• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Generator Documentation?

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wondering if we can get some ACTUAL documentation and maybe get a tutorial put together on some uses of it

(instead of the github linking to a tut that has to be "waybackmachined" to view it)

Thoughts?

I've gotten some stuff done with Gen but I feel there's a lot more there but since there's no real way to know what's there it's pretty frustrating...

TOPICS
Actions and scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2017 Jun 01, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/pdf/photoshop_reference.pdf

If you search the web there are some tutorial and Blog for Photoshop Generator.

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 02, 2017 Jun 02, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I searched quite a bit and there's a lot of not very useful stuff other than Tom K's blog posts which are offline and you have to use the waybackmachine to view.

I guess I should have specified (sorry), I'm looking for CODE documentation for Generator, not the few small "use generator to save out html/css" tutorials and such. The only bit that is kinda there is the github page for generator which again, not super useful to be honest. I know a few other devs that have been trying to figure out what we can actually do with Gen and it's just been sharing the smallest tidbits we figure out/find but we know there has to be more that we're missing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What you need would have to come from Adobe see what Adobe will do for you. Used Adobe Photoshop site Photoshop Family Customer Community

JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Coolio I'll give it a shot, Thanks JJMack

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Github is "the place", plus reading code comments for methods & params. In the end it's 90% about the event data format you can find in Github and getting the pixmap data for writing PNGs. The "API surface" for Generator is not that big, even if it's a bit PITA to get started. Also there's a Google dev group read by the devs (better than here at least) you can post questions / report bugs.

Google Groups

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool I'll give that one another try. I did come across it (or another Google group) when I was searching for info but it seemed dead when I looked last.

And yeah I know there's lots of comments/param docs but that honestly doesn't help that much compared to having ACTUAL documentation (even if it was loosely made...something at this point would be better than nothing) Like I know a lot of people complain about the PS scripting documentation but even that would be a joy compared to having to scroll through github source code to get going with an already big PITA project going.

Like I know a few people that have attempted to get started but given up because it's so convoluted to get going and then there's just no good docs on usage/what's available without literally looking at all the source code...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Does that Generator group still work? I can join them, but I'm not sure about as I can't see any content to know if I want 😕

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Sep 13, 2018 Sep 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have to add myself into the frustrated user group here. I see so many articles praising Generator as being one of Adobe's best additions to Photoshop but I find basically no information on using it or even getting it set up. It took me hours to figure out how to just get it set up and turned on and the best information I found for that was through GitHub. Instructions are linked to web pages that don't even seem to exist anymore. Example Plugins have no good descriptions on setup or use. Trying to even get them installed the right way to the right place is almost impossible.

And for all this, the only information I can find on what it does is to automatically save layers out to files in subfolders to where the psd file is whenever changes are made. If that's all it does, I can already do that with the built-in JavaScript functionality. I have to agree with Tool above me when he said any documentation would be better than what is out there now. The PS scripting documentation is a wealth of information compared to what one can find on Generator and Generator supposedly is a much more robust feature-filled addon to Photoshop. It's billed as "using Node.js to dig down into the core of Photoshop capabilities".

If anyone knows of any documentation anywhere, please let us know. I've followed every link posted here and the links on those pages but still nothing other than describing in general what it does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines