• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient fill inside a layer mask doesn't play nice with texture

Community Beginner ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When applying a gradient inside a layer mask on a layer using the blending option 'Texture' the texture does not follow the gradient, its either on or it is off.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Have you tried checking "Layer mask hides effects" in Blending Options. Without it your inner glow will start at the 50% mask value

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fail to see a Blend Mode »Texture« so what are you talking about? 

Please post a meningful screenshot including the pertinent Panels (Layers, Options, …) and dialogs. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The relevant blending options are Pattern Overlay and Texture. I'm talking about a white fill layer (raster) that has been masked with an empty mask. I then use the gradient tool within the mask to gradually hide part of the layer, but instead it either hides 50/50 with a hard cut (no gradient) or is full black (the mask I mean). See screenshots.

ps1.png

ps2.png

ps3.png

ps4.png

ps5.png

ps6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post meaningful screenshots including all the pertinent Panels, not fragments. 

For example without the Gradient Tool selected and at least the Options Bar visible it is not possible to determine what kins of gradient you apply. 

Why did you rasterize the Fill Layers? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 13, 2020 Feb 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,  I also have an hard time to see what you mean whith those small images.

My 1st Q: did you try enabling legacy compositing in the preferences>performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good one, »Legacy Compositing« is so easy to forget once one has set it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2020 Feb 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What is legacy compositing?

What's happening is I have a flat white coloured raster layer (filled white inside a selection area) which I have applied a layer mask to (reveal all), and then I've filled the layer mask with a straight b/w gradient vertically. The result *should* be that the raster white layer fades gradually along the gradient line, the actual result is the raster layer disappears abruptly where the gradient begins changing to black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried checking "Layer mask hides effects" in Blending Options. Without it your inner glow will start at the 50% mask value

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Dave, this was exactly the problem - now displaying as expected 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're welcome 🙂

Dave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines