Exit

Generative fill stopped working

Community Beginner ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe PS version 25.7.0

Mac OS Sonoma 14.4.1 - Macbook Pro 13 inch M1 2020

I was using generative fill to extend image backgrounds until recently. Now when I try, I get a vague error message. Here is my process:

I open an image that is 1000 px by 400 px, I want to extend it to 1200 px wide. I increase the canvas, select the area that does not contain an image and type "extend background" in the generative fill dialog (I have done this successfully many times over the last few months). The process runs and gets to about 85% done and this message pops up in a little orange box:

Screenshot 2024-05-07 at 9.36.48 AM.png

I did find that After Effects was cacheing a ton of old content, like 700 GBs. So my 1TB disk was close to full. I have cleared that out and have plenty of storage available now (822 GB free). Thanks for the consideration, Cheers! Clint

TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
May 07, 2024 May 07, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Have you tried maybe resetting Photoshop preferences?

Adobe Community Expert
Adobe Certified Professional

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2024 May 15, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you for the suggestion. I used the "reset preferences on quit" function in the settings general tab. After restarting PS the issue still remains.

Could this be a hardware resource issue? I noticed that my scratch disk was close to capacity due to caching in PS and After Effects. Once I cleared those caches, I freed up 600GBs on a 1TB drive. Clearing the cache fixed other performance issues I was having, but this generative fill issue persists. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines