• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Gradient tool not working with layer masks..

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2011 Dec 20, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I'll start off by saying i'm not a photoshop expert by any means.. but I usually manage to get my projects done with a little fusing.

At the moment i'm trying to fade out the last few inches of a photograph so it blends more seamlessly into backgrounds it's placed onto.

If I use the gradient tool, set to "Foreground to Transparent" I get the proper effect, but instead of fading to transparent it fades to white.. which dosen't work when I move the layer over a coloured background.

I've read and watched many tutorials on this, and they all say to create a layer mask, and then use the gradient tool.. but for some reason anytime I have the layer mask selected the gradient tool won't work at all..

Can anyone provide any advice? I've been toying with this for hours..

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

And making sure that the blending mode for the gradient tool is set to Normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you check the Transparency box?

Untitled-1.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure the layer mask is active before drawing the gradient. (click on the layer mask in the layers panel)

If that's not it maybe you can post a screenshot?

Added: i see you already have the layer mask active.

Message was edited by: R_Kelly

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try setting the foreground color to black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 21, 2011 Dec 21, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And making sure that the blending mode for the gradient tool is set to Normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ding Ding Ding We have a winner!!

Mode was set to screen instead of normal.

Thanks to all who played!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Je t'en prie, Luc!

Feel free to stick around, watch, share and learn!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 07, 2022 Aug 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This worked, thanks 🙏

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jul 16, 2012 Jul 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for posting this discussion.  My problem was also resolved by setting the gradient tool to Normal.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 29, 2013 Aug 29, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IT STILL DOESN'T WORK!!  HOW DO I GET BACK TO THE WORKING PHOTOSHOP CS5?

Photoshop 12.1 x64 on OS X 10.7

The 'Blending' isn't the issue!

Using a black-to-white gradation in a white layer mask (everything exposed) is not working.

Using a black-to-transparent gradation in a white layer mask (everything exposed) is not working.

But, a using a white-to-black gradation in a black layer mask  (everything hidden) is working.

or, using a white-to-black gradation in a black layer mask (everything hidden) is working.

This used-to work; shall we keep an eye out for a fix or is Adobe going to back-out this their bug from the update that broke CS5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 30, 2013 Aug 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, went to Adobe's "Feedback/Bug Fix Form" at http://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family. Oh... the bug form doesn't submit - how distrubing (glad I've saved-off the text so I can share it here).

So, here's the bug I've been trying to get Adobe to have a look at - once again...

GRADIENT TOOL NOT WORKING WITH LAYER MASKS.

Given: Photoshop 12.1.1 x64 on OS X 10.7

Issue: BLACK GRADATION WITHIN A WHITE/TRANSPARENT LAYER MASK DOESN'T PAINT A BLACK GRADATION INSIDE THE WHITE/TRANSPARENT LAYER MASK

Steps to Reproduce:

1) Build an photoshop file 50x50 pixels file.

2) Add a new layer (layer 1) above the transparent layer (layer 0).

3) Put a color in layer 1.

4) Add a transparent/white layer mask to layer 1.

5) Select the "GRADIENT TOOL". Set the tool for a gradient from BLACK TO TRANSPARENT.

6) Select the transparent/white layer mask in layer 1.

7) Make a black to transparent gradient in the transparent/white layer mask in layer 1.

NOTE THAT THE WHITE TRANSPARENT MASK LAYER DOESN'T LET YOU PAINT BLACK.

Conclusion:

1) Using a black-to-white gradation in a white layer mask (everything exposed) is not working.

2) Using a black-to-transparent gradation in a white layer mask (everything exposed) is not working.

3) Using a white-to-black gradation in a black layer mask  (everything hidden) is working.

4) Using a white-to-black gradation in a black layer mask (everything hidden) is working.

Possible Fix:

Reverse the update that caused this failure.

Personal Comment:

This used-to work; shall we keep an eye out for a fix or is Adobe going to back-out this their bug from the update that broke Photoshop? When will this be fixed?

I use the gradient tool constantly inside layer masks - this bug has cost me much time, effort and emotion. Also, I've been trying for a couple days to get this bug information to correct "Adobe" people; I'm still unsure if this is really going anywhere. Adobe website isn't very friendly (in my opinion).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Aug 30, 2013 Aug 30, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try Photoshop CC, you're already 2 versions out of date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Sep 09, 2013 Sep 09, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re-install Photoshop fixed my problem. I should have tryed this earlier... After reinstalling and updating to current release, the problem vanished. So, it appears that my first assumption that this was a bug is incorrect - something happened on my mac that corrupted Photoshop in some way. Problem is solved. Thanks all for your suggestions and help here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 24, 2017 Jun 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there, the Internet,

I have this problem:

I want to use the overlay option, however, this is not available?

Why and how do I make it available again?

Thanks
Screen Shot 2017-06-24 at 7.11.20 pm.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PS: I'm working on a mac with CS photoshop 15.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Most likely because your document is 32 bits/channel.

Go to Image>Mode and select either 16 or 8 bits/channel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 05, 2021 Oct 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks fixed my problem change to 32 😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 15, 2023 Aug 15, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

An hour and a half of head-desk trying to solve why gradients were not working..  You sir.. are a Godsend.  Reset image mode to 32 was the trick. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Oct 19, 2019 Oct 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Good Sir! Its been driving me crazy why its not working  untill i set it to normal you're the real MVP.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
May 05, 2021 May 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank  You!!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 21, 2022 Feb 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My guy. 11 years later and you're still making a difference. I killed hours and kept deleting my work because I couldn't figure this easy fix. thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Oct 06, 2022 Oct 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much! Somehow my Gradient tool got set to "Screen" instead of normal and I was no longer able to use the Gradient Tool in Quick Mask Mode. I use this ALL THE TIME to fix shadows on flat surfaces then the lighting is uneven.  I'm so relieved to not have to go through a bunch of layer masks anymore to do the same thing with more steps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 14, 2023 Feb 14, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This saved me, too! Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jun 21, 2023 Jun 21, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines