• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Getting rid of a hidden element in a psd file.

New Here ,
Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mobile-App-Screen-Mockups.jpg

Hi all, I thought I'd ask the experts, since I'm guessing this is a really simple problem for anyone with some experience.  I can't figure out where those translucent rectangles are coming from and I'd like to turn them off since they're adding a bit of clutter.  Shadows are great, but those rectangles are too much.  They're obviously each connected to one of these screens, but that's about as much as I can figure out.  I downloaded the template here: https://www.graphicsfuel.com/2017/02/mobile-app-screens-mockup-psd/

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 25, 2021 Jan 25, 2021

Can you show us your layers panel?

If the rectangle (shadow) and the image are part of a Smart Object, there is a possibility the designer has more than one layer inside the S.O. You can open the S.O. by double-clicking the icon and close it by closing the .psb. No guarantee this is true.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is apparently a layer mask, masking all the screens, that has accidentally been moved away from its correct position.

Look in your layers panel and go through them. Target the mask by clicking the mask icon, and turn on visibility of the mask in the channels panel. The eye turns on and off visibility.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi D,

Thanks for looking into this.  It's not an accident, though.  If you look at the link, this is an intentional design choice in the template... just not one that I want to keep.  When I click the eye on individual screens, it gets rid of the screen and the rectangle, but I can't find anywhere to get rid of just the rectangle.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show us your layers panel?

If the rectangle (shadow) and the image are part of a Smart Object, there is a possibility the designer has more than one layer inside the S.O. You can open the S.O. by double-clicking the icon and close it by closing the .psb. No guarantee this is true.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be honest, I find it hard to believe this is intentional. It doesn't make any visual sense, it really looks like a mistake. Maybe those who made the template botched it a bit? A mask (or adjustment layer with a mask) is extremely easy to move by accident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I didn't download the template, but I did follow the link and all the rectangles show up in the website. The screenshot of the Layers panel may clarify the issue. I have seen many botched templates, so that's certainly a possibility.

~ Jane

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thanks for all the help guys!  It was indeed a shadow, separate from the more typical shadow.  Took some digging, but I found the culprit.  Appreciate your time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines