Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

GENERATING ASSET WITH "COMA" IN NAMING

Explorer ,
Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I need to generate many assets from the artboards. All of them works ok, but one asset name contains coma

and photoshop interprets it as a separate asset. How can I generate asset with the coma in naming?

Asset name: _4320x1300]_LAN-es-ES_PUR-[logo,applelogo].png

It is generated as: applelogo].png   

Thanks in advance for any answers or clues 🙂

Oliwia

TOPICS
Actions and scripting , macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

People's Champ , Mar 28, 2024 Mar 28, 2024

I don't know if the problem was solved or not. I don't use this at all. But those who like to experiment can try to correct the code. Here is an example for PS2020.

rbin_0-1711671222500.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
People's Champ , Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

I don’t know who marked my answer as a solution, which it is not.

But there is still a solution!

Tested for PS2020.

To separate names, you can still use the “+” symbol. The comma is now a part name.

You need to find two parser.js files

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Required\Plug-ins\Generator\assets.generate\lib\parser.js
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Required\Plug-ins\Generator\crema.generate\node_modules\generator-assets\lib\parser.js

And in them, find and replace

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you using Generate Image Assets, or are you using Quick Export /Export As?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using Generate  - as it has to be as quick as possible, because there is hundreds of files me and my coworkers we have to work on...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd suggest that you use another unique special character that is supported and then batch rename replace afterwards using one of many possible methods.

If this is a "reserved character" for asset generation there may be nothing that you can do except work within the framework.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot use another name, as these assets goes to another program with exactly this naming, so I cannot change anything about it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot use another name, as these assets goes to another program with exactly this naming, so I cannot change anything about it...

By @Oliwia_tamalesamigos

At the risk of repeating myself...

If this is a "reserved character" for asset generation there may be nothing that you can do except work within the framework, reluctantly accepting that the input filename can't use a comma.

I'd suggest that you use another "temporary" unique special character that is supported and then batch rename replace afterwards using one of many possible methods (OS level script or automated feature, Adobe script, Adobe Bridge etc).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but this is exactly what I am trying to avoid. I mean, probably I will end up doing this, but I hoped that there is a way to export all kind of names in photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://github.com/adobe-photoshop/generator-assets/wiki/Generate-Image-Assets-Functional-Spec#exhau...

• Layer 1.png,Layer 2.jpg (Comma as separator)
  • Layer 1.png, Layer 2.jpg (Comma followed by space(s) as separator)

It's a reserved character.

Unless you can change this in an underlying Generator system file, you are stuck with this behaviour.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is why we have put it in brackets, so that it is understood as a name, not a file. 

_4320x1300]_LAN-es-ES_PUR-[logo,applelogo].png

But seems like that doesn't work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a nice idea, however, I don't see anything in the example filenames that indicates that things are intended to work this way. You can't just make things up, you have to work within the programming framework.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So I guess I haven't learned anything that I wouldn't know in the first place. Thanks for help anyway.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is why we have put it in brackets, so that it is understood as a name, not a file. 

_4320x1300]_LAN-es-ES_PUR-[logo,applelogo].png

Could you please post a link to the page of the documentation where this is mentioned? 

Edit: It seems square brackets have a different purpose than what you are trying to use them for. 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/generate-assets-layers.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The thing is that the other program uses the brackets, so the naming was provided from other team, that does not use Phostoshop. When we checked it we thought (without any links or documentation) that brackets will be understood by photoshop as a unbreakable naming. But it is not apparently. So wherever you put comma, the photoshop will separate it and it seems like there is no way to avoid it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Quote from 

https://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/using/generate-assets-layers.html

To generate multiple assets from a layer/layer group, separate the asset names with commas.

So, as @Stephen_A_Marsh already mentioned, comma has a specific function and the documentation seems to be clear on this. 

Square brackets also appear to serve a specific purpose and what significance some unspecified other application assigns them is not relevant for Photoshop. 

What is the actual process you are trying to automate? Please post meaningful screenshots to illustrate. 

Maybe a custom Script (possibly in conjunction with Script Events Manager) can help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if the problem was solved or not. I don't use this at all. But those who like to experiment can try to correct the code. Here is an example for PS2020.

rbin_0-1711671222500.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Excellent work @r-bin – that’s exactly what I was looking for when I wrote "Unless you can change this in an underlying Generator system file, you are stuck with this behaviour"... but I didn't know where to find such a file!

Now I just need to find it on the Mac and test!

EDIT:

An example path from the Mac (one has to contextual click the app to "show package contents" to view the app as a folder):

/Applications/Adobe Photoshop 2024/Adobe Photoshop 2024.app/Contents/Required/Generator-builtin/lib/jsx/getLayerSVG.jsx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 29, 2024 Mar 29, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Neat! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is exactly what I was looking for 🙂 Thank you. The only problem that I have now is that I cannot override file "getLayerSVG.txt"  because I have no permission to do that . Whenever I try to save it the window with this information pops out. But this gets me much closer to the desired effect.  Thank you 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have any permissions errors (I am editing the file with Photoshop closed, then restarting Photoshop each time).

However, I have had no success, 2 separate JPG and PNG files are still generated with a comma separator such as:

test.jpg,test.png

var name = this.getLayerAttr("name").split("")[0];

var name = this.getLayerAttr("name");

EDIT: I just tried with SVG and the result is the same – 2 separate files, not 1 file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Probably the limitation is from my company. I'll check on that after eastern. Have you tried replacing the split command into for example "+"? 

2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just "shot in the dark". )

Perhaps this cannot be fixed in the code of these files. I can suggest searching for "," or ',' inside all of these files. If found, then try to understand what it is generally used for. But it’s easier to ask the coders from Adobe how to change the file name separator.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's just "shot in the dark". )

By @r-bin

I understand and it was worth a shot!

I'm not going to invest any more time in this when there is an  alternative solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
People's Champ ,
Mar 30, 2024 Mar 30, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t know who marked my answer as a solution, which it is not.

But there is still a solution!

Tested for PS2020.

To separate names, you can still use the “+” symbol. The comma is now a part name.

You need to find two parser.js files

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Required\Plug-ins\Generator\assets.generate\lib\parser.js
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Required\Plug-ins\Generator\crema.generate\node_modules\generator-assets\lib\parser.js

And in them, find and replace the sequence “+,” (plus and comma) with only one plus “+”

There are six substitutions in total. The original code fragments with "+," are shown here.

peg$c6 = /^[+,]/,
peg$c7 = { type: "class", value: "[+,]", description: "[+,]" },

peg$c85 = /^[^+,.\/\0-\x1F]/,
peg$c86 = { type: "class", value: "[^+,./\\0-\\x1F\\x7f]", description: "[^+,./\\0-\\x1F\\x7f]" },

You need to find the file layernames.pegjs

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Photoshop 2020\Required\Plug-ins\Generator\crema.generate\node_modules\generator-assets\etc\layernames.pegjs

And in it also replace “+,” with “+”

defaultspeclist "List of default specification components"
    = first:defaultspec [+,] rest:defaultspeclist {
        rest.unshift(first);
        return rest;
    }
    / only:defaultspec {
        return [only];
    }

speclist "List of layer specifications"
    = first:spec [+,] rest:speclist {
        rest.unshift(first); 
        return rest; 
    }
    / only:spec {
        return [only];
    }

goodchar "A character, excluding dots and other weird things"
    = [^+,./\0-\x1F\x7f]

And in one place replace ",+" with "+"

char "A character, including dots"
    = [^,+]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@r-bin thank you, for this! I am not a coder, so my way of thinking was heading this direction (shooting in dark probably) when I mentioned changing  ","  to "+" ,  but I didn't know where to search for that.

Unfortunatelly my company restricted any changes in Adobe program files, so I cannot apply this, but at least I know it is possible - I hope it will serve somebody with the same problem.  Thanks again!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 02, 2024 Apr 02, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

quotemy company restricted any changes in Adobe program files

By @Oliwia_tamalesamigos

So what will be your solution? It seems that you will have to exclude the comma from the layer names used by Generator and then batch rename the assets to include the comma afterwards.

There are multiple options, however, you're going to have to work within your company policies.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines