Long Path Tool to tackle these problems. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 08, 2024 Apr 08, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Another new account with zero history promoting software.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines