• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generative Fill is creating orphaned, unused jpegs in an obscure temp folder.

Participant ,
Nov 19, 2023 Nov 19, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Orphan jpegs started showing up in my C:\Users\"yourname"\AppData\Local\Temp\ folder on Windows 11 with new Photoshop version 25.1.0. Each jpeg is in a separate sub-folder with a meaningless folder name starting with a "dot".

I've determined that these are caused by using Generative Fill in Photoshop. When Photoshop saves a jpeg of a file that has had Gen Fill applied, a full copy of that jpeg goes in the \AppData\Local\Temp. This is after the file has been flattened and the Gen Fill layer is long gone. If the image is saved as Tif or PSD, no extra jpeg is saved. Only when saved as jpeg.

Nothing Adobe deletes those orphan jpegs. So they will accumulate and waste disk space, unless deleted manually. Deleting them causes no problems. Since the jpegs appear to serve no purpose I suspect this is a bug.

TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Nov 27, 2023 Nov 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @redcrown on guard, thanks for passing this along. I have these folders as well after using Generative Fill today and there aren't any JPGs in them. They are all empty folders. However, I exported from PSD to JPG and didn't save as JPGs, if that makes a difference. I wonder why there aren't similar folders for my sessions prior to November 24? I'll ask an Adobe engineer if they know what's going on and see if I can get some answers. 

JEL_0-1701102386340.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@redcrown on guard: Apparently this is fixed in the new release of Photoshop. Please check and let us know if that fixes it for you.

After deletion of temp folders and update to latest release I am not seeing that behavior with 25.2. Can you see if the problem persists after updating the app? Deletion of the temp files should not be a problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 28, 2023 Nov 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up. My Creative Cloud app won't give me an update yet. Probably a staggered release. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I finally got Photoshop 25.2 via CC (regular update, not Beta). Sadly, the issue of the temp folder jpegs remains. Same as described in my OP. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Nov 30, 2023 Nov 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@redcrown on guard, okay, I just tested this again, but I'm not getting the temp folders or JPGs in that directory with Photoshop 25.2.0 on Windows 10 after using Generative Fill. Other temp files are created, but they disappear after closing Photoshop. I manually deleted the three empty folders that were created with the previous version (as seen in my screenshot above). I'm not sure why you are still seeing them, but let's see if other people report the same. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 04, 2023 Dec 04, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a Dell XPS-13 Windows 10 tablet that I have not used for Photoshop for a long time. So I updated its Photoshop to version 25.2 and did some Generative Fill tests. I still got the ".tmp***" folders in my User/Temp directory, but they were empty. No orphaned jpegs there.

JEL says he gets no folders and no jpegs under Win10. I get folders but no jpegs under Win10. But I get folders AND jpegs under Win11. So, it appears to be a Win11 issue, and maybe half an issue on Win10. I imagine JEL and I have enough differences in our Win10 systems to account for that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 05, 2023 Dec 05, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I checked this again just now. I now have one new empty folder dated yesterday named .tmpCYwrwe. So, the issue isn't fully resolved yet. But there isn't any disk space being used. Still, they shouldn't be created and left hanging around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 06, 2023 Dec 06, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@redcrown on guard, update: this is being shared internally with Adobe, and they will give us an update soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2023 Dec 13, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Creative Cloud gave me an update to Photoshop V 25.3.1 today. So I saved jpegs from 6 different tif images that had Generative Fill applied. Got an orphaned jpeg in the temp folder for each one.

So... problem remains.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New releases today, Photoshop 25.3.1 and ACR 16.1.0.1728

Sadly, still no joy on the orphaned jpegs from Gen Filled images.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jan 27, 2024 Jan 27, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yet another new release Photoshop 25.4.0, still no joy on orphaned jpegs. No mention of that issue in any release notes or known bugs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines