• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generating Normal Maps and bump maps are being discontinued

Community Beginner ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just read that you are going to start to phase out the photoshop 3D workspace... please leave generating bump maps and normal maps.

TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
LEGEND ,
Oct 03, 2021 Oct 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2021 Oct 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great reply..

Oh sorry that actually is a good thread. Thanks for this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Actually not a thread. I meant the linked article you find in a post I linked.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Generating 3D bump and normal maps uses the Open GL 3D engine that is being removed (after the deprecation of OpenGL/CL) , so that feature will go with the discontinuation of 3D in Photoshop.

If you need it , make sure you keep an older version alongside the future major version update.

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I guess there should be another way to create normal maps than just OpenGL library. It is a HUGE SHAME that we depend on other (quite often open source) tools to create normal maps leaving expensive adobe software useless just because the developers are too lazy to take care about user needs. What to say? I know a lot of people who already switched for competititon like Affinity.
Don't take it personally but OpenGL is nothing that very poor excuse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 08, 2023 Dec 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If u want to work with material composition assets with Photoshop, do it mannualy because Adobe will not support u! U need a Substance subscription to make simple tasks like this. I miss the time when Photoshop had all we need to solve digital image problems. Please, Adobe, charge me for extra specific niche features, but stop asking for me to install 300000 different softwares in my SSD! Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines